1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerome Solomon: McHale [a.k.a. the Human Rick Adelman] may be good fit for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 26, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Holy cow! Even Jerome Solomon has joined the Rockets PR department! :) The description of him sounds quite like that of a certain Rockets coach we might remember from recent years.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7581783.html#ixzz1NLHAuMUC

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

See,
    McHale was always our man!
    Because Finch really is.
    I guess Adelman didn't agree.
    Because Turner should be.

I think we have the makings of bad rap song, sung by Les

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I do think McHale was always the front runner. They just wanted everyone to get on board before they made it official. Since he was a GM, he understands what Morey has to do to build a championship caliber team so he isn't going to complain like RA did.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have had plenty of time to plan this. Combine that with the Celtic connection and I would imagine Les, Morey, Kevin, and Chris have known for quite awhile.

5. Kevin McHale

Kevin McHale Member

Wait till you see my bench staff of Larry Bird, Jerry Sichting and Tommy Heinsohn.

6. anchel

anchel Member

Everybody is now trying to sell us McHale, still I'm not sold on him. "Free-flowing offense, as opposed to a highly-structured one with players looking to the bench for calls all the time."?? Translated to tough defenses that's horrible offense. A band.

Better Frank or Casey, please.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well we weren't exactly successful with less defense and a high structured offense, so maybe the opposite will do better.

8. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

helps upgrade Rockets image with players

With the Rox not having the best reputation in the league with players for the way they handle their players as assets and tmac/adelman sagas, I could see Mchale instantly improving that reputation. Players seem to really like him and everyone respects a hall of famer.

So, for Morey, I think this could be very important in his ability to execute his plans. As much as McHale will be the coach, he will no doubt help Morey with some GM work/contacting.

If he can bring defense back to the rockets and wants free flowing offense, I think that would fit this team perfect because I think that lends itself well to the leftovers from Adelman's offense and the players themselves.

The third part of this is him understanding more than the other two coaches that Morey wants Finch in as an assistant and to provide a mentor for Finch. I think with the other two coaches there would have been too much pressure down the line from a coach in the waiting. But, with McHale, I don't see that being as big of an issue (I think he could handle that). I think if he lets Morey sort of assemble some of his staff, then hopefully the Xs and Os falls to his defensive/offensive assistants and he can focus on motivating and leading the team.

I was initially more interested in Casey for his defense, but I can't argue with the Rox needing a franchise face lift to get the players they want and Solomon brings up good points about improving the records of the two half seasons he coached (esp. since I think you can't really measure how good a coach is until he has had the team since pre-season.).

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

It still doesn't matter who coaches this team...Phil Jackson can coach this team and we'll still be a mediocre team IMO.

Our biggest need is still a 7'0+ big man who has rebounding and shot blocking abilities. Without that, the team is not going anywhere. Cant count on Yao to be that guy...

10. anchel

anchel Member

To build a strong defense you need discipline, hard practices, sometimes you need to get angry with some players, is McHale that type of coach? Because being "a players coach" is cool when everything goes well. When things go not that well, does he have the respect of players? Adelman at least had the seniority and experience to be respected. What does McHale has?

I don't know the McHale coach, honestly. What I don't buy is what is being said about him. Motivation, charisma, leadership... that's all very good, but then it's the part of coaching, is he truly as prepared as Casey / Frank at that part? Or are the Rockets underestimating it?

Are they giving that responsability to Finch? With McHale's consent? So would we be talking about a true 2 headed coach? Would the players accept that? Would McHale be respected by the players if they see that their real coach is the other guy (with no NBA experience)?

Isn't it easier to hire a coach like Casey?

11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Would this be Rudy T 2.0?

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I keep hearing rumors that Love wants to be traded. Love loves him some McHale. The McHale angle is making a lot more sense.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Solomon is trying so hard to paint McHale in a positive light. He's cherry-picking data on McHale's interim coaching to make him look good. The worst example was "but it was just 4-15 (.211) under Wittman with the same players," so he cut out a bunch of wins from the control group by saying Undisclosed Player X was playing at that time. No context, no consideration of strength of schedule or anything. Terrible argument. Why does Solomon want to sell us McHale? Is he nostalgic for the 80s? Are they friends? Is he getting paid? I don't get it.

Otherwise, I'm starting to come around with the Finch conspiracy-theorists. McHale is the only one of the three that would tolerate an heir-apparent on his staff. And, most of his experience is as a GM. Could it be that he's planning on a 2-year stint as coach and Finch-mentor and then a move to the front office to make way for Finch? I guess I won't be too surprised if that happens. I would be surprised if that happens with Casey or Frank.

14. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

My thoughts exactly.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, I'm destined to live the rest of my days in a pain amplifier, eh? Visions of short shorts, chest passes, and the weave....along with 80 and 86 Finals on a reel over and over....Your little Leprechaun Sichting ... ruining Ralph's career...Cornbread burns us (playing out of his mind), we get burned again when we give up the world for his corpse.....

#15 Plowman, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If by "free-flowing" he means undisciplined and overly reliant on screen roll isolations, than Solomon's definitely describing McHale's offense. He'll connect with the players and the team's going to play hard on D, but don't expect the offense to be anywhere near as efficient as its been the last couple of years under Adelman.

I hope everyone's looking forward to the return of Rudy Ball.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I don't think so. If they hire the package of McHale/Finch, look for most of our passing attack to continue.

18. Precision340

Precision340 Member

lol.. and topped off by Les' laugh at the end

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

I still can't believe this guy might be our coach smh

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is our Coach.

Rocket River