1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the NY Giants lost Jeremy Shockey, and look what happened to them..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bluerap04, Feb 27, 2008.

1. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Ok, maybe not the greatest of comparisons, but my point is this:

We are still a very good team. Yes I said "very." Our offense is getting better with every game. The addition of B.Jax is of high value.

And who knows?

Maybe Gasol will not play well with Bynum..
    Maybe the Spurs really are too old to repeat yet again..
    Maybe the Suns really are screwing up their chances with such dramatic changes to the roster (I really believe that)..

We have a great mature team now who believes in themselves, with or without the support of the gloomy fans and the sensationalistic media.

We WILL make the playoffs!

How far we go in the playoffs.. its hard for me to say, but we're good enough to go deep.

I BELIEVE

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The only positive- and believe me, you would take the negative side of this any day times 1000- is that we literally have "nothing to lose." If we don't make the playoffs, no one will be criticized (including Mac) because the majority don't expect us to make it, anyway. We are going to be the underdog in EVERY SINGLE playoff series unless one of those teams' star player is injured. So, if we lose, it's to be expected. There will be no disappointments at any level if we lose unless they are self-imposed. The pressure of getting past the first round is excused because no one is going to fault us if we don't.

3. ricky812

ricky812 Member

I also believe we can advance in the playoffs if we get a good matchup but the NFL and NBA are totally different.

1) There are 11 players in the NFL while only 5 in the nba each player means more
    2) Jeremey Shockey is not as good a tight end as yao ming is a center
    3) Jeremey Shockey does not play defense so he doesn't play half the game
    4) The NBA playoff are best out of 7, the better team usually wins, in the NFL anything can happen in one game, considering each team only gets about 10 possessions, a turnover can cost a team the game.

4. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Your reasons are why I stated that the comparison isn't the greatest of such, but my point and opinion is that we are still a great team and can compete with the best of them.

5. ricky812

ricky812 Member

I completely agree. I have little doubt we will make the playoffs and i think we are going to surprise a lot of people in april and may. I remember vividly last year when tmac led the yao less rockets to a 20-12 record and the team played imo its best stretch of basketball of the season. This year we are deeper and deke, scola, landry, and hayes are all well rested having not played starter minutes all season so i think they will fill in nicely. Landry and scola being rookies will continue to get better each game and alstons game recently has been promosing so I am feeling good about us.

6. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

We're definitely on the same page, We've been big in media with the streak, and then the injury, and we will be in the news again once everyone sees how good we really are.

7. RocketsFAN3035

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Shockey and Tiki really...

9. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

1) Bigger text doesn't make one smarter

2) Read between the lines..my point is that the team overcame adversity doubt and found a way to win.

10. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

forgot "and"

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

If I'm understanding your thread correctly, you're not really comparing Yao to Jeremy Shockey's loss , but rather the TEAM as whole perservering through against all odds, right?

I like the comparison between us and the Giants, particularly in relation to the underdog tag placed on us, and basically all of the media picking us to lose or crumble. However, unfortunately, while I don't think our future is as bleak as some of mediatards and even some of us here think it is, I think it is ambiguous.

I don't get all the senseless knee jerk reactions by some of the writers who probably never even glanced at us or even followed us before this, who immediately think we're going to sink without our fearless leader (no sarcasm intended, he is). Well hell, they probably must have REALLY short memory, because last year many of them were probably writing about how Houston was riding along so smoothly with Yao out and Tmac dominating.
    But this year, I think, with the situation in the West, we literally can't afford to lose more than 10 games the rest of the way. I will entirely guarantee anything, but that doesn't mean there's no chance for them to pull a miracle, against all odds.

So this is all I can do as a true sports fan....and thats to stick with my team irregardless, even though I might feel depressed right now....

GO HOUSTON! GO TMAC + SCOLANDRY+ THE REST OF THE TEAM! PROVE THEM ALL WRONG!

12. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Bingo

I like your attitude :cool:

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Oh here's a good comparison you can use:

Tiki=haters against us

In that case we will prevail and kick their words back up their a***

14. rvpals

rvpals Member

Appreciate your optimism.

The New York Giants are great. Jeremy Shockey is no where near as important as Yao to the Rockets.

15. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

Of course he isn't, I agree.. but again what I'm trying to say is that the Giants flew under the radar because everyone in the league underestimated their potential, even with the loss of one of their best starters... well I think of the Rockets the same way.

The loss of Yao won't hurt us as much as the majority is saying it will.

16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

lets keep it short and simple . . i like your true rockets fan dedication of this team overcoming to comparison with yao out . .

. . let's just think about it like this in one simple sentence and just hope for the best: THE ROCKETS ARE THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE, WITH OR WITHOUT YAO!

. . ENOUGH said . . :D

NOW IT'S TIME TO BELIEVE AND START WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS!

17. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

No, it is not, not even close.

Shockey always b**** on Eli and getting rid of him is a huge positive to the development of Eli. Shockey was a problem.

Lossing Yao has no positive on the court.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Giants were one botched Manning pass from losing it all. I think the Rockets already used their "Get Out of Jail" card against Phoenix. Mario Elie had it in his wallet.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Lol Jeremy shockey gone.... thats not even really comparable to YaoMing's situation being gone.

Yao is one of 5 players on the court.. Shockets one of 11... and Shockeys not even the main guy. Theres BRandon Jacobs + Manning + Plaxico and then maybe Shockey.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Jeremy Shockey/Giants =/= Yao Ming/Rockets

But I see your point and I also believe that you can't just hand the trophy over to the team that looks the best. There is a reason for the playoffs. Sometimes surprises happen, that's why we all love sports. The Giants are a perfect example of this. I mean, Who predicted them to win the superbowl especially after the season they had and the seasons New England, Dallas, Green Bay, Indy, etc. had??? A realistic comparison (at least more realistic than shockey to yao) would be the Rockets to the Giants as The more elite teams to the aforementioned "powerhouses" of the NFL.

Miracles happen in sports, although I wouldn't count on it. :(