1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Public praying

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why do people do it? Does it bother you when you see it?

Personally, I think praying is something that should be done when one is alone or in a church/mosque/synagogue/whatever.

I feel uncomfortable when I see people getting on the floor, etc., to do their praying, e.g. in a restaurant or outside a restaurant or so. Maybe that's my fault, but I think they kind of impose their religious belief on me by doing that in public. They can believe whatever they want, but why do they have to do it "in my face"?

Please discuss.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I see nothing wrong with it. Prayer is a form of expression, like any other. As long as they are not yelling, how is it a disturbance?

3. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

People who are christians/religious tend to pray alot, not a big deal. If you don't like it move to a more populated atheist community such as sweden.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't like having to see people's asses in the air, unless they are beautiful women. Unfortunately, the type of behavior I am describing is more typical for bearded men.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Unless they are yelling in your face or attacking you while doing it, I'm not sure why it would upset you.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I really dont care one bit. Hell I think its cool that we have such a diversity of religions here and that people can be open about it and that you arent intimidated to pray outside of your home or church. Provided they're not being loud or disruptive, I'm totally fine with it.

Also as for your bearded men statement, I assume youre referring to Islam and the requirement to pray towards mecca. Its a time-sensitive requirement for Islam. They arent trying to impose anything, just do your thing and move on. I mean if theyre praying in the middle of a walkway, I'd agree that's not very cool, but if they're praying openly off to the side somewhere, then its not an issue to me.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Has Religion become so repugnant that folx would rather see PUBLIC SMOKING with its second hand 'benefits' . . .rather than have someone pray in front of them? :eek:

Are we there yet?

so what other 'public' things would you like shoved out of sight?

Rocket River

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

While googling the topic, I came across this sentence:

"Public displays of religion are just that - public displays. They have less to do with petitioning god than with impressing bystanders."

I think it is really this what bothers me. I question the sincerity of a lot of public praying. It seems more like a demonstration of power to me. If you want to speak to God and it is a dialogue between you and God, why can you not keep the conversation between you two (or between you and like-minded individuals who have come together in a private place to do this) but instead have to impose your praying on others who might feel uncomfortable with it?

And about the time-sensitivity - could it not be that both the requirement of having to do it at specific times and wherever one just happens to be at the time were designed to achieve exactly this "horizontal" effect of imposing the prayer on bystanders and thereby possibly forcing them to join in (as opposed to the "vertical" effect of the dialogue with God)?

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Some of your posts. Some provide an interesting, while different, perspective, whereas others are just so mind-numbingly stupid that any facepalm pic would not suffice to express the disbelief they cause.

10. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Why do you care about why people pray in public? You do know this is a free country right?

1 person likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm not saying I want it to be prohibited. I am just voicing my concerns about it and my displeasure with it. There are many things I don't like, that doesn't mean I want them prohibited.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Look its really hard to micromanage your life around either being at a home or a mosque so you can pray which is what you originally suggested. In fact I find that to be impossible.

More importantly who gives a damn. Bottom line they're not imposing anything on you, youre just interpreting that. Just let people do their thing and dont be bothered by it, I dont see how that's overly difficult.

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

[​IMG]

I think everyone gets it, Mauslums freak you out.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't see it much, but if Christians or any other religion were to do the same thing, it would bother me, too.

Actually, just googled a bit more and found that there is something in the bible against public praying:

Matthew chapter 6, verses 5-6:

When thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Not that I would take anything written in the bible as gospel (lol), but I think what this is supposed to say is (and I am quoting this from the website where I found it):

The message is clear: if you claim to follow Jesus you ought to pray in secret, avoiding ostentatious displays of prayer intended to serve as a display of holier-than-thou pride before others.

To make it clearer what I mean: I don't mind if someone quietly prays e.g. before a meal taken in public if that is what they think they need to do. I would mind if someone started praying loudly before a meal so that it would interrupt other people's conversations. I guess my concern is about how intrusive the praying is...more about the "how" than the "if". And some people's ways to pray (if they are on the walkway I just want to use and I have to step on the street to not fall over their asses that I am forced to look at), seem to be more ostentatious and intrusive than others'.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It depends on intent. I generally pray quietly before a meal. I can guarantee that I am not thinking about others seeing it. If you are praying in public to be seen, yeah that would not be good. I have prayed in public a couple of times, but generally I try to find somewhere isolated.

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Public prayer is freedom of religion, freedom of expression, and freedom of speech all rolled into one. Now, if you're praying face-down in the middle of a crowded restaurant, for example, then you're impeding others. Same with belting out a sermon. But praying to whatever god with your family to bless your meal while in a restaurant, well....you really ought to mind your own business.

1 person likes this.
  17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

no problem with it, just like i have no problem with someone reading the bible, koran, or 'on denoting' in front of me.

2 people like this.
  18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Same here.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We have something called the bill of rights. This just seems like an islam hate thread.

1 person likes this.
  20. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

I just hate it when they are in the pathway praying on the floor while i'm trying to get by.....