1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taylor deal turned down by Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBar, Dec 29, 2004.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

At 2:17 pm on Sports radio 610 - 12-29-04 Rick Lord was discussing what happened before the Jackson - Boki for Wesley trade. Lord said that the Rockets inquired with about trading Taylor for P.J Brown. New Orleans countered asking for the Rockets to include the 2005 1st round draft pick.

The Rockets declined this trade because they did not want to include the 1st round pick with Taylor for Brown.

Rich Lord made the point that you have to do this deal to get ric of Taylor...

I agree. The rockets will never get a better deal /ofer for Taylor. We could have gotten rid of this contrract and had a servicable forward in Brown. He is old, but he would complement Howard with defense and rebounding.

I am really diaappointed the Rockets did not do this deal.

Now - do you think this information has credibility? Did I get this right -Can Rich lord be relied on??

2. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I don't know what to think, we haven't had any luck or handled draft picks well at all, we could use that pick on a young athletic PF who can rebound... PJ wouldnt be playing too much longer.. and we'd be even older!

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I did not want to grow older either, and I really do not know how much game Brown has left, but I liked the idea of being rid of the Taylor contract...

I wish we could have kept Jackson and got rid of Mo's contract -then losing a 1st round pick and guaranteed contract seems a small price to pay,,,

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't know if I would have done this deal or not. PJ Brown is 35 and has a contract that runs for 2 more years. He would be a nice fit here though.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Although PJ Brown is much better than Mo, he is at the end of his career. We need to plan for the future and keep our picks.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

So we can put them at the end of the bench, never give them playing time, and then trade them for an old player?

Van Gundy has never developed a young player and i doubt he is going to change his ways.

To me with Van Gundy in there our Pick is really worthless.

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

With the management we have now - a guaranteed contract -1st round pick is a liability, not an asset.

We would do well to get rid of Mo's contract. PJ Brown would complement Juwan with rebounding and defense. He is no Otis Thorpe, but would be an improvement for us now...

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The way things are going this season, it might actually be a pick for a player even JVG couldn't bench. That is, too, assuming that JVG is still the coach.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Van Gundy will play a young player if he is good. He gave Boki a shot, he just wan't good enough. Do you really think JVG wouldn't play LeBron or Howard?

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think that deal should have been done. P.J. Brown is another older player. You add on an older short term player and lose a possible long term player in the draft pick.

It would've been a nice deal for this year, but in 2 years or less we're searching for a PF again.

11. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I like that CD didnt give in on that deal, no more age on the team.. I dont feel we will use any draft picks unless we tank the season and head for the big ball tank and use them to trade up and get someone good, or use them for trade, but not for someone as old as PJ

#11 Davidoff, Dec 29, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Fair point. But in fact that is what each and every NBA coach does. the primary NBA coach's job is to win - left to them they rather have the pieces in place. Rudy did not even give Boki, Rhodes, Livingston, Drew, etc a chance because they sucked. Does that mean he is not-young player friendly?

Talking about developing young players (stack24 this one is for you), please tell me how many players the following coaches have developed (in the real sense of "development"). I ask this becasue there is a lot of myths surrounding this topic.

Rudy T
    Phil Jackson
    Brown
    Riley

This is test question with sub-plots so answer wisely.

13. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Van Gundy will play a young player if he is good. He gave Boki a shot, he just wan't good enough. Do you really think JVG wouldn't play LeBron or Howard?

We are not talking about a 1st overall draft choice here! Van Dummy will let our pick rot on the bench. I would do that deal, even though Brown is not young he's still better than the toilet tissues we have disguising as PFs.

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Actually the way I mean it and say it is more of in the sense of letting a player be effective for their teams. I can easily look down the list and say that none of these coaches has ever developed a player in the sense of from a rookie to a star.

The one thing however that all of these coaches have in common is they have allowed players that are young and less known make a name for themselves and play a pivital part in the team.

Rudy had Horry, Cassell and a few others that contributed to the team and helped us win championship.

Jackson - Kareem Rush, Tyron Lue, Luke Walton. All of these are young players that were all given chances to play even in playoff times to make a name of themselves and actually did decent.

I just believe that the one thing that these coaches had in common was that they did give players a chance to play. Based on their play they did get more minutes and actually did something for their teams. None of these players benched or sent players to the IL because of one bad game as JVG does.

His management of the team is the problem for me. He did give Boki a chance to play and show what he can do. He might not be a superstar but neither are the players Rudy or Jackson had. He used the most of bench players and young talent to change things up.

Boki contributed and could have done much more than some of the players he gave playing time to in my opinion. That is the part that bothers me the most.

Of course if anyone has a lebron etc they will play them because they are superstars. But you need role players as well and Boki was one of those. I like AB and other young guys we have had in the past.

So maybe i say it wrong as far as using the word develop. But i just feel that those coaches gave young players a chance to make mistakes and play through them and find a place on the team.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont doubt we turned down that deal. And I am GLAD we did. This team needs to get younger. We can't keep making these "quick fix" moves. We made a committment to winning a championship with the Tmac trade that blew up this team. Let's not patchwork the rest of it. We need to GROW this team, mold it into something. We need to add YOUNG quality pieces to it. To do this we need our 1st round pick, which might even be a lottery pick.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Gave Boki a shot? You gotta be kidding me. Maybe a shot of brandy. But he sure didn't give Boki any minutes on the floor.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

r u serious? We coulda had PJ Brown? Why keep the draft picks? The Rox haven't drafted anyone worth a lick cept for Yao in the past few years. Even if he was good, no way JVG wolda played him unless the Rox tank and get a top 10 pick. Totally absurd, Drew Gooden going off against the Rox totally exposed our ****ty PFs

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think giving up a first round pick would have been a bad move. We just might get a good player out of the draft. Even if we don't get immediate results out of a pick it might work out for us in the future.

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

You forgot one...

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So now, after giving up 3 picks for EG, and not taking Rashard with one of THREE first round picks, we are holding on to one?

What a joke CD is....

Oh, and did we mention the first rounder we GAVE away for Utah to take on Rice's contract.......Beautiful.

DD