1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any famous sports figures or movie stars come from your local high schools?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Oct 18, 2000.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

The only notable one that I know went to my high school was Joseph Blair. He was drafted by the Sonics out of the University of Arizona in the second round about 3 or 4 years back, don't exactly remember. My high school was a small one by the name of C.E. King HS.

------------------

2. Nomar

Nomar Member

The director? and creator of Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, and other movies is an alum of my high school. Also, Rushmore was filmed at my high school. (St. John's School)

------------------
    Starting at shortstop, for the Houston Astros, Nomar Garciaparra.
    or
    Starting at First Base, for the Boston Red Sox, Jeff Bagwell!!!

3. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

ROGER CLEMENS!! And now, if he gets good, Robert Ferguson, Texas A&M QB. Spring Woods High School located on the NW side of town right across from Memorial City Mall down N.Gessner. Pay us a visit sometime! [​IMG] Speaking of famous sports figures, I'll be adding myself to the list soon under "basketball". My debut will by Nov.13 against Jersey Village High at Spring Woods. Come and be amazed!

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

a former rocket im not sure which one and pretty soon me...j/k

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Adam Hall-starting SG/SF for UVA.
    Rob Peters-former starting QB for Texas Tech
    Michael DeLaTorre-starting TE for eaTme
    Sean Riley-former starting C for North Texas and Illinois State

Renee Zellwegger-star of such movie hits as Jerry Maguire, Me, Myself, and Irene and Nurse Betty

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

R' Us, I saw Clemens pitch in high school.

I went to High School with Country Singer Doug Supernaw. Anybody ever hear of him?

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Ron Gant and Stone Cold Steve Austin are from my hometown. Didn't go to school with them though.

rockHEAD

------------------
    *** THIS SPACE FOR LEASE ***

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Woohoo! A chance to brag about my school. Let's seee, Amber Valetta is from my school, so is Ryan Humphrey(was at O.U., now plays for notre Dame), Etan Thomas, R.W. McQuaters, Demond Parker (plays for Green Bay now, out of O.U.), Richard Dumas, Lee Mayberry, Wayman Tisdale...and some other guys I'm probably forgetting. Not the most famous of people, but at least notable.

All products of Good ol' Booker T. Washington High School. Drop on by anytime you find yourself in north Tulsa! [​IMG]

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

I attended high school with Selena (and had no idea who she was until much later). Also Marcus (Mark) Nieman, great grandson (?) of the founder of Nieman Marcus.

I went through school with the daughter of Ron Paul, congressman and former presidential candidate (libertarian). He delivered my sister.

I went to college with Michael Johnson.

My mother taught the granddaughter of the Texas Cheerleader Murdering Mom (daughter of her older daughter, not the 'famous' cheerleader). She ran for cheerleader, and I kid you not, the school decided to take all 17 or so girls running for the squad.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

In the 9th and 10th grade I went to Hillcrest High School in Greenville (Simpsonville actually), S.C. just a few miles away Kevin Garnett would go to Mauldin.

Years later.... but anyway... [​IMG]

------------------
    "Everyone I know has a big but...

come on Simone, let's talk about your but."

11. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Off the top of my head: Chuck Knoblauch, Jose Cruz, Jr., Elmer Bennett, and Dennis and Randy Quaid. If you want to include pro draftees, there would be dozens more, myself included.

------------------

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm so sick and tired of grummett lurking around, then coming in and making some conceited remark about himself. Please, so you were drafted. I bet about half of us were, no big whoop.

[​IMG]

That's cool, what sport?

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited October 18, 2000).]

13. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

LOL. Believe it or not, I did have second thoughts before hitting the submit button but then I thought, what the heck? I'm actually fairly humble about my past athletic accomplishments because that's what they are, past accomplishments. Since you asked, I was drafted by the White Sox out of high school.

------------------

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was kidding, and I'm jealous.

[​IMG]

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of yourself and umption.

visit www.swirve.com

15. Summer Song Giver

Grummett....A.K.A. Al"I Played Highschool Football or Baseball in this case"Bundy [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not the type to eat it up but the type to hit it raw dog and seed it up.

16. Summer Song Giver

I too am jealous although I was a member of my High school Bball team that won State and Nationals,I was last on the bench but it's still one of my favorite times of my life.We had so much fun!

------------------
    I'm not the type to eat it up but the type to hit it raw dog and seed it up.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Joe Roff and Richard Tombs went to my HS.

------------------

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Cristal Bernard

Mike Capel

Mark McGriff

Spring Class '80

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

19. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

T. Boone Pickens, Carolyn (Morticia Addams)Jones and Ron (Tarzan) Ely all went to my high school (obviously much earlier than I did, though).

Former Philadelphia Eagle and A&M Aggie William Thomas was in high school in my hometown around the same time I was (he's a little older than I am), but he went to a different high school. Olympic Wrestler Brandon Slay is also from my home town.

I went to high school with the son of Ralph Erdmann, a pathologist who was profiled on Sixty Minutes (though not in a good way). And Dustin Camp, who was profiled on 20/20 (but not in a good way), is also from my home town.

Oh and Mercury Morris went to college just down the road as did Duane Thomas and French Stewart (from 3rd Rock From the Sun). Former 49er John Ayers lived in Canyon for many years prior to his untimely death a few years ago. And Former Raiders QB Jeb Blount is from my home town, too (and he still lives there. He's a stock broker or something.)

And I was in the second grade with a girl who was an extra on Beverly Hills 90210, but that's really stretching for a claim to fame.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    DFW Sports Board

[This message has been edited by mrpaige (edited October 18, 2000).]

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I could have made the pros, but then I *ahem* hurt my knee. [​IMG]

Lou Diamond Phillips went to my high school Selena ate at my mom's restaurant all the time.

------------------
    "It's not a matter of if we will win the NL central, it's by how many games." Barry Larkin

[This message has been edited by gr8-1 (edited October 18, 2000).]