1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Mallett traded to the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Aug 31, 2014.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Expectations for a 4th round QB should be low anyways, if Savage becomes a career backup/3rd stringer he'd have no complaints I bet.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet he's STILL better than what this team had in Keenum. Again, you'd rather have them stand pat?

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure is, glad we've got this out in the open

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I disagree that he's better than anyone we already had, but he's probably not worse either, it was probably a lateral move unless BOB decides to actually play him....then it's a negative move.

As such, the only real difference between standing pat and making this move is that you potentially lose a worthless pick and you run the risk of BOB's judgement being clouded by a worthless prospect.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Don't make me roll out the wasted Rick smith draft pick list.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

He's no more worthless than Keenum. OB had a full offseason and training camp to check out Keenum and obviously he did not like what he saw. Now he gets to work with a guy that he has worked with before, that also fits more of the prototype that he looks for in a QB (physically). Extremely low risk, potentially high reward.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Him being no more worthless than Keenum is pretty much what I said when I called it a lateral move, the only difference is that with BOB's history with him he might be blinded to how terrible he is causing him to play him which would be awful.

Again, a low risk, no reward move.

8. Raven

Raven Member

More thoughts later, but this seriously needed to happen. Going into the season with Keenum as their backup would have been disastrous for the Texans.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm at work.... Just here to say hell yeah to the news from today.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

the kid the patriots drafted was 4th Rounder the pick before Savage. ha ha.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How is his judgement "clouded" exactly? Because he didn't keep the QB you liked in Keenum?

Again, what would you rather have them do? Keenum failed... he's not good enough to even be a backup in the NFL (something at least Mallet was able to accomplish).

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Garoppolo was drafted in the 2nd.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Splash...!!!

We got our selves another backup quarterback with a backup quarterback's ceiling... Got to keep the tradition alive.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Savage was always going to hold the clipboard this year. His college career was too sketchy to think he was actually going to play in the NFL year 1.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care about keeping Keenum and I didn't say that his judgement WAS clouded, I said it could potentially be clouded by having one of "his guys" around very similar to how Kubiak was with Schaub.

Again, we didn't have to do anything because our situation is really no better than it was yesterday....it's no worse either. We swapped out one worthless QB for another worthless QB at the cost of a 7th rounder. Not good, not bad, just meh.

16. Remii

Remii Member

How do you figure that...???
    Brady hasn't missed any significant for Mallet to prove he's a accomplished backup.
    And he just got beat out by a rookie... Severely beat.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lol very true. Morey collects power fowards and Rick smith collects backup qbs

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

You aren't getting it. OB/Godsey definitely saw something that makes them think that they have something to work with in Mallett. He could potentially be not worthless, whereas Keenum was always going to be worthless.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

Ding, ding, ding. The point of this year is to tank and the franchise would be better off picking at one again next season. Maybe this time, they will pick a QB with actual upside that provides hope for the future.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And Kubiak thought he saw something in Schaub even during last season....point being that otherwise intelligent coaches can be blinded when it comes to "their guys". I'd hope BOB isn't that way with Mallett because he is, in fact worthless.