1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Increasing Urbanization of the Toyota Center Entertainment Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aceshigh7, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Okay, so, this isn't related to the product on the court, but to the actual game day experience at Toyota Center.

We are season ticket holders and have been for several years. We've observed a noticeable shift in the focus of the entertainment aspects of the fan experience. Whereas you used to hear little snippets of rock music as the team would walk up the court, that's almost entirely gone.

Regarding the power dancers, I don't know who is doing their choreography or choosing their routines now vs. years past, but there's been a huge drop off. It seems that nearly every routine now has them strutting around to some rap/hip-hop music and trying to look hard and tough. I don't particularly find it entertaining to see them come out in baggy pants, or doing the booty dancing that's so prevalent in the hood culture. I'm sure somebody involved with them thinks its a good idea but it looks pretty ridiculous to see these power dancers trying to emulate a backup dancer in a rap video.

I'm a supporter of diversity, but please let's be fair to all. Particularly, let's not marginalize those of us that make up the bulk of season ticket holders. My family and I are white and hispanic, and we really feel like, in trying to appeal to those enamored with hip-hop culture, the team has really stopped trying to resonate and identify with us.

Please don't label me racist for pointing these facts out, for it's not a racial issue. Even my successful african-american friends have mentioned that its a bit ridiculous and overboard at times. Successful, mature african-americans that I know are into that type of garbage. It's kind of disappointing that at a time when the team is on an upswing, the arena fan experience has suffered.

stefanb, therox3 and swyyyguy like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Atlanta Hawks hear your cry and welcome your patronage.

4 people like this.
  3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I like to to think the players have an influence on music that is played. Sometimes I feel like they're just plugging in their playlists to the loud speakers. I enjoy it but then again I'm a 25 year old Hispanic who grew up in SE houston.

I agree with you though there needs to be a bit more diverse music selection.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Lol, you sound like the former Atlanta Hawks owner.

And to top it all off, you're complaining about cheerleaders shaking their asses...I'm dying over here.

I don't think you'd be complaining if they were doing that to the type of music you like.

FLASH21 likes this.
  5. Ghost_of_Akeem

Hey now, I like that booty dancing.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

"Urban" .... This will be an entertaining thread.

7. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Im not saying youre racist, it is funny you mentioned having an african american friend though lol.

2 people like this.
  8. rocketseagles07

I'm a successful, mature african-american and guess what.... I LISTEN TO RAP MUSIC. I also work with white surgeons and guess what they listen to sometimes in surgery... RAP MUSIC. I would go into detail about how all rap is not "garbage" but I'll save that for another day.

What I don't understand is why do you care? I've been in many places where I had to listen to music I didn't care for. But if I didn't come for the music, than why should I care? Hip-hop is more uptempo so it's used more often now a days because more people are into it. I understand your request for more diversity but uptempo music in general goes more with sports than I don't know, a great artist like Ed Sheeran. Hip-hop is not an "urban" thing anymore, you go to a rap concert and you'll see what I mean

Reeko, Daddy Long Legs and Ronkol like this.
  9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Hey, I'm all for revealing outfits and sexy dance moves. I just don't find those rap and hip-hop dance moves particularly feminine or sexy.

1 person likes this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

What does your race have to do with anything?

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's not racist to say you don't like rap/hip hop. I don't either.

It is racist to say that type of music is part of "hood culture." Rap/hip hop is heavily consumed by non-gangsters. There are plenty of black, white and hispanic people who are not thugs that like this music.

I don't get why, but they do.

I'm with you that I wish rock music was the number 1 genre and I wish it was played at basketball games instead of rap/hip hop. I love hearing music like thunderstruck as baseball games.

That said, if this BBS had existed 30 years ago, my grandfather would have complained about the increasing urbanization of the Toyota Center Entertainment Experience and wondered why they didn't play more Sinatra like good tax paying Republicans and Southern Democrats prefer!

FLASH21, Buck Turgidson and Easy like this.
  12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

You racist af. Im black and you dont see me complain when they play country, and rock music at the games. It's supposed to be diverse at the arena.

2 people like this.
  13. txtodd

txtodd Member

It's classy when done to "Pour Some Sugar On Me".

2 people like this.
  14. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Lol at mature african americans and "hood culture", yeah race has nothing to do with this!!

15. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

Prior to the 2013-2014 season they had a change in game operations - the manager in charge of game operations and the manager/choreographer of the power dancers left the org.

I personally think the game experience is good and think they have a diverse selection of music (rock, country, hip hop, pop), but if you've noticed a change, that's probably why.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

We have a team in Houston that's 19-6 yet someone complains about the music being played in Toyota Center. Wow

17. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

So if black people like what you like they are "mature" but if they dont they are part of "hood culture". Nice.

1 person likes this.
  18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

This post could be called "the decline of America and its culture"

19. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I feel like I'm creeping in to the old man mentality. I like some artists now, but I enjoy the mid 90s to mid 2000s rap (plus any era Houston stuff). For the most part, I see through the kids stuff now and get turned off by it easily. I hope I don't get labeled racist though because I'm a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, pure individual.

20. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

The only bad part of the game production is the crappy choice of modern alt-rock for the intro song in the video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.