1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case "Keep'um" Keenum | Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, May 9, 2014.

?

Are you all in for Case Keenum to be the starter this year?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

38.6%
  2. No

31.2%
  3. Maybe

19.8%
  4. I don't care what the Texans do this year

8.0%
  5. I have given up on the Texans for all eternity

2.5%
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think his upside is relative. Out of Fitz, Keenum, and Savage, you could argue that Keenum has the most upside. It's not like the rest of that group is much of anything. The group as a whole is just bad, so saying Keenum has the most potential is a pretty sane comment

Yates is clearly the odd man out imo

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Very nice analysis. Case is what he is: an undrafted free agent QB. If he shows that he can play the QB position better than the other names on the roster, he'll start. If not, it's not as if they will be releasing the 2nd coming of Fran Tarkenton.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The Texans just spent a fourth round pick on Savage based on the potential they saw in him. I don't think you could get a fourth round pick (or any pick) for Keenum based on upside. That speaks to their relative potential. Keenum is smaller, older, and has less arm strength than Savage does. I don't think either is the long term solution, but Savage clearly has the better tools.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

What if it is like that? I know, I know. Undrafted free agent, too short, weak arm, lost all the games he played in, etc. etc. EXCEPT, he looked amazingly good until they blitzed him into the ground. AND with no running game, a weak offensive line, and brick-headed coach with few ideas he was essentially trampled. I think the kid has serious skills, and hope he gets a better situation and another chance either here or elsewhere. And as dysfunctional as the Texans have been since their inception, if he does go elsewhere and succeeds, the Texans and their fans will never hear the end of it.

5. Remii

Remii Member

That doesn't make much sense because the Texans are the team that spent a 4 round pick on Savage. For all we know Savage could have fell to the 6th-7th round or went undrafted if the Texans hadn't of spent a 4th round pick on him (and I think he would have). And the Texans don't have a rich history of successful mid round picks so them spending a 4th round pick on Savage doesn't carry much weight as in which one has the most upside.

Physically Savage does look the part, but his college career is very shady. The Texans spending a 4th round pick on him means nothing at this point.

6. SamCassell

I would say the Texans' value assigned to a player means more than what some random guy from the internet thinks about said player. Your speculation about whether he would have fallen had the Texans not taken him is just that, speculation. I didn't read any pre-draft mocks having him undrafted. I didn't read any post-draft analysis questioning why he was drafted at all. It's all you, friend. CBS for instance says he was the #5 QB prospect in the draft.

We know that the Texans brain trust believes they may have something in Savage, because they invested a draft pick in him. We don't know whether the current staff has any faith in Keenum, or whether he will even make the team. If he doesn't make the team, is there another club that would be willing to possibly make him their QB #2?

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think the basic point is

None of these guys have a very high ceiling, savage included. They are all on around the same level for me. Being drafted means nothing. They cut their 3rd round pick from last year. All 3 guys have more question marks than proven abilities, the starter job is a complete toss up imo

8. Remii

Remii Member

It doesn't matter if CBS had Savage ranked as a top 5 QB prospect _ doesn't mean NFL teams felt the same and obviously they didn't. Those "experts" were swearing up and down that 2-3 QBs would be drafted in the 1st 5-10 picks. Just like they did with Geno last year.

My speculation of Savage falling to the 6th-7th round and or going undrafted is very logical because Savage falls in the same category as Zack Mettenberger and Logan Thomas. You're talking about a guy with not much playing time who jumped around from school to school. And those experts you speak of didn't even have him ranked until like 3-4 weeks before the draft.

I'm not debating what the Texans feel about Savage... I'm saying just because they valued him enough to spend a 4th round pick on Savage doesn't mean he has more upside than Case. But to me Savage looks like he has the tools, it's what's between his ears is what I don't know.

But for O'Brien's sake _ Savage better pan out...

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

ung signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1985 after being the first player selected in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. However, the Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

^^^^ sound familiar?

11. Remii

Remii Member

So you're saying O'Brien is just as good as Bill Walsh who was a proven head coach and offensive innovator during his era...???

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess all the 4th round draft picks for the Texans have become comtributors?
    4th Rounders period?

Rocket River

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Nope!

14. SamCassell

What is your point? Every pick has value - there's an opportunity cost to the pick, which could have been used to pick a different player or traded to another team for a different asset.

That doesn't mean the player drafted with that pick will work out. Most bust. Some hit. But the pick invested in a player means the team thought the player was worth the draft pick at the time. 1st round picks bust sometimes, too.

Maybe you should re-read my post. I'm not saying Savage is going to be great. Chances are, nobody on the current roster is a long term answer at QB. But Savage has more upside than any other QB on the roster, in terms of tools and youth.

15. Poloshirtbandit

That's what I was afraid of once Keenum was announced to be the starter last year. I think he'll make a great offensive coordinator some day, but not very optimistic on him getting significant playing time.

16. Remii

Remii Member

I get what you're hitting at... I just tend to believe you can't discredit Bill Walsh, learning behind Joe Montana, and having Jerry Rice when it comes to Young.

But can't argue the situation Case was in last season. But no way in heck do I think Case has anything close to the talent that Young had.

17. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

Hmm... well, we still have Case...

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

True, but he chose CK over Yates who gave Texans their first ever playoff win.
    I know this video only shows CK's highlights, but it makes you wonder if CK can be salvaged - obviously OB thought so.
    He can release the ball quickly as some of those slot passes show.
    After Foster exited, KC started blitzing big time and took control of the game.
    With Foster back, Newton fully healed and hopefully better prepared and Fiedorowicz and Prosch available to block as well we could see a turna-around for Keenum.
    No doubt he has rethought those games over and over again and I am thinking it may only take a small improvement for CK to be a serviceable custodian.
    We better hope so, because if Fitz goes down, we are gonna find out real quick.

19. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Keenum is subpar at best as a QB. Hold the ball to long(Car) only thing he had going for him is that he is a Cougar.

Go Coogs

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I still say that Kenum starts the season. Doesn't seem likely, but by the end of preseason, I predict he beats out Fitzpatrick who is the next to last rated QB by "Jaws" on ESPN. Kenum is better than Fitzpatrick and I think he will prove it in preseason.