1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do we cheer DE FENSE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Member

i'm just curious.

across all sports...(yeah that means you Euor's and Aussie's can chime in)

why is it in US sports we say DEFENSE....and not OFFENSE.

<font size=1>and they can't tell me why Van Gundier's threads are so boring, while you are telling me how boring this thread is. btw</font>

but, I still have a point.

Why do we cheer DE...FENSE...

2. liu1107

liu1107 Member

players will rush their shots or force certain offense when being yelled "offense".. negative pressure ..

3. heypartner

heypartner Member

well, i'm not so sure....I mean, I would probably do anything, even the wrong thing, if 15,000 people told me to, but what would you do.

I'm thinking that I'm screaming DEFENSE because my coach is the best.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Because defense wins championships (also, players WANT to play offense, but you need to get on them for them to step up on D).

5. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

I agree with liu. I think if 15,000 fans are screaming for you to shoot the ball on offense, it puts pressure on you. Probably for the same reason fans scream when the opposing player is at the FT line, and they are quiet their home team goes to shoot FT's.

6. heypartner

heypartner Member

yep...my fallen moniker friend, StupidMokiker, always says it best....

Everyone wants to play offense....I mean, just hire an ex-A&M coach and start a new team and you can score and DaDakota will start a thread about you and why Swift is actually a good player.

la la la

7. durvasa

durvasa Member

Generally speaking:

Good offense requires some patience and poise. Good defense requires aggressiveness, energy, and all-out hustle.

But fans do cheer offense: "Let's Go [Team Name] ... "

8. heypartner

heypartner Member

generally speaking if your coach exposes a weakness in San Antonio and all NBA teams start copying it (I got proof)....and we start getting better playoff position based on SA going down...

that is why I cheer DE FENCE

why do YOU cheer DE FENCE.

9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Member

Wrong forum.

10. ClutchCityReturns

Defense is about effort and desire. The chants are a plea for the players to try harder.

Call me crazy but I don't think players need all that much encouragement to try and score points :D

11. heypartner

heypartner Member

you are right...but I'm using "why we cheer defense" as some kind of reality of fan cheers, but possibly an unstated JVG reality.

I love this game, but it can be hard.

point is: our defense not only beats the opponent of the day, but other teams have video of it and apply it. SA is losing because of the tape that JVG provided to the rest of the league.

I got proof, don't make stick Rockets2K on your ass.

12. Dei

Dei Member

If you're a Rowdie and you scream offense, get ready for JVG to revoke your season tix.

13. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

the only bad thing about the DE-FENSE chant is, I mean it is usually good and if it leads to a steal or an otherwise good defensive play, the crowd is happy, but what about when it's blaring over the PA system, the crowd is really into it, and then the opposing player dunks on someone's face or something? Then the PA has to be hastily turned off, the crowd gets shut down and they shrink back into their seats, and is just a downer overall...

14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

since you gave permission...

Usaully we would be more inclined to chant something along the lines of "You are a wanker"

I've never been a big wrap for that annoying "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi" crap , nor have I ever really understood it.

Nope, Insulting the oppositions manhood is always the way to go.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is just easier to say as a cheer....nothing more.

DD

16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Member

Nice save...

17. stangend77

stangend77 Member

we yell defence to throw off the other team and to encourage our players. we dont chant off-ence because it might throw off our shooters, they need concentration.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Let's see that proof tough guy.

;)

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree because defense takes effort and energy, so the the crowd actually may feel involved with the team when its on defense. like its giving them energy. plus it probably makes the other team nervous at least it may feel that way to the crowd.

20. kikimama

kikimama Member

You cheer when your team scores but when their on defense, there's nothing to do but to play good defense.