1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming vs Ralph Sampson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Jun 29, 2009.

?

Who's the better center?

1. Yao Ming

106 vote(s)
    73.6%
  2. Ralph Sampson

38 vote(s)
    26.4%
  1. devin23

devin23 Member

Both very good big centers but both seem to succumb to foot injuries in the later half of their career. Who is the better rocket center?

2. MandM's

MandM's Member

get your **** right. Sampson had a knee injury that ended his career.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yao has been better but Sampson had more potential.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

completely different players:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGj4W9V-wCk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGj4W9V-wCk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2002_3559650

Sampson was a different kind of animal, and a vastly different kind of center, than anyone had ever seen. Despite his angular 7-4 frame, Sampson could dribble, pass, shoot from the perimeter and - of course - rebound and block shots.

But in a curious twist, the versatility that made Sampson unique was the very reason he was constantly knocked by fans and the media, all of whom seemed to believe that 7-4 men should make their livings in the paint. But a player like Yao, along with lengthy forward Kevin Garnett, is celebrated for possessing those same skills.

"Yeah, that was my game," Sampson said. "That's just the way I came up playing. I never wanted to be limited by being strictly an inside player, so I learned to play facing the basket, too. I figured that would make me that much harder to (guard). I was versatile.

"But they (the fans and media) had never seen a big man who played like that, so they knocked me, calling me `soft.' I've heard guys like (NBA analyst) Bill Walton talking me down on TV. I don't know. I guess they wanted me to be like Manute or (Muresan). Now you see big men doing the same things I was doing back then, and they're cheered for it. It's funny."

Not funny was the end of his career. Sampson, who was billed as "the center of the next millennium" when he graduated from Virginia in 1983, lasted nine seasons, the same number as Nevitt. And while Nevitt is regarded as one of basketball's vagabonds - have height, will travel - he played for the same number of teams (five) as did Sampson.

"I was way before my time as far as my abilities are concerned," Sampson said. "Had I been coming out today, a three-time College Player of the Year, my salary would be $200 million."

Ralph didn't have a foot injury

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2006_4062974

What the Rockets also didn't know was the first crack in their foundation had appeared when Sampson was undercut while going for a rebound at Boston Garden on March 24. There was a sickening thud when his head cracked against the parquet floor. However, the real damage was done to his back and left hip.

Big man hobbled

Sampson sat out for the first time in his career, missing three games and coming back with a limp. When he began to overcompensate for the pain in his hip, it led to the start of knee problems that would require three operations and cut short his career as an All-Star player. For the final six weeks of the regular season, Fitch closed practice to the media to keep a lid on the extent of the injury.

"It was hard thing to see," Fitch said. "A lot of days, he could barely run, and he couldn't do anything to stop Dream defensively."

"I was never the same from the time I went down in Boston," Sampson said. "It was like I couldn't play my game."

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao took us to the second round and then he couldn't play anymore :(

Ralph.. the play that shocked the world

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i7rsqsNf4SE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i7rsqsNf4SE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. BAM

BAM Member

i think most people on here are too young to remember sampson

7. tinman

Supporting Member

or the jackson 5 cartoon

[​IMG]

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yao, at his peak (assuming it's already passed), was better than Sampson was at his. Ralph had about 2-3 really good years and it was downhill from there. Sadly, it was the first 2-3 years he was in the league. After that, he was an average to above-average PF playing alongside Hakeem and hopping from team to team. He was a 7'4" guy that didn't want to bang down low and was inconsistent at times with his scoring and rebounding. Ralph was more mobile and handles the ball better than Yao, but Yao was a better player in the post. At the rate their careers went, both may end up having succumbed to injuries far too early.

BTW, Ralph was only the center on a consistent basis the first year to two years of his career. Once Hakeem got here, Hakeem was pretty much the full-time center with Ralph splitting time between PF and C. Yao was a true C. It still makes me chuckle when Ralph would piss Gene Peterson off when he did the pbp on the radio. Ralph would bring the ball up the court and try to get fancy with it and maybe turn the ball over and Gene would be like "damn Ralph, quit getting fancy with the ball - give it up to a guard!"

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ralph Sampson, the center (huh?) with the famous foot injury (huh?).

It's hard to compare Ralph with Yao because as DoD points out, Ralph only really had three years where his injuries didn't affect him on the court. I think Ralph was much better player than Yao if you compare their first three seasons in the league though. Ralph never had a healthy prime so you can't compare the primes of both players and but even if you did you have to factor in that Ralph had to share touches with Hakeem. Who knows what his numbers would have been without Hakeem on the court with him.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

IMO Sampson gets a bad rap. He was very skilled for his size. I watched him while he was at virginia and through his nba career. To me he was Garnett before Garnett. I hear people calling him a bust but I don't agree with that. Obviously his knees prevented him from being one of the greats but for those few years he was Awesome! And he gave me one of my favorite Rocket moments sinking the lakers in 86. I thought that team would win multiple titles. So anyway injuries or not he is one of my all time favorite Rockets. And yes he played more power forward than center so to me it's not a legit question. But damn was he good :D

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I agree with much of what you said except the part about him being Garnett before Garnett. Yeah, he was a big man who had a bit of range and moved and could handle the ball, but what makes Garnett Garnett is his non-stop motor and his tenacity. This is exactly what people criticized Ralph for - he seemed bored out there and didn't always put in the effort. He had the talent, but didn't always seem to have the heart out there.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree with you 100% on that. I meant skill set and should have been clear on what I said. He also was not very happy at least for a while playing the 4 and somewhat second fiddle to O. Yeah I love KG's fire. If Sampson Played with as much passion as KG who knows. There were times when he put up some Gaudy numbers

13. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

It's hard to say as to what might have been had this incident never happened. I consider Sampson a lot more athletic than what we've ever seen of Yao. IMO, Yao would be better suited being used in the same manner that both Frank Layden and Jerry Sloan used Mark Eaton.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Yao is the better center. But Ralph is the better player.

And Ralph play PF for rox. He injured his back or hip. But not his foot.