1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 18, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So are we assuming Dwight knew about this?

2. Ismail

Ismail Member

I bet Cuban and Fegan being buddy-buddy has a lot to do with some of their under the table agreements. I am sure this happens all the time in the NBA (as it does in other sports).

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. If Dwight said that they need to change the stop lights to green when he drives, they would do that too

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Some people said as soon as Chandler signed with Fegan that it spelled trouble, good foresight indeed.

My question is why in the world are agents allowed to do that **** and have this much power. If Howard wants to go somewhere, can't he force his agent to just make it happen without a freaking demand list??

1 person likes this.
  5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Think back to when Dwight was with Orlando. Who was the second and third option on that team? Turkoglu? Lewis? Reddick? I think the lines were pretty blurred on who the best player on that team was after Dwight. My point in mentioning this is that the Rockets can be successful with Harden and Howard as the core, surrounding them with shooters, and that looks to be our strategy, at least until a better player becomes available. We should shoot the three-ball better this year, which is a source of optimism for me.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Great news since now Dwight can only blame his agent for Parson's departure.

7. basketballholic

LOL.

This is one of the extrinsic reasons I want Rubio. If we trade for Rubio we can put him through restricted free agency and we can match the offer...at most a 4-year deal starting at the max and increasing by 4.5%.

Or

Morey can let Fegan know that he can sign the QO, or he can pursue the non-super max offer sheet from another team that Morey will match OR if Fegan is willing to wait until October then in October Morey will be able to offer Rubio a 5-year deal near the max with raises or a 4-year deal near the max with 7.5% raises.

IF Morey is able to trade for Rubio...he can control Fegan right back with Rubio's restricted free agency. Fegan is trying to get Rubio a 5-year super max deal. Morey can dangle that possibility or something close to it if Fegan will wait until October. And then it's up to Fegan to decide what he wants to do.

LOL. This is precisely why I want to trade for Rubio from an extrinsic point of view. The free agency situation with Rubio will be the opposite of what it was with Parsons. It'll be Fegan walking the tightrope trying to decide what's best for himself and Rubio. LOL

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Clutch, have you heard anything about Ariza's history with Dwight and Harden as being a major impetus for him to sign with us? He chose us over a very comfortable and established position with the Wizards. I understand that taxes had some to do with it, but in a (slightly) similar situation Lowry chose the Raptors over us.

I was always surprised at how quickly the Ariza agreement went down (there was a point we were dreaming of a Parsons/Ariza SF rotation).

Thanks!

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great post. The NBA needs to restrict the power of the agents.

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Yeah, no real surprises there. I do kind of hate to think that all of the recruiting enthusiasm Parsons showed in the Dwight sweepstakes was completely self-serving. But it is what it is.

Of course this makes its way onto ESPN and instead of just being about the realities of powerbroking super agents it'll suddenly become about how Morey is shady and untrustworthy, cutting illegal deals and isht.

11. basketballholic

I think that's a legit question right there and I really believe this is where the owners should ask for concessions from the players when it comes to the next CBA and the players demanding a bigger piece of the pie. Right here. Agents leveraging players and getting teams to agree to things ahead of time is really no different than NBA GM's generating side deals with players or agents to circumvent the CBA. Agents shouldn't be allowed to do such things. Especially Fegan.

12. MystikArkitect

In other news water is wet.

The only news here is that Fegan wanted Dwight in Dallas. Why doesn't that bother Dwight? That would bother the hell outta me if my agent was trying to weasel me to another team for his own interests. Obvious Cuban would backdoor Fegan some more money if this scenario played out.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wow, great piece. Not all that surprising, I guess. That whole thing stunk as it unfolded.

If I were Morey I would have cut the same deal to get Howard here. Fegan just screwed us to help out his buddy Cuban. That said, I agree that CP is not worth the contract he landed and I won't really miss him.

Hopefully the Rockets will land their #3 so the sting that was left goes away.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I wonder how many hookers Cuban has paid to wear a Morey mask while he revenge-****s them.

5 people like this.
  15. Raven

Raven Member

Quite a nice scoop, and congrats to Clutch for getting it.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Funny how Fegan and Cuban had mutual interest regarding Dwight yet Cuban put together a pathetic recruiting effort.

Also basketballholic, this is a major concern with Fegan. He'll get his players paid, but he has his own allegiances and is a source of concern for fans/teams. As Clutch mentioned, he is no different than CAA.

I'd be much happier without him and this board would do well without your derisive tone.

17. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Sometimes we forget how high Morey is on Dwight and how much he at one time was willing to risk lose to get Dwight.

A few years ago (when Dwight was still in Orlando, and wanted out), these were the guys Morey was willing to RELEASE in an effort to clear space for Dwight:

Lowry
    Dragic
    Scola
    Courtney Lee
    Budinger

Then, he probably would have had to TRADE to Orlando for Dwight the following:

Parsons
    Martin
    Patterson
    etc.

Dwight for all those guys. Go Morey!! Basically the team would have been Dwight, Turkuglu, bunch of other Orlando scrubs, and DMo. Go Morey go!!

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This all but confirmed what most of us were assuming. Thanks Clutch.

What I still don't get is how Parsons could have been (or still is) "offended" that the Rockets didn't match. Just because that's what he was told all that time up until Morey decided "thanks but no thanks"? :rolleyes:

Parsons should have known what he was getting into when he got into bed with Fegan as the primary objective for signing with such a high profile agent like Fegan is to get paid, plain and simple. If Parsons knew about the process in recruiting Dwight (where Fegan was in control of where Howard was going to be steered to) then he should have known ANYTHING is possible--including signing a max contract that Morey would not match.

Parsons got paid. Fegan got what he wanted. We got Dwight and an above-average replacement player for cheap. The world continues to spin.

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Clutch one of your better articles and all makes sense. Basically in the end Dan Fegan screwed the rockets and in a way screwed Dwight Howard in setting the team back a bit for the 3rd big wheel. Parsons would have made one hell of a trade bait this off season or before the deadline if wanted to be an unrestricted free agent. Fegan and his tight relationship with Cuban seems like this move had been setup for some time.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Makes sense. Seemed like there was something weird going on.

At the end of the day, we've got Harden, Howard, Ariza, and a bunch of young guys. It's very possible we end up with a 3rd significant player by the trade deadline.