1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Positive Thinking on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pocket Rockets, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Pocket Rockets

10-5.
    10-5.
    10-5!

Guys, we are beating the teams we are supposed to be beating. We are 10-5! In previous years, as an average team, we might have beaten a pretty good team, but lost to a horrible team....a win is a win and a loss is a loss. It doesn't matter who we beat until the playoffs, as long as we are winning.

We are starting to get the other teams best performance which is why its hard to beat a great team. If we were an average team, one of our losses would have become a win because we would have been overlooked and gotten the other teams average performance while we would have stepped up our game for a great team.

We are criticizing our team, i am guilty as well, because we expect perfection. Its ok to expect perfection but we should also praise when we do well. This team has been hyped up ever since we got bonzi and the thought of our team on paper has excited us to allow these expectations to enter into our thoughts.

Somebody in another thread said miami was 1-9 last year vs. dal, sa, pho, and det. It matters in the playoffs. The rockets in 95 were 1-4 against the spurs and 0-2 against magic in the regular season. Doesn't matter.

We will continue to get better, Mcgrady will get his shot back on a consistent basis, Bonzi will play and contribute for this team, Yao and Battier will continue to impress, Head is proving himself well, Snyder will come back like Elie in 95 and play good minutes in the playoffs when we need him.

I am happy with our record, do i think it should be better? Heck ya! But i will take it and continue to look ahead with positive results.

Remember, we are going to get everybody's best game, now that we are being watched!

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I agree, I don't feel down about the rockets current situation, I feel depressed that in the last two true tests (San Antonio and Phoenix) the have failed. We really had a chance to win in both cases, oh well. Look to the future.

3. THEDREAMSHAKE34

Hey man im right there with ya not complaining , im enjoying a 10-5 start and believe we will only get better as tracy will find his shot sooner or later it is only a matter of time, and we are getting wins while he is struggling with it im fine

4. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

I dont think anyone here is sad that the Rockets have won 10 games. I think people are more concerned about the future games this team will play, with not such an easy schedule and being on the road much more than right now. Its the issues people see that they know will plague the team during those times when they are away in hostile arenas.

Teams come on the floor of the Toyota center (the good one's) smelling blood.The 4th quarters have been a disaster and the team is anywhere from slow to complacent on making adjustments. They're still jacking up 3's like there is no tomorrow and are without a 3rd scorer.

If you think the same few players can log all of the minutes all year and keep winning in this manner you're fooling yourself and all you have in hand is fools gold.

5. Pocket Rockets

Let me stick to positive thinking then...

Every team has faults. The upper echelon teams have an identity and have stuck together for awhile. We are in the midst of getting to that point.
    Its an 82 game season...we have that much time to correct our faults and become a better team by the time the playoffs roll around.
    Things will be different come march and april...they were two season ago when we had jimmy jackson and tyrone lue playing heavy minutes, only to end up having jon barry and david wesley and mike james lead the entourage.

It will happen. Bonzi will play and so will snyder. Its a long season.

6. windfern

windfern Member

There's always sunshine after sunset.

[​IMG]

7. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Sure they do. To compare this team to the elites is not right though. This team has no idea how to close out games after having 20 point leads.

We don't rebound almost at all without Chuck Hayes in the lineup.

Those are basic things you need to win and we don't have it.

8. stangend77

stangend77 Member

i think you have a good attitude, and a glass half full personality. unfortualtely i dont have the same attitude, i am happy with the number 10-5 but not completely satisfied with how we got there. i do agree we are beating the teams we are supposed to beat but even in several of our wins we let teams back into games that shouldnt have even been sniffing a comeback. the other thing that worries me is that these let downs seem to be of the same formula, ie we fall in love with the three, start playing sloppy defence, and dont even come close to matching the emotion of the team we are playing. i will end by saying if we win 10 out of every 15 we are set, but in order to contend for a championship these errors of judgment and heart need to be addressed. that being said i am happy we got a better start than in recent past years and look forward to a good year! go rox! :D

9. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

stop being so optimistic, there's so much crap wrong with this team.. starting with stubborn coaching.... passive players. we're only 6-5, b/c i don't count wins vs. the lowly knicks and grizzlies. anyone can beat them..

we are playing like crap. yao isn't demanding the ball, t-mac is shooting horrendously, and bonzi is no where to be found, that and our "distribute first" point guard is shooting more shots than yao.. oh yeah. our good shooters all have humongous liabilities. head can't dribble, he's only good for spot-up shooting, novak can't play d worth a lick. the only 2 ppl i respect on this team for playing to their abilities are hayes and battier.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was never thinking negative, but 10-5. so far so good for the season.

Yao has continued his domination from last year.

Tmac has looked strong, even though he cant hit a shot i really do think he is still getting into hios rythme. I'd rather have him hitting his stride at the end of the year than the beginning.

hayes is playing out of this world. think if he actually had a decent mid range jumpers. :eek:

battier is what basketball fans know him to be. a dam good player and is doing nothing to change that opinion.

head has improved his ball handling and is still a deadly shooter.

its a shame snyder got hurt, if the rockets want to make a serious push i think he will be an important factor. if he plays a little smarter and continually attacks the basket like he is capable, he is a big asset.

so far so good for this season. Its not all sunshine, but its mostly sunny. We havent yet seen the best of this team

11. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

i mean c'mon guys.... we need players who play better when the situation gets tough.

example time:

last game vs. suns. t-mac misses a million shots until the suns build a 12 point lead. the game is then over and t-mac proceeds to hit 3 3's.. dude? where were those 3's earlier.?? cmon man. step it up.. where's your f'in confidence, your superstar status?? where are you when we need you man? stop being a lil biatch and play like tracy m'f'in grady.

12. Pocket Rockets

Why can't i compare this team to the elites? Isn't that what everybody on this board is doing? Isn't that why you are criticizing the thought that we don't have the basic things to win?
    If we are an average team then why do have to complain about being up by 20 points? Im sure Utah's opponents are feeling the same after all those blown leads as well.
    Obviously the basics are there or we wouldn't have 20 point leads to begin with and we wouldn't have a 10-5 record.
    I think we rebound fine without chuck...we do have yao who averages 10+ rbs a game, battier and mcgrady and even rafer can pitch in with a few rbs.
    Its when we don't have yao and chuck at the same time and have juwan as our primary big man.

We are a work in progress

13. nahmorlah

nahmorlah Contributing Member

Yes...because T-Mac was obviously missing on purpose... Sometimes, your shot doesn't come back for a while. He'll get there. Besides, if you're not gonna count wins against bad teams, then our record is gonna suck. Almost the entire Eastern Conference should be considered one of those lowly teams.

14. Pocket Rockets

haha...you are a funny guy.

Thats called garbage time....arent you glad he at least made them for his confidence level for the next game?
    He will be there when it counts.

Isn't it funny that you are criticizing every soul on this team yet we are playing 67% winning basketball?

15. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

records can be deceiving.. i'm just speaking the truth of what i see and observe.. if you don't agree that's fine. i still love tmac and yao, but what i said is true and i still stick by it. they aren't playing well, regardless of record.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it's too hard to think positively. how do i do it again?

:p

i'll give it a try....

we are 10-5.

we are on pace to win 54 games.

we will get better over the course of the season since we faced a very tough month with more road games than home games, and more games against winning teams than not. we also lost our best +/- guy for a while and then lost a rotaion player. we also are still putting up with the distraction that is bonzi wells and tmac hasn't been tmac at all.

once those things clear up, we will really get rolling and improve on our pace and win more than 54 games.

i can't wait.

17. one blood

one blood Member

the game against the suns showed us one thing. #1 was the leading scorer for our team and he was 9/26 from the field, and we didnt get the job done. i wasnt able to watch the game personally but yao only took 11 shots total and that is way too low.he needs to be getting 15-18 shots a game. for this team to be able to win, yao has to take more shots that mac, and #1 needs to be option #2.

18. Pocket Rockets

How can it but the truth if its your observation?

Anyways...mcgrady has a history of slow starts...if this continues into march then we have a problem
    yao is carrying us in the first month....its what happens when we have 2 superstars....mcgrady will carry us at some point in the season as well

Like i said...it will take time before we all gel together and it will happen at the right time, as we enter into the playoffs.

19. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Mcgrady and Rafer need to step it the **** up and start making their shots.

39% percent is 39 percent, which is not good.

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

But it seems COACH van gundy is OK with them taking shots despite the poor %.