1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For those of you who wants Swift bad, pray with me!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Dear Lord, please let not greed conquer the young heart of Swift. Please have him sign with us and take over the starting job at PF next year.

2. Got Em

Got Em Member

Every year, fans hope that some worthy free agent will takes less money to go to their team; and every year, it never happens....well unless you're old and got paid already.

3. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

my gut feeling has told me all week that somethin will happen monday....and i have a good feeling about it, whatever it may be.
    but dont take my word for it...dont want to get bashed 40posts in :D

4. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Mondays are neve good for me, and it doesn't look good for Rockets too, because they know they can't get Swift for MLE. well i am going to pray that we get a STARTING PF this summer.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I have a feeling I'm going to be very disappointed tomorrow, and I know I shouldn't be. 25-year-olds can't be expected to take a $3-4 million per year paycut.

Methinks now is a good time to warm up to the idea of Walker, SAR or DM. *sigh*

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

its only a paycut if you have gotten the amount previously.

Just because he(or his agent) think he is worth 9M doesnt mean he actually is worth 9M...the market will determine what his actual worth is.
    the only teams that can actually pay that much appear to have other fish to fry...

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Stromile needs to sign with Houston for the full MLE for 5 years. Then give Stromile a "Player Option" after the 3rd year when the Rockets have his "bird rights". He exercises the option at that time and the Rockets can sign him to an extension and a big raise. Just remind Stromile of how the Rockets took care of Mo Taylor and Shandon Anderson.

8. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I feel that we will again end up empty handed in the free agent market this year.

9. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I think CD ought to give a time limit to decide, so if it doesn't work out then everyone else isn't picked over.

This dude is going to take his time and then go where he can find the most green.

I triple dog dare anyone to tell me otherwise.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The reports that I heard said that CD believes that Swift will make a decision today.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Swift needs to come to Houston and be part of the best front line in the NBA: Yao, Swift and Tmac. :)

12. GladiatoRowdy

That would definitely be an impressive starting frontcourt.

13. fa7999

fa7999 Member

But that front is not enough to win a championship. Rockets also has an urgent need to upgrade its backcourt in order to have a chance in the playoffs.

14. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Swift has too many good options at much higher pay. No way he picks Rockets.

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Swift would be the best choice...It could happen...(Dreaming)

16. GladiatoRowdy

I disagree. We wouldn't have an URGENT need at that position until later. Signing Stoudemire, NVE, Payton, or Mobley would be enough at the MLE (assuming Memphis decided to do a SnT) to solidify us until we can make a run at someone higher profile once we get close to the trade deadline. That is when our expiring contracts will be able to bring some value as the teams out of playoff contention retoool their rosters and try to dump salary.

With Swift on board, I would be happy starting the season as-is since we really did quite well in the regular season last year with Wesley, Sura, and James.

17. GladiatoRowdy

Most of the teams with cap space have already committed to other FAs. Only ATL and NO really have the room to sign him for more than the MLE and neither of those teams will be winning anytime soon. If Swift wants to get to the playoffs during his next contract, we are his best option.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

And while you're at it, Lord, how about giving him a decent mid-range jumper and light a fire under his ass so that he'll try hard every night?

Thanks,
    JVG

19. blabla

blabla Contributing Member

It seems that CD should have set an exact time as a deadline instead of just Monday! :D

20. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Whoever (new players) we get now or in the future doesn't matter much as far as championship is concerned. The way I see it, it all depends on whether Yao will elevate his game to THE NEXT LEVEL (22pts 11rbs guy). If he becomes like a Pau Gasol (18pts for the rest of his career), no championship for Rockets.