1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Rodgers named NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ScolaIsBallin, Jan 31, 2015.

1. HRox832

HRox832 Member

If true, he needs to be socked in the face.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Congrats to A-Rod

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hopefully Aaron Rodgers doesn't equal Steph Curry... taking Houston's MVP. :(

To everyone saying only QBs win it, Peterson won just 2 years ago. His team was a huge surprise making the playoffs and he was within a few yards of breaking the all-time rushing record. I wanted Watt to win, but never thought he would. Rodgers only had 5 INTs vs 38 TDs.... an all-time historic ratio AND his team made the playoffs. For Watt to overcome that, he needed to score more (preferably on defense), get more sacks, and/or cause more turnovers... enough to make the playoffs. Watt might win MVP eventually, but it's tough to when your team doesn't see January.

#23 Houstunna, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. Major

Major Member

The reason I used a middling alternative is that's what is available. Rodgers could be replaced by Brady, except that it's not like you can just go get a Tom Brady. But you CAN go get a middling QB - it's the NFL version of a replacement level player in baseball.

By your standard, if Tom Brady and Tony Romo didn't exist, Aaron Rodgers becomes more valuable to the Packers. I'm not sure that's the best way to look at it. I think in reality, all of those guys are just that valuable.

5. Major

Major Member

As noted by Houstunna, AP just won it two years ago. Over the last 10 years, it's been won by non-QBs 3 times.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At least over the past 15 years the MVP hasn't come from team that didn't make the playoffs. Its either been a qb or rb.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You feel wrong and didn't watch Rodgers much this season. He consistently does stuff no other QB can do, just like JJ did compared to other d-linemen. He took the position of QB to another level this year.

Watching JJ every game gives us an appreciation of how special he is. Other fans see his stats and highlights but just don't get the real picture.

I watch Rodgers a lot and the same thing applies. Name any other two QBs this season and they aren't close to him. When you see the plays he makes that aren't on ESPN's highlights, it's clear he deserved MVP over JJ (even though it pains me to say it). 38/5 doesn't tell the whole story.

9. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Why Wilson and not Brady? Both are in the SB. Wilson relies on that hall of fame defense and running game. Brady doesn't. And Brady had better numbers

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm just pointing out that you don't know how much value any one player is adding. It's just a guess.

Take the middle scenario. Rodgers plays 8 games and misses 8. His team goes 8-0 in games he plays and 0-8 in games he doesn't but sneaks into the playoffs and wins the Super Bowl. Chances he wins the MVP are practically zero... He'd get discounted for missing half the season.

I get we don't have the extreme examples here... But the point I'm making is the award isn't most valuable... It's most value combined with most production.

again, it's just a guess and it's not just about value above a replacement player.

The fact that making he playoffs or not plays a role speaks to that. Or use the Colts. the Colts absent Andrew Luck are terrible terrible terrible. Worse then GB without Rodgers. Probably way worse. If replacing with average QB. Yet the Colts made it just as far as the Packers. Did Luck get any MVP votes?

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's been won by a QB or RB every time but 3 times.
    A QB is the overwhelming majority.

In a world where defense wins championships (which appears to still be true), this doesn't strike anyone else as odd?

Again I concur that QB is positionAlly the single most valuable position by far.

I didn't check but when the RBs have won in the last 15 years, has that RB also won OPOY? I assume so.

Those are the reasons I advocate renaming the award the QB of the Year.

The fact that occasionally a RB wins... But only in a year when there isn't an amazing QB furthers that. Any year there is at least one amazing QB a QB will win.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I don't know why people are even arguing about this. The Texans didn't make the playoffs. Case closed.

His individual accomplishments allowed him to get #2 when his team didn't make the playoffs is crazy in itself.

Rodgers deserves it. This guy was unreal.

13. conquistador#11

congrats to rodgers for his flag football award. if Nick foles plays 16 games last year, he would still have less ints than state farm. Nothing special about aaron's season. Watt on the other hand, teams have to run plays to the other side, triple team and hold. Refs allow the defense be physical and rodgers crumbles.

real mvps were plaid and tuck in their shirts.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would've liked to see Watt win but this seems like a lot of sour grapes. Maybe since I live in MN and am a Cal fan I see a lot of Rodgers more than y'all in Houston so I can tell you he had a historic season also. Russell Wilson and certainly Nick Foles ain't Aaron Rodgers. While JJ Watt also had a historic season let's face it his play wasn't enough to elevate the Texans to the post season while Rodgers' play did. Unfortunately that is an inherent difference to the two positions they play and also that this is a QB centric league but if we are talking MVP the value of the player to the overall success to the team and the league is what counts.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

if watt wanted to win he should not have missed on romo. bahahah

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Exactly!!

17. conquistador#11

thanks for pouring salt on wounds. 3rd and 2 in ot! run.

but yeah you're right.

18. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Packers/Texans fan here. Lol it's funny how A-Rod can still get criminally underrated.

Wish Watt could have won it, but I'm still happy Rodgers got it. I think it truly came down to if the Texans made the playoffs though. I don't think AP would have won it a couple years back if they didn't get in the playoffs or it would have been super close between him and Peyton (I think he won 60% of the votes). He had a monster game against my Packers to get in and pretty much sealed the trophy. If the Vikings lost that game, he would have been short of the playoffs AND the rushing record so there wouldn't have been a good reason to really give it to him over Peyton. It's pretty much the same case here IMO.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Comparing a DL to a QB is ridiculous and so are subjective awards. It's a kin to a junior high school popularity contest. Statistical Awards >>> Voting Awards especially in today's age of metrics. Who gives a **** about a group of old, crotchety, smug, and vainglorious sports writers and their opinions. Most of them are a bunch of fan boys or haters anyway.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hey Hey John McClain isnt ol umm he isnt uh crotc um well he isnt smu, damn you're right. Nevermind.