1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where should I go out to eat for my birthday this year?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mic, Feb 26, 2010.

1. mic

mic Contributing Member

My birthday is this weekend, and I'm sad to say that I'm not all too familiar with Houston's best restaurants. Last year, my boyfriend and I went to Reef and to be honest I was a little disappointed. It's got so much hype built around it, and I guess I was just expecting a lot more. FYI, I had the scallops. My boyfriend had the redfish (wish I had gotten that).

This year, same deal. I'm just planning on having a quiet dinner with my boyfriend. He wants me to pick the restaurant, which is fine by me. I'm not really picky, but I don't want it to break the bank. Something in the ~$25 or less for an entree range. Can you guys give me some suggestions?

The type of cuisine doesn't matter. I really enjoy all varieties of food. And we might not necessarily be going on the weekend, so you don't have to factor that in. Any help would be appreciated :)

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

catalan
    catalan
    and catalan

:drool

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I went to Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast Kitchen earlier this week. That was pretty good.

5. mic

mic Contributing Member

Thanks, keep 'em coming. And if you can recommend any stand out dishes from the places you're suggesting, that'd be great too!

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What about Yao's restaurant?

You can see his oversized dining room.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

this thread ends at catalan, trust me.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Taste of Texas. Mmmm. I just get the salad bar by itself and it fills me up (salad bar comes with any entree). Steaks are pretty awesome, of course.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'll recommend a place called Kata Robata off Richmond & Kirby. Only if you like seafood and sushi though. They have imported fish and it's amazing imo..

They have an appetizer called fish & chips which is delicious. It runs around $18 but the entrees will fall into what you're looking to spend.

10. BmwM3

Man I used to go to that place ALL the time when I was little. They used to have a location off of 45 called Blue Oyster Bar. Man I miss that place.

I go to Tony Mandola's every now and than when I'm craving their whole fried catfish.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

And their burrito size egg rolls.

Honestly, I'm not too fond of Yao's. Kasra is right next door and a million times better.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i never understood why people order scallops and a really nice seafood restaurant. There is just only so much you can do with scallops. Reef is awesome though...try the snapper.

Crappitos is good and fair priced italian.

There is a great place called Just Dinner, but note, it's byob and it's a very quiet and cozy atmosphere (make reservations due to limited seating).

Max's wine dive but that doesnt seem like a great b-day place. Uptown Sushi is a pretty cool place.

La Griglia is good but may be a bit more expensive than you are looking.

There is a new place downtown, but i forget the name. It's a bar/restaurant but they had some good selections...damn, im blanking.

Catalan is a pretty good place to get a steak

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

OP, it might be helpful if we knew what part of town you wanted to stay in.

14. mic

mic Contributing Member

It really doesn't matter. I live in the burbs so anything in Houston is going to be a bit of a drive.

15. mic

mic Contributing Member

Yeah, it definitely was my mistake. I hadn't had really good scallops before, so I wanted to give them a try (but in retrospect I should have tried something else). I'll have to give Reef another shot. We had the mussels appetizer as well, and a dessert (I forget what it was called), but the whole experience just wasn't what I had imagined.

16. BmwM3

How about your: Likes, Dislikes, and most importantly PICS
    of the things you like to eat?

17. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

[​IMG]

18. Landlord Landry

19. mic

mic Contributing Member

I like seafood a lot, Latin, Italian, Korean, Japanese, American... Like I said, I'm really not picky. There's only one thing I don't like: mayonnaise. And I'm pretty sure I can avoid that everywhere :)

20. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Ruggles is open again after Ike. You might also want to look at a place on Westheimer called Mark's (or Mark's American Cuisine).

Neither are cheap but both are really good.