1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update (3/26/2012)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Mar 26, 2012.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

DJ Lance Rock

3. Dedicatedrocket

I cant wait to see some new faces in rockets red. I say we move up in draft not trade for superstar.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Thanks Bima! It is always nice to read these

5. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Thanks BimaThug. That was a great read.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Great article. I think it's really about trades. They have so many assets, big and small, to trade or facilitate trades. Because outside of the 2 guys they are EXTREMELY unlikely to sign, there are no other players worth having cap room for anyway.

7. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Someone brought up a point about trading Lowry that has been ringing in my head a while. He could be traded along with picks. Because this draft is not deep on point guards, it is possible that we trade Kyle + 3 1st round picks to make a HUGE impact on someone who will lose a Marquee player (All-star type). The questions arise, who in the league needs a PG really badly? Who is on that team worth trading for that much?

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sacramento for thier pick would be a solid choice.

If Deron won't commit here, resign Dragic and Lee to six million dollars deals, Camby for 3. Sign Asik for whatever is left and then trade for Dwight at the deadline. Should be enough to keep him around.

9. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

How about packaging Kyle for a high draft pick? Maybe to Cha, NOH, or Tor?

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Three weeks ago I would have asked if you were high.

Now, Im not so sure that is a bad idea. Lowry is a damn fine PG who Im glad to have as a starter, but it seems Dragic is making a case for how good he is as a starter as well.

If Lowry has enough value to use as a primary piece in a trade for a difference-maker, maybe the FO should consider it.

11. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

Can't wait to see Montejunas in Rockets Red

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I understand this line of thinking, but then I'm reminded, we need a dance partner in that scenario. Not only a dance partner, but a dance partner with something to offer us. And quite frankly, I just don't see anybody out there that is a good match. I guess it depends on your definition of "difference maker".

13. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

It seems to me that Dragic may be the new Aaron Brooks: very good as a "new" starter on the league. But as teams ajusts to his style of play, he would begin to fade. I would keep Lowry

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I would have thought the same thing. The emergence of Dragic allows us to have the (key word) flexibility to trade Kyle. It's a good problem to have. If we plan on resigning Dragic, I hope we trade one of the two. They're both just too good to be a backup. Trade one and get maximum value out of it. Whether it be a high draft pick or a solid veteran at another position, I wish they'd trade one.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Totally agree.

I'm honestly not advocating moving Lowry as I love that we do not see a dropoff when Lowry sits, but with Dragic showing how good he is, it does give us the flexibility(You said the secret word) to add a guy who is better than anyone else we have(my definition of a difference maker)

Surely someone out there is in need of a really good(borderline great) PG.

or maybe not, but hope springs eternal.

Sorry for the minor derail Bima, thanks for your posts, Im a CBA geek and I love to read about the intricacies of it that you provide. As usual, I gotta pass around some greenies before I can show my appreciation again.;)

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Flexibility is there since Morey could do different moves to improve the team. As free agents, I still think Deron is not going to come here, a high draft pick is a better way to get a very good player since Morey is very good on the draft, not on a big time trade (Houston is not LA, or NY too). I hope that somehow Morey can manage to get a high draft pick this year.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's your world, BimaThug.

Thanks for the good work.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For all those saying "Trade Lowry" just remember the timeline here. IF the Rockets traded Lowry it would have to be on June 28th. The fact that Goran Dragic is going into this summer as an unrestricted free agent means that July 11th would probably be the earliest they could get a deal made for him. Trading Lowry before inking a deal for Dragic could be incredibly risky for the Rockets if Goran decides to walk on the Rockets, or another team offers Goran ridiculous money going forward.

1 person likes this.
  19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Great Bima, always look forward to your pieces.

I wouldn't mind this move either. Lowry is a great player but I don't see him ever being a perennial All-Star (I have been wrong before) and the chances of us actually landing a star are much higher with a top 3 draft pick.

It may be minor but Houston would save $2,520,800 if they were to trade Lowry for say the 3rd overall pick (according to the 2008 rookie scale) further increasing their cap space. Can't rule out that other pieces could be involved in a deal as well.

Also lets not forget the value of a 3rd overall pick, Derrick Favors is the reason the New Jersey Nets were able to land Deron Williams in the first place. Adding a top 3 pick would give Houston that marquee trade piece that could help land a superstar like Dwight Howard.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As always well written article about the cap situation, and unfortunately, as always, the Rockets are in a holding pattern......

AGAIN !

DD