1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about this sort of Texting ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ramu3, Jun 25, 2010.

Tags:
?

Do you have a problem with short handed texting?

1. Yes

66.9%
  2. No

26.1%
  3. What's Texting ?

7.0%
  1. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Ok i have been meaning to see how members of ClutchFans felt about this topic .

I have some friends who seem to have a bit of problem with people who text like this :
    For Ex:

My texting lingo : I c wat u did dur .

Normal English : I see what you did there .

Do you have a problem with this sort of short handed texting ?

2. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

Normal english

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I personally thinks its r****ded that people revert to spelling incorrectly and abbreviating things the wrong way...

that said, I do substute/shortcut things on occassion, but doing so is very lazy and find myself correcting it before I send it out...think of it this way, if you had a girl you're interested in or a parent see that, don't you think they'd look at you different for being stupid...or at least thinking you're stupid...

4. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

I forgot to mention , keep it mind it this applies more to friends/family/ etc and not for business or professional situations .

5. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

I just hate how people type like "dIzz" "U wnna hng 0uttt 2dayy?" That's pretty stupid to me. I'm fine with people typing without uppercase letters and grammar you would normally use on a paper or something.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Unless, you are in high school I believe you shouldn't be texting like that. I really can't stand short hand texting and it usually is harder for me to read than normal texts.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If someone texts me in a non-facetious way with that kind of spelling I immediately remove them from my contact list and then I seethe about their ignorance leading to the intellectual decay of society while sipping an imported IPA and watching a soccer match.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

it depends for me if i know the person has a flip phone then i dont mind a short hand text like the first example since its a bit harder to text on those phones.

if they have a phone that has a full qwerty keypad then i usually prefer an actual written text message but the occasional u (you) or r (are) doesnt bother me. if the whole message was written that way i wont bother responding back

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I immediately lose interest in any females that text me that way...I dont mind the "ok, c u there."

But anything more than that is just ridiculous...like a "dats wut I wuz thinkin"...because you arent really saving any time by typing that, you're just being an idiot.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Every time I read a text like that, my rectum seems to prolapse.

1 person likes this.
  12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It takes me longer to read something in texting language than it does for me in normal English. So yes, it annoys me.

I could understand the need for efficiency when everybody was texting using the number pad. But now that it seems the majority of phones have qwerty keyboards, it doesn't make as much sense to use it.

And if you type that way on an actual computer, then **** you! Learn to type.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yes, substituting words of equal length (like "wuz" for "was") is incredibly r****ded.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i feel much better about myself when i get a text like that. so i'm all for it. ;)

15. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

With word prediction software or smartphones, or T9 on keypad phones, it is a negligible increase in the number of taps it takes to spell out real words.

It's cool with me for some shorthand words (dunno, cuz), but it makes no sense to me for people to do it consistently.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

normal english...please.

17. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

I hate having to read a text 3 times before I understand what the hell they are trying to say. I usually type the whole world out when texting except if I'm only trying to send a page or 2 I will then just have 'u' '&' 'cuz' and leave the g off words. The only person I don't mind text me like that is my homegirl from the Bahamas only because they speak broken english anyway and I usually hear her voice when reading texts so I understand what she is saying.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was hoping for a sexting thread... :(

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*chuckle*

Press 1 for English
    Press 2 for spanish
    Press 3 for Text

Figure you hate those two.
    I recall when I was younger. . . older people thought the word 'AINT' was the height of stupidity. Now it is pretty much accepted.

I think people search and look for reasons to judge someone 'unintelligent'
    based on the most inane of reasons.

I see this as no different.

Does it bother me . . . no more than getting a text in Spanish, French, stenographer's shorthand, etc
    <which would be harder for me to translater>

Rocket River

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking... what say you, RezDawg?