1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

(Im)mobility - HARDEN LOWEST IN NBA IN DISTANCE! (Must play less mins & never play unhealthy)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Jabberwock, Dec 30, 2013.

1. The Jabberwock

Some of you may know the new stat feature of "player tracking" (By SportVU).
    Among other things, they perform speed and distance tracking for each player.

Now this one was a shocker for me:

Of all 453 NBA players, the lowest court movement any player made
    (In distance covered per 48 minutes) is 2.9 miles,
    and it is shared by our very nimble James Harden!

See the full stats list in here

The beard shares this lowest mobility figure with:
    - Veteran, injury prone big men, in Boozer, M.Gasol, David West and Andrew (no knees) Bynum,
    - 36 year old Stephen Jackson & Kanyon Martin
    - and a few others, including Chris Copeland.
    No one else on the list is in JH's age, height or role!

But note: NO ONE on this sorry list plays as much as his beardness - 39 minutes.
    (Gasol plays 34.5, but he only played 13 games this season...)

Pretty bad... (Makes me blue) :(

Now, the Harden haters may say that the low movement shows his lack of effort,
    but I'm absolutely sure it has everything to do with his being used too much
    and with the fact that he plays while injured and in pains
    (Both of which are McHale's fault, but also his own, IMHO).

I'd love to hear your comments.

(BTW, the highest in mobility figures on our team are held by Beverly, Casspi, D-Mo,
    Parsons, Brooks, Jones & Lin, in this order, if we don't count Canaan's 1-game data)

1 person likes this.
  2. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

It may have to do with injuries, being lazy and having a slower offense we do dump it to Dwight a lot and that creates less movement.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He really needs to mature and play both ends, and move off the ball, he is good, but could be great.

DD

4. The Jabberwock

Personal injuries - yes, like I said, but it's not the team's offense or defense!
    Note that Parsons plays just as much, and PBev shares the court with Harden all the time,
    but they have top 100 figures and are ranked 1st (Bev=3.6) and 4th (CP=3.4) on the team.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Harden has never been an overly good off the ball player and combine that with the factors mentioned earlier it's not pretty.

6. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

What do you expect. The dude is worn out. Playing him 40 mins every night no matter what.

We need to find a way of playing him no more than 36 minutes a night. Expand the rotation.

7. The Jabberwock

This. Exactly!

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Shouldn't you like the fact that he's not running as much? I want as little mileage on him as possible. He's our most valuable player since Yao was still young and healthy. In fact, I kind of dislike the fact that Parsons has to run so much, because he ranks among the top of mileage while plays so many minutes.

If we had deeper depth at wing positions, and Harden only plays 30mpg, then I'd like to see that number higher.

9. visible

visible Member

Live harden die harden. If he can product 50-60% of times, team will only win about same percent of games at max. It's really hard to make up his mistakes by having him as main ball holder and scorer. So..

10. Penetrate&Creat

Bring in Iman Shumpert. I would love to have him on this team

11. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

He could be a good option. But what will we have to trade to get him?

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Greg Smith should net us Shump and a 2020 first rounder

13. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

With all the T-Mac versus Lin threads popping up ... wouldn't it be interesting to compare Tracy 'Sleepy Eye' McGrady's career court movement with the current court movement of Harden? :rolleyes:

14. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

I think you'll find NY want more. He's one of their few trade worthy assets. Why would they want Greg Smith?

15. AVoiceInACrowd

Not sure how much you can make out of this stat, when you have LeBron James tied for 10th with an avg. of 3 miles per 48 mins.

16. clippy

clippy Member

I'm sure if they counted the walks to the FT line he'd rank a lot higher.

17. Fefo

Fefo Member

if you look at it, all four spurs pg are near the top of movement. Thats a game plan by the spurs.
    Not sure how usefull this stat is.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That is because they move without the ball while Harden stands in one spot if he doesn't have the ball. That is on him and the Coach. Harden also gets lost when he watches the ball instead of his man and he doesn't always move his feet when his man attacks him off the dribble. Sh** he lol don't even attempt to try and come from behind once he is beaten off the dribble. He instead tries to reach around and poke the ball from behind. You can chalk that up as lazy or sometimes injuries.

19. willus

willus Member

There's something called.... Sarcasm.

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

As far as I'm concerned he can even walk to the hole during the regular season.

As far as he turns it on offensively/defensively during the playoffs, which I'm sure he will.