1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Rodgers named NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ScolaIsBallin, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

3. BleedsRocketRed

As expected

Rodgers 31
    Watt 13
    Romo 2
    Murray 2
    Brady 1
    Wagner 1 (WTF??)

4. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Every argument against Watt winning MVP makes ZERO sense.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

The Mofos had a chance to do the right thing and screw it up. The NFL is so furked up right now.

6. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Well Rodgers did have 4,400 yards, 38 TDs, and only 5 INTs.

I'm still really disappointed Watt didn't win MVP because his season was HISTORIC... I guess he lost out on it because we didn't make the playoffs :/

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

The thing is that Watt is now getting the recognition. His team has to follow suit. The biggest knock on Watt had to be that his team didn't make the playoffs and he isn't a quarterback (unfair, but its how the system works). But him getting 13 votes is very impressive.

If he has a 20 sack season again and the Texans are in the playoffs, he will get it.

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I won't even bother discussing the Rodgers over Watt thing because I'll just get heated and there's no argument for Rodgers winning over Watt that makes sense to me.

What shows how much of a $h!tshow this is the fact that Bobby Wagner got 1 vote while Justin Houston got none.
    Wagner has been solid since his return after missing a number of games but it just seems like the voters(or one voter) wanted to nominate a Seahawks defensive player. Was he even the best player on their defense this season?

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...I get it. QB > DE in terms of value, and his team made the conference championship while Watt's didn't make the playoffs. It's not an egregious decision, IMO.

Watt is just so much better at his job than the next best player. You can find another guy who's near Aaron Rodgers' level. You cannot find another player who is near JJ Watt's level.

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Rodgers won. Fine. But if Watt can't earn it for the season he had, then no defensive player should ever win the award again. So then they might as well rename the award.

11. Major

Major Member

Why do you need to rename the award? It's not a "how much better are you than others at your position" award. In the NFL, certain positions are simply more valuable than others. A great QB is always more valuable than a great DE, even if there are several other great QB's out there.

The award is not for the player having the best season; there are two awards for that, and Watt won the defensive one while Murray won the offensive one. It's accurately titled the most valuable player. If any team could choose between Aaron Rodgers and a middling DE or Watt and a middling QB, they'd pick the Rodgers combo every time. QB is just more valuable than DE. It's same reason Murray was the best offensive player, but Rodgers was still more valuable. QB > RB as well. The only way for a defensive player to win it is a season like Watt's while there's no particular outstanding QB season.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

/thread.

I'm very disappointed for Watt because it would be so awesome if he won. But Aaron Rodgers deserved MVP.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

MVP needs to be renamed, MVQ for Most Valuable Quarterback

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Taken to an extreme though this logic would imply that you could give it to an injured QB, too. Let's say Rodgers gets injured next year plays 0 games and the Packers go 3-13. Then I'd rightly say Rodgers was the MVP...

... Cause if we're just talking about value, performance doesn't matter.

Don't get me wrong... I get and agree with your general conclusion... But also therefor agree they should rename the award to QB of the Year. I think that's a no brainier.

15. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

if we would have drafted bridgewater, we make the playoffs, and watt gets his mvp

16. Major

Major Member

But value does involve results. The valuable player actually has to provide real-life value, not theoretical value. The injured Rodgers provides no value to his team. The healthy one helps them win a whole of games.

You could do that, but why? The award seems perfectly titled - Rodgers WAS more valuable than Watt (and Murray), even if Watt and Murray was the better player. If Rodgers had his same season and Green Bay went 8-8, he wouldn't have been as valuable. That's why they have multiple awards.

There's no reason another position theoretically CAN'T win the MVP - they just likely won't. If some kick returner scored 30 TDs, they'd probably win MVP - because their impact on the results would be as much or more than the best QBs.

17. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Who the hell voted for Bobby Wagner???

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Rumored to be Tony Dungy.

19. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

The MVP should just be named QBMVP because no other position has a chance to win it... If a QB won it this year it should of been Seatles Russell Wilson who is actually in the SB

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You're using a choice between Rodgers and a middling DE or Watt and a middling QB as a way to determine value.

I'd prefer using the choice as to who was the most valuable at his or her position AND for his/her team. Now everyone knows how valuable a good QB is to his team but I prefer to consider how replaceable that player is on their team as to how valuable they are. Rodgers is quite replaceable imo. I feel at least five other QB's in the league could do just as good a job as Rodgers did in helping the Packers win the division and getting to the playoffs. As for Watt, I don't think the next best player at his position could have done for the Texans what Watt did this past season.