1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it possible to trade for both Melo and Paul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I think if you can put Carmelo and Chris Paul on the same team with Yao, they'll both re-sign with us, and we'll have our own big three capable of competing with anyone. But do the Rockets have the assets to accomplish this?

First, this is all predicated on Melo turning down an extension from the Nuggets, causing them to panic. Second, Paul demands a trade out of New Orleans as they continue to tank. Under those circumstances...

Houston trades Kevin Martin, Jared Jeffries, and both the Knicks' 2011 and 2012 picks to Denver for Carmelo.

Houston also trades Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks, Jordan Hill, Chase Budinger, and $3M cash to New Orleans for Paul. New Orleans then uses the $3M cash to buy Battier out and he returns to the Rockets.

PG: Paul/Lowry
    SG: Ariza/Taylor
    SF: Anthony/Battier
    PF: Scola/Patterson
    C: Yao/Brad Miller?

I hope that Morey is thinking about a big picture like this, waiting for the trade deadline to see how the situations in Denver and New Orleans play out. I could easily see us trading for Melo, and then Paul, seeing the opportunity, demanding a trade to Houston, or vice-versa. I think these guys want to play together and meet the Heat in the finals every year.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Probably not.

The trading teams aren't going to cooperate with Melo and Paul teaming up with a 3rd superstar, especially in their own conference. We'll be lucky to get either one. Although Paul is the guy to have of the two of them.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Aren't they unrestricted free agents next summer, and itching to go to NY?

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No way in hell New Orleans does that deal and highly unlikely Denver does that either, though the threat of Melo leaving makes slightly more plausible.

5. Houston_Rockets

No, melo is a FA, CP3 isnĀ“t

PeAcE

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Melo is. Paul has 2 years remaining with a player option for a 3rd.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Who knows, after the summer of Bosh, I am tired of wanting Stars who rather play somewhere else (NY).

8. Raven

Raven Member

If Denver can't get a commitment out of Carmelo then anythings possible, but what trade for a guy who's obsessed with joining the Knicks?

The next CBA needs a franchise tag.

9. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

The more likely trade scenario would be two separate trades for CP3 and Granger.

My gut tells me that we trade AB for Granger before the season starts or early in the season and then acquire CP3 after Jan 1 as he becomes increasingly disenchanted with NO.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Balderdash.

If the Nugs and Hornets trade their stars to us, they're in rebuilding mode, simply because all they will get from us is pieces.

This whole 'they won't trade to help build a superteam' thing is nonsense. It's about money, not feelings. Unless own the Cavs or Mavs.

11. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

Sure it is. Just turn on 2K10. That is all.

12. Toast

Toast Member

You can't have your Battier and eat it too.

P.S. I like Brooks/Lowry just fine. But getting Carmelo Anthony would be awesome.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

New Orleans won't even think about dealing Paul unless they can package Okafor with him too. I think we should just stick with hoping for one of them for now.

Even though I like Paul more as a player, and don't care for Carmelo personally, I think 'Melo would be a much better fit and really increase our title hopes. I'd love either one of them, but if I had my choice I'd hope for getting 'Melo without having to trade Brooks or Martin.

At this point, I'll gladly take either if they agree to re-sign.

14. joesr

joesr Member

he is hoping they buy out Battier which I love how people automatically assumes that. Why would people do that when he is an expiring decent player/

15. redao

redao Member

impossible. It is even impossible to get one of them.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's still not that easy. You have to enable trade override. ;)

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Melo doesn't take the extension with the Nuggets, I guarantee you the Nuggets will move Melo before the trading deadline.

NY will offer up very little because they can just sign him in the off season. No other team will want him because he'll bolt.

Only a team that has lots of talented young players and picks - like NY's 2011 pick, and is thinking of making a run at the championship would be interested in taking Melo as a 5 month rental off the nuggets.

And if Melo wins a ring in Houston...that could change his ambitions about NY.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Getting melo is pointless if u trade Martin for him!
    Ariza would be a liability at SG!!

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

with a sprinkle of collusion and a dash of tampering, anything is possible!!!

1 person likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

What we need to do is get Pat Riley to do the groundwork for us, off the record and behind the scenes, of course. He did a splendid job over the last few months on setting up that whole Axis of Ego thing for the Heat.