1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pain from lifting weights

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AggieRocket, Jan 30, 2005.

1. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

First, thanks to everyone who gave me advice in my previous thread regarding getting in shape. I have been following the advice given and I am actually seeing results.

Now I have another question for you...as of late, whenever I have been doing bicep curls on an arm curl machine, the bones of my forearms have been hurting immensely. I can barely do two sets. Is this normal? Maybe it could be from the fact that I have increased the weight on the machine recently. I am debating whether it is arthritis or something and if I should see a doctor. What do you guys think?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Are your elbows pushing down hard on the padding when you're using the bicep curl machine? Maybe that force is being absorbed by your forearms. I don't use the bicep curl machine much, but when I did I tried to make sure that only my triceps were on the padding and taking the force. Do you get forearm pain when you're just doing stand-up bicep curls with dumbells?

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

How long have you been lifting?

4. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Ask a trainer if you are properly using the bicep curl machine. If you are using it correctly you probably should go see a doctor to see if you strained or pulled something.

Just my 0.02

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I never liked those arm curl machines. I always preferred the free weights. Whether free weights would help I don't know.

Have you dropped down in the amount of weight you're using? A lot of guys take on too much too soon. I've gotten back to the gym after awhile off and I'm doing mostly OK but kind of overdid the leg workout the other day.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I've always wondered if it is like a shin splint (I used to have it). I ask how long you've been lifting because under stress, the body steals calcium from it's calcium 'bank': the bones. A lot of bone -related injuries occur around 2 weeks after starting a workout regimine when the bones are at their weakest (the bones ultimately get much stronger than when you started).

Bothers other also: http://www.worldfitness.com/showthread.php?t=3215

7. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

I guess it is a mixture of what you have been saying. As bigtexxx
    asked, I have been applying a lot of pressure with my elbows on the bicep curl machine and Cohen's link hit the problem that I have been having right on the dot. The problems mentioned on that link are exactly the problems that I have been having. The only difference from the link is that my pain used to be exclusive to when I finished a set and now, it actually starts while I am completing a set and escalates when I finish and am ready to release my grip.

I am hoping that the pain gradually goes away as I continue working. I am really not using a lot of weight (about 65 pounds), but I guess the percentage I have increased over one month is pretty significant (almost 100%). Age might be a factor in it too.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I just started back myself and am kinda sore. I can't wait till I'm in it for a few weeks, so I can work out harder.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

What you have is commonly known as "shinsplints in the forearms". I say that you probably are doing too much weight as well as putting too much pressure on your elbows. Find another bicep exercise to do such as alternating dumbbell curls or hammer curls, etc.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Always check with a trainer to make sure you are using a machine properly.

That's what leads to most injuries in the gym...improper technique.

If you have the proper mechanics and technique you do two things:

1. You maximize your workout...you get the most bang for your buck.

2. You minimize undue strain on joints, ligaments, and tendons thus minimizing injury.

So, check with a trainer to make sure you are doing it correctly and it you are and it still hurts, check with a Doctor or at least give that machine a rest.

Remember, everybody's body is different and they all change from day to day, but the machine is static with one variable (weight). If changing the one variable doesn't help, that machine might not be right for you...try free weights or a different machine.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You may have a touch of tendonitis.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One more thing use free weights instead of a curl machine ~ they force your arm into an unnatural position particularly if you are lifting a lot of weight.

13. TL

TL Contributing Member

Anybody got a link to the original thread with tips? I'm going to start back up, but it's been over a year since I worked out consistently. I'd love to hear some tips to get back into it most efficiently

Gracias