1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ESPN] 2014 Summer Forecast -- West Standings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 12, 2014.

1. MONON

MONON Member

Last year, Portland got off to a great start & was injury free. So they're going to climb 1 spot to #4 ahead of Dallas & Memphis who have Dirk & Gasol healthy (hopefully). That's ridiculous.:p

Based on what our bench looks like, I can see them rating the Rockets that low...on paper. However, they play BB on hardwood instead of paper. Dorsey & Adrien will provide rebounding. Daniels will provide scoring. Ish & Nick Johnson will be ball handlers.

I can't wait for the season to start!:cool:

2. ApuN

ApuN Member

49 wins??

Really????

You know this is bulls*$#!!

3. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Maybe you should?

They picked 6 of 8 western conf playoff teams and the Rockets @ #4 last season. They missed Dallas and Portland(they picked DEN and MIN).
    ESPN Summer Forecast 2013-2014 West

They also picked 6 of 8 easterm conf playoff teams. They missed Toronto and Charlotte(they picked NY and CLE).
    ESPN summer Forecast 2013-2014 East

4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Rockets + Chandler Parsons = 4th seed
    Rockets - Chandler Parsons = 8th seed

Damn

5. ln3012

ln3012 Member

i think most of us could have done that. picking 6 of 8 playoff teams doesn't sound like a daunting task

i think it was a no brainer that the clippers, thunder, rockets, grizzlies, spurs, and warriors would be in. they were all there the year and didn't decline much if at all over the summer

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

it will be that tight 4-8
    difference will be winning and losing winnable games, for example a couple of games i remember we had large leads and lost them, okc and dallas comes immediately to mind, imagine if that happens this year, we're at 49 wins while dallas is at 50, portland at 51

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Which is scary given that the Suns and Pelicans (maybe even the Nuggets) are all good. At least one good western team will pick in the lotto this year.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Portland had the healthiest team in NBA history. That's not going to happen again. They also started off with an insanely easy schedule (people predicted their mid-season decline, and they were right).

Let's not forget Portland's epic collapse late season. They almost fell out of the playoff race.

9. slestack11

slestack11 Member

ESPN is underrating the Pelicans in my opinion. With Asik added to the mix, Anthony Davis can move over to the 4 spot and will be an MVP candidate next year. The Pelicans should be a playoff team for sure.

10. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I would rate the West like this:

1. OKC
    2. Clippers
    3. Spurs
    4. Warriors
    5. Grizzlies
    6. Pelicans
    7. Blazers
    8. Mavericks
    9. Rockets
    10. Lakers
    11. Suns
    12. Nuggets
    13. Jazz
    14. Kings
    15. Timberwolves

11. vneuro

vneuro Member

I don't understand ESPN's love affair with OKC. Year after year they always predict OKC to be the number 1 seed and it just doesn't happen.

12. vneuro

vneuro Member

And here's another one. Why on earth is OKC ranked above the Clippers? The Clippers have equivalent "star" talent, better bench depth, better coaching, and better ball movement.

13. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I rate OKC higher than Clippers because I feel the Clippers need to beat them in a 7 game series to overcome them mentally. I could say the same about the Spurs, but I think age will finally catch up with San Antonio and they will not risk injury or fatigue for more regular season wins.

14. Swag

Swag Member

werent we projected at 8 last summer too?

15. Major

Major Member

Why? The Rockets lost 3 of the top 7 members of their rotation and really only replaced one of them. It's not unreasonable to think they might win 5 fewer games.

16. Major

Major Member

They were the #1 seed just two years ago. :confused: They were the 2 seed last year, despite Westbrook being out for nearly half the year. Is it really that unrealistic?

17. vneuro

vneuro Member

2010-2011:
    #1 Spurs
    #2 Lakers
    #3 Dallas
    #4 OKC

2011-2012:
    #1 Spurs
    #2 OKC
    #3 Lakers
    #4 Memphis

2012-2013:
    #1 OKC
    #2 Spurs
    #3 Denver
    #4 Clippers

2013-2014
    #1 Spurs
    #2 OKC
    #3 Clippers
    #4 Houston

Spurs have been the #1 seed 3 out of the last 4 seasons. It's not a regular thing for OKC to be the #1 seed.

18. Major

Major Member

How many of those years did ESPN predict them to be #1?

19. vneuro

vneuro Member

I think 2 of them. They predicted the Lakers to be #1 when Nash/Howard joined (2012-2013). I don't remember the '10-'11 prediction.

20. vneuro

vneuro Member

Remember this isn't a power rankings list that we're talking about. This is a projected Western conference standings list. They're very different things. It takes a very specific set of skills to reign king in the regular season.