1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 11/16/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 15, 2012.

1. torocan

torocan Member

The problem with this approach in terms of defense is that it LOOKS good, but it's actually MORE ineffective.

Lin's approach to defense is similar to Battier's... he doesn't try to out jump you, or out speed you, he moves his body to cut off lanes, he stays in front to funnel you to bad shooting spots, and he bodies up or sags back to give you the lowest percentage shots.

It's why Lillard had ZERO assists going into the 4th quarter.

All TD can do is try to deflect a pass. Lin however plays a more cerebral (and statistically more effective) form of defense.

Let's do a basic math exercise.

If you reduce a shooter over 10 shots from 50% to 40%, they score 18 instead of 20 points.

However, a SINGLE steal has the SAME impact as 10% reduction over 10 shots. Lin gets 2.5 steals PER GAME.

Now, to get an idea of how HUGE that is in terms of reducing an opponents ability to score, let's take a look at Lin's defensive plays.

According to Synergy Sports....

Over 9 games, Lin was involved in 117 Defensive plays. This includes direct isolation defense, defense of the PnR ball handler, help defense, and other defense related moves.

Over those 117 Defensive plays, he stole the ball 21 Times. Think about that... about 1/6 times he defends someone he STEALS the ball.

That means 21/117 times the Opponent gets a BIG FAT ZERO on that play.

By virtue of his quick hands, he automatically reduces the shooting percentage of his opponents by approximately 17.9%.

On TOP of that he has 6 BLOCKS. Big fat ZERO's for the opponents.

Toss in his ability to drive players to the right spots, stay in front of his defender, fight over picks, his willingness to take charges, AND his good rotation defense and you have a borderline ELITE defender.

How Good is his Defense?

According to Synergy Sports, Lin allows 0.71 Points per Possession... good enough as of tonight to rank him as 49th in the NBA. That's 49th out of ALL positions, NOT among PG's... in a league with 400+ players, MOST of whom are bigger, Longer AND Stronger than him.

Where does Toney Douglas rank?

0.87 ... good enough for 151st in the League. Or above average.

That said, Toney waves his arms alot.

3 people like this.
  2. Entropy

Entropy Member

If you're so tired of them, you wouldn't be responding to them so much. You should probably stop trying to attack me or insult me, and just talk about basketball, which you might be better at.

3. just a word

just a word Member

4. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Maybe you could coach the Rockets, torocan. Couldn't possibly be worse.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Trusting Toney Douglas over Lin is a firing offense. Has Sampson not seen ONE Knicks game? Coaches do not put Toney in at the end of games.

5. just a word

just a word Member

Now I'm curious, where does he rank in defense among PG's? Are there any PG's allowing less PPP than Lin?

6. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Torocan....please I'm begging you to apply for the coaching job of this team.

7. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Thanks Torocan, can you also give a breakdown of how many of the 49 players ahead of lin are starters (tasked with guarding higher skilled offensive players)?

8. mirus

mirus Member

dantoni knew that,woodson knew it too.(although i think woodson is a good regular season coach)

9. FacePalmMaster

I'm Asian, I've been called Chink boy, gook, etc. "Chinese boy" is considered tame. I have had ching-chong b.s. like what Shaq did to make fun of my language and my heritage. I do not find it funny. Yao is from China, he was relatively new to this country so he hasn't been fully exposed to the kind of racism that minorities experience growing up. And he is in the spotlight so he can afford to be gracious in the media. But just because Yao is ok with it, does not mean that me or any person of minority descent is ok with it.

And please don't act like this kind of stuff doesn't happen...even in the NBA or any organization. I'm pretty sure it does.

10. kinein

kinein Member

Excellent breakdown.

11. torocan

torocan Member

No idea offhand, and I'm not going to go searching for it. :grin:

12. instar

instar Member

as always thx, tor. it's great.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Too many factors but if you're in a close game and someone is hot shooting the ball then you want to play more up close. You get caught sagging on a screen and go under, then the opponent gets a good open shot. Not saying TD doesn't allow that but that's the type of defense you want against a hot shooter.

14. Mr. Space City

have any nba experience to prove that instead of guessing?

15. munco

munco Member

oh man. it's mind blowing why TD played the entire OT over Lin tonight, but that video is just ruthless.

16. just a word

just a word Member

Hmm, then may we request DWade and Battier's numbers for comparison? Or perhaps Tony Allen and Andre Iguodala? They're generally recognized as elite.

17. munco

munco Member

HTML:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n7pK8vQeePM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. torocan

torocan Member

Which is exactly what Lin did. On the ONE time Lillard scored on Lin when he was put back in, it was a contested fadeaway jumper.

Lin cut off his drive, put his hand in his face, and elevated. Lillard just hit a tough shot. Defensively, you can't do more than that without fouling unless you're long enough to block it.

19. rocketsfan7

rocketsfan7 Member

Epiphany, ala Steve Jobs, this is the Jeremy Lin Reality Distortion Field in effect.

Everyone who encounters it is affected in different ways.

20. kinein

kinein Member

I'd rather go with a guy that has a chance to give us -

+1 steal or +1 block or +1 forced turnover or +1 assist or +1 clutch shot +1 rebound.

Putting TD in only because he gives you an EYE-TEST increase - doesn't mean ANYTHING.

ITS ABOUT WINS and the best possible chance to secure a win!

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ....