ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

View Poll Results: Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series
True 574 31.43%
False 1,252 68.57%
Voters: 1826. You may not vote on this poll

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series
Tags:  basketball, houston rockets, jeremy lin, job, nba, offensive Tags
yunac010 is offline Old 05-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #241
yunac010
yunac010 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52474
I wonder how Clutch acts in front of Lin.

Sponsored Link
calcium is offline Old 05-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #242
calcium
calcium is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2013
Member: #54952
Quote:
Originally Posted by d12babymamas View Post
Last I checked we won 2 games and we will tie it up soon.
I thought we were only doing games prior to Game 5?

And I did use the word "were" as in "were in a 3-1 hole".

Now if I'd used the word "are" as in "are in a 3-1 hole", then you'd be right.

And I certainly hope we kick the Blazers bottoms as we rightfully should.

And I certainly hope ALL the players turn up to play.

JHarden is overdue for a monster game.

And apologies to Clutch if I caused any offence. Was not my intention.

tinman is offline Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #243
tinman
Contributing Member
tinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldtinman is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 1999
Member: #485
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunac010 View Post
Like he's talking to a bench player

d12babymamas is offline Old 05-02-2014, 01:30 AM   #244
d12babymamas
d12babymamas is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2013
Member: #56580
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcium View Post
I thought we were only doing games prior to Game 5?

And I did use the word "were" as in "were in a 3-1 hole".

Now if I'd used the word "are" as in "are in a 3-1 hole", then you'd be right.

And I certainly hope we kick the Blazers bottoms as we rightfully should.

And I certainly hope ALL the players turn up to play.

JHarden is overdue for a monster game.

And apologies to Clutch if I caused any offence. Was not my intention.
Oh ok my bad. I have a short attention span and suffer from ADHD.

d12/bev/cisco....harden? tbd after 2014-2015 season

What happens to PB next year? Parsons 2.0? Yes or No? Discuss.

torocan is offline Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #245
torocan
torocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heretorocan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Oct 2012
Member: #52386
Just a few observations.

1. Clutch, founder of CF or not, moderator or not, IS biased.
2. EVERYONE is biased, whether they acknowledge it or not. Every human being starts from a position of biased viewpoints and interpretations. Those biases stem from their own stereotypes, preconceptions, level of knowledge, flawed memories and thought processes.
3. Most people believe they are objective instead of subjective. It is actually the opposite.
4. Most people who think they are being objective, do NOT make serious attempts to strip their observations and memories of their own personal biases.
5. Most people overestimate their own ability to remember and observe a complex series of events. IE, they THINK they understand what's happening on the floor, when in reality they are seeing only a fraction of what is happening on the floor.
6. Most people overestimate their understanding of basketball, whether they are "hardcore" fans or not.

As for the whole "numbers" people vs "eye test" people, of course you have to contextualize numbers with observation of what actually happening on the court. However, what most people consider "watching" the game is actually the most superficial observation of what's happening on the court.

Unless someone is reviewing EVERY play for EVERY player MULTIPLE times and maintaining a RECORD of those plays, then your "impressions" are going to be both flawed and biased. Things often happen WAY too fast on the court to even understand a single play in real time, let alone an entire game. And unless you are doing this exercise for every player, you really are NOT understanding what each player is contributing.

For example, people love to say Lin has a bad TO resulting from a jump pass EVERY game. I did a video break down over a 10 game stretch for Lin including 20/22 available TO's on video from Synergy.

Of those 20 TO's, 4 were jump passes. 4 jump passes over a 10 game stretch, supported by the ACTUAL video play by plays. Yet people still think that Lin is doing a jump pass TO, or even multiple jump pass TO's every game.

Surprised? You shouldn't be.

Then Why is it that people believe Lin makes a bad jump pass every game? It's because our ability to observe, remember and analyze information is fundamentally FLAWED and unreliable.

If you believe that you're able to view a complex series of events while actually correctly remembering and assessing the information, then I present the following exercise.

Here is a video. Watch the video and follow the instructions.

http://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo

Here is another video. Once again, follow the instructions.

http://youtu.be/lHd_L7dg3U4

My point is this, the idea that ANYONE can watch a basketball game with 10 players AND a ball in constant motion and have ANY idea of how anyone is actually playing in a game without countless replays and the recording of data of some kind is pretty much crazy.

It's why we have box scores and statistics. It's also why teams and coaches have to review game film multiple times to even begin to understand how their team and individual players played on any given night. And these are basketball lifers who are some of the best coaches in the world with many years of experience breaking down and analyzing games.

Nearly all of us have jobs, real life responsibilities, and limited time to analyze Rockets games. Clutch may spend a LOT of time watching basketball, but does he commit anywhere near the amount of time necessary to break down the play of ANY player on the Rockets? Let alone the Bulk of the players on the team?

Like the rest of us Clutch must go by what his own impressions and flawed memory tells him. And because he is human he will be shaped by his own biases, flawed memory and perception filters.

Clutch may be a hard core Rockets fan, but he's also human.

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/03/22/yo...games-so-what/

Baruch is offline Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #246
Baruch
Baruch is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2013
Member: #56569
Now I understand why this board has so much hate on Lin

Very biased and unprofessional indeed.

It's really a waste of time reading hateful and trolling comments instead of just enjoying the games

calcium is offline Old 05-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #247
calcium
Quote:
Oh ok my bad. I have a short attention span and suffer from ADHD.
:-)

Dont sweat it. It's no biggie.

Just as long we get out of Round 1.

calcium is offline Old 05-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #248
calcium
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcrash View Post
how is "false" the overwhelming answer?

im happy he played well in game 5. the rockets need everyone in game 6. but to say he's done anything close to what he did in game 5 in this series simply isn't anything close to the truth.

do other people share some responsibilities? for sure. the poll didn't ask that question though.

im sick of LOH and LOF's. this is the definition of poisoning the well.

Not that I'm in market research or anything, but the wording of the poll could be improved.

ie. I wanted to vote that Lin has not done a good job prior to Game 5.

So in my head, it'd be a "False". ie. JLin had not done good.
But in order for my vote to reflect the above, I have to vote True.

In my opinion, a better wording (from a questionnaire design perspective) would be

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin has done a great job of being an offensive spark this series - True or False.

ie. in removing the negation, if you think he's done a good, vote positive (True) and if you
think he's done a bad job, vote negative (False)
which is more consistent.

As opposed to, if you think he's done a good, vote negative (False) and if you
think he's done a bad job, vote positive (True).

Yes, I had to think about it.

I am thinking a lot of the "False" respondents meant to say that "JLin did not deliver".

adobo is offline Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #249
adobo
adobo is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53597
I think Clutch should have done a different poll "Is Jeremy Lin the most compelling personality in the NBA? Yes Or No".

I can understand where clutch is coming from to an extent. His probably surprised at how compelled people are (LOH and LOF's alike) at this person Jeremy Lin.

Jeremy Lin chatter has taken over his forum, win or lose, when he plays great or not, his everywhere and talked about...something that has never been experienced in the history of this forum.

I guess it's the curious case of Jeremy Lin.

Whoopy is offline Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #250
Whoopy
Whoopy is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #38086
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunac010 View Post
Like Donald Sterling.

Panda23 is online now Old 05-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #251
Panda23
Panda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemPanda23 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Like he's talking to a bench player
Like he's talking to a Houston Rocket

RockingRox is offline Old 05-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #252
RockingRox
RockingRox is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2007
Member: #22944
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobo View Post
I think Clutch should have done a different poll "Is Jeremy Lin the most compelling personality in the NBA? Yes Or No".

I can understand where clutch is coming from to an extent. His probably surprised at how compelled people are (LOH and LOF's alike) at this person Jeremy Lin.

Jeremy Lin chatter has taken over his forum, win or lose, when he plays great or not, his everywhere and talked about...something that has never been experienced in the history of this forum.

I guess it's the curious case of Jeremy Lin.
And it is good for the forum because every view, every click to the website means income to support the server and beyond.

PeppermintCandy is offline Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #253
PeppermintCandy
PeppermintCandy is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodPeppermintCandy is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43724
I haven't seen Clutch go so hard at one (relevant) player since the days of Rafer "Bringing a Spoon to a Knifefight" Alston.

Hrock is offline Old 05-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #254
Hrock
Rookie
Hrock is Royce White -- lots of promise, bad first impression
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52717
Anything to bring traffic to clutchfans right? Whether its trolling or not, as long as it brings traffic, even if its borderline racist, pure hate and unreasonable judgement Clutch and the mods will keep it. Because it brings in traffic. The supposed LOF doesnt even come around here anymore, half of them are trolls and the mods allow it. You cant even talk fair points about Lin without being labeled LOF. SO much for a bench player that isnt the 1-3rd option on the team, but can make a difference when he does play. But shove all the blame on Lin and cry about LOF all day for a guy who isn't even the main option on the team. Amazing. But hey, its bringing more traffic to clutchfans right?

The numbers are clear. Blind Lin haters deserve to be banned as much as blind Lin fans.

i meow a lot is offline Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #255
i meow a lot
i meow a lot is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53113
lol some of you guys are taking this too seriously. as Torocan says - Clutch is human, he's allowed to be biased and form his own opinion too.

Besides, this is the internet, there will be always be trolls. xx Only Fans will always exist, and there will always be the overly irrational fan who depends their player or criticizes another. This is sports. Most fans are biased because they want their team/player to do well. We are all fanatics one way or another.

i meow a lot is offline Old 05-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #256
i meow a lot
i meow a lot is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53113
Quote:
Definitely false because the word "great." But like I said in another thread, if you step back and think about it, Lin is a major reason we were not swept the other day. Game 2he made a huge hustle play and Game 5 he was a huge offensive spark. This is good enough for me. It would have been embarrassing if we had been swept especially with the talent we have on this team.
In conducting appropriate survey questions, one must be clear in the wording and the design of the question.

If Clutch also defined the word 'great' it might reduce the number of 'complaints' or discussion in the thread. But I guess forums are for opinions and discussion.

Side topic - Harden is under a different microscope as well. He is the carry of the team - or supposed to be. That's the expectations set for him. having said that, Lin is supposed to be the sixth man who can score off the bench, those are expectations of him. Howard is THE superstar no doubt. Both ends of the court, playing fantastic. that is why there is no criticism for him. Plus he's such a likeable, at least for me.

sn09 is offline Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #257
sn09
sn09 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34008
Haha well this sure as hell backfired on Clutch.

I for one believe that Lin has played pretty good throughout this series barring a couple of costly brain farts.

Lets just say that he is most certainly NOT the first person I'm blaming for the fact that we are down 3-2.

sutton is offline Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #258
sutton
sutton is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2014
Member: #57942
clutch time g1-g4

11pts 4-8fga, LIN

Harden 4-21fga, parson 0 ,bevs 0

--

Harrisment is offline Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #259
Harrisment
Contributing Member
Harrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchHarrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchHarrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchHarrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchHarrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchHarrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchHarrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchHarrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchHarrisment is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnxsnoopy View Post
I don't agree with his post. The Rockets will be fine, with or without Lin. However, I've seen some real terrible posts by the Lin Haters. Look below at sig.
Posts like your sig have no place on this board, no matter how infuriating I find Lin's play at times. I think all true fans here agree on that.

2013 Clutchfans NFL Survivor Champion

THE DR34M is offline Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #260
THE DR34M
Rookie
THE DR34M is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2013
Member: #57202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
Now I understand why this board has so much hate on Lin

Very biased and unprofessional indeed.

It's really a waste of time reading hateful and trolling comments instead of just enjoying the games
Da Truth Bomb right there.