1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros and Angels make final offers on Tejada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rcoleman15, Jul 29, 2006.

1. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Member

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/a...58&PHPSESSID=cd37d39313b3cebf357f4fbf7ac2bdf7

Saturday, July 29, noon ET: The Astros and Angels have made their final offers on Miguel Tejada. The Orioles now have to decide if it's enough to give up their star shortstop. The Astros have a backup plan in Julio Lugo, but need to act quickly because Toronto is also in on the Devil Rays shortstop. Tejada is more likely to move if the O's are willing to absorb a bit of salary in return for him. One other team took a look at Tejada and decided to pass. "There's some questions there. The Palmeiro thing and he's checked out on the O's. I don't know if going to a contender changes him if it's not the right manager," I was told.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Very interesting that their backup plan is Julio Lugo....

3. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

it's that ni*** juicy lugio!

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

I don't believe that.

Lugo took his wife's head and slammed it against a car outside of MMP. He was let go on the spot.

You think they would trade for him? Seems like it would cut into the reputation of being a Classy Organization.

What could we be sending that would give the Os a hit in salary?

Preston and Morgan only make 4 mill and Adam 1.9

Tejada pulls in 11. Maybe the article was not referring to us in that respect.

5. Miguel

Miguel Member

I think the Lugo wife beating thing turned out to be false, maybe, my memory on the whole thing is pretty bad. I just know that after he was released, a few months later something came out with his wife saying she lied.

I don't think the Astros would ever bring him back in though, unless Drayton sold the team.

6. MustangPride73

He got released bc of those rumors and his .240 batting average. He's became a much better player in Tampa though

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

Haha sounds like he gave her some hush money. Last summer, I was in Boston at a Sox game at Fenway about 8 rows up from the D-Rays dugout. Lugo was playing 3rd so as a good Astros fan, I heckled the hey out of him. The D-Rays lost by about 5 runs. I like to think that I had soemthing to do with it. ;)

8. emjohn

emjohn Member

Not false, she just dropped the charges.

9. The Cat

The Cat Member

I think Lugo would be an ideal fit on the field, and I'd love to have him back. However, I see this as somewhat of a comparable scenario to Mike James. Now, there wasn't a criminal sidebar in the James soap opera... but when it came to free agency, the wounds in Houston were too deep for him to seriously consider playing here. James simply used the Rockets to drive up the price and to create a better market. I could see the same scenario with Lugo, with him being a free agent after the season.

All things equal, I'd love Lugo as a long-term SS, I think his skillset would work beautifully here... but I don't think it's reasonable to sign him in the offseason, so it's not worth gambling much now.

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

i do not want julio lugo. i would be excited about tejada. but you can keep lugo.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

SAY NO TO TEJADA!

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

you think we'll be asked to give up to much?

or you think he won't stick around..that he'll demand a trade??

or both??

or something else?

13. ak47

ak47 Member

I think for tejada we will have to give up Everett , Ensberg , Lane or Willy T, Hunter Pence or LIdge. I think we should offer 'em Everett ,Ensberg, Lane, and Taveras. I wanna keep Taveras badly though.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

Why Lugo? I know next to nothing about the guy, but I see his power numbers are AE'esque. Would he really help us over the hump like a Tejada would? Do you trade AE to get him? Is it worth it?

15. Nick

Nick Member

What progression do you think Taveras will make over the next 5 years that makes you "badly" want to keep him? Especially when you have a guy like Josh Anderson in the minors (who plays a solid CF, and can actually get you an occasional XBH), or Chris Burke in the majors?

The Indians knew what Willy T was when they let him go... a speedy guy who plays inconsistent defense, can't get on base, and has no XBH capability.

The Astros were hoping that those other things would improve with time and seasoning... well, 3 years after they acquired him the only thing Willy has improved at is his CF defense (which can still occasionally be an adventure out there). He's gotten TONS of opportunities, numerous AB's, everyday-playing status... and besides the infield single, he hasn't done anything at the plate consistently (and even then, the infield single was only so prevalent because he would make poor contact and hit little dribblers).

Hell, he isn't even all that good a base stealer (by percentages). Despite the fact that he never gets on base... when he does actually get the opportunity to steal, he's either indecisive, too cautious, or too reckless (and gets picked off).

16. The Cat

The Cat Member

What?

Lugo's slugging percentage is .504. Everett's slugging percentage is .325. That's night and day difference. Lugo most certainly hits for power... it's a very glaring difference.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

My mistake then. I was looking at his stats on:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pecota/lugoju01.php

Didn't realize they didn't include this years stats, just thought it was hard we were putting our hopes on a guy with 6 and 7 homeruns the past two years

18. Major

Major Member

Lugo's HR numbers are actually virtually identical to Tejada. 12 HRs in 280 at bats compared to 18 in 420 at bats.

19. Stack24

Stack24 Member

Not to mention that Everett has an OBP of .299 while lugo is at .371.

Lugo does have more power numbers with 12 HR's this season. Everett is a liability at the plate but it's escelated more with the fact that we have Another player in Ausmus that cant hit either. we have to decide who we want to keep on the team and get rid of all this defense that can't hit for some hitting while not completly screwing our defense.

20. wood

wood Member

Lugo will probably make us a somewhat better team, but we will not make the playoffs with him.

Tejada or BUST....
    or
    Soriano or BUST...