ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

(Im)mobility - HARDEN LOWEST IN NBA IN DISTANCE! (Must play less mins & never play unhealthy)
Tags:  basketball, david west, donatas motiejunas, houston rockets, injury, isaiah canaan, james harden, kevin mchale, nba, nba.com, sportvu, stephen jackson, tracking Tags
The Jabberwock is online now Old 12-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
The Jabberwock
The Jabberwock is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2013
Member: #56034
Some of you may know the new stat feature of "player tracking" (By SportVU).
Among other things, they perform speed and distance tracking for each player.

Now this one was a shocker for me:

Of all 453 NBA players, the lowest court movement any player made
(In distance covered per 48 minutes) is 2.9 miles,
and it is shared by our very nimble James Harden!

See the full stats list in here

The beard shares this lowest mobility figure with:
- Veteran, injury prone big men, in Boozer, M.Gasol, David West and Andrew (no knees) Bynum,
- 36 year old Stephen Jackson & Kanyon Martin
- and a few others, including Chris Copeland.
No one else on the list is in JH's age, height or role!

But note: NO ONE on this sorry list plays as much as his beardness - 39 minutes.
(Gasol plays 34.5, but he only played 13 games this season...)

Pretty bad... (Makes me blue)

Now, the Harden haters may say that the low movement shows his lack of effort,
but I'm absolutely sure it has everything to do with his being used too much
and with the fact that he plays while injured and in pains
(Both of which are McHale's fault, but also his own, IMHO).

I'd love to hear your comments.

(BTW, the highest in mobility figures on our team are held by Beverly, Casspi, D-Mo,
Parsons, Brooks, Jones & Lin, in this order, if we don't count Canaan's 1-game data)

Sponsored Link
Spiegel is offline Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Spiegel
Spiegel is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSpiegel is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSpiegel is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45158
It may have to do with injuries, being lazy and having a slower offense we do dump it to Dwight a lot and that creates less movement.

DaDakota is offline Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
He really needs to mature and play both ends, and move off the ball, he is good, but could be great.

DD

Building the Best Damned Space Sim Ever!

The Jabberwock is online now Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
The Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegel View Post
It may have to do with injuries, being lazy and having a slower offense we do dump it to Dwight a lot and that creates less movement.
Personal injuries - yes, like I said, but it's not the team's offense or defense!
Note that Parsons plays just as much, and PBev shares the court with Harden all the time,
but they have top 100 figures and are ranked 1st (Bev=3.6) and 4th (CP=3.4) on the team.

Spiegel is offline Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Spiegel
Spiegel is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSpiegel is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSpiegel is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45158
Harden has never been an overly good off the ball player and combine that with the factors mentioned earlier it's not pretty.

Chemistry is offline Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Chemistry
Chemistry is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2013
Member: #57180
What do you expect. The dude is worn out. Playing him 40 mins every night no matter what.

We need to find a way of playing him no more than 36 minutes a night. Expand the rotation.

The Jabberwock is online now Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
The Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry View Post
What do you expect. The dude is worn out. Playing him 40 mins every night no matter what.

We need to find a way of playing him no more than 36 minutes a night. Expand the rotation.
This. Exactly!

meh is offline Old 12-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
Shouldn't you like the fact that he's not running as much? I want as little mileage on him as possible. He's our most valuable player since Yao was still young and healthy. In fact, I kind of dislike the fact that Parsons has to run so much, because he ranks among the top of mileage while plays so many minutes.

If we had deeper depth at wing positions, and Harden only plays 30mpg, then I'd like to see that number higher.

visible is offline Old 12-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
visible
visible is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53103
Live harden die harden. If he can product 50-60% of times, team will only win about same percent of games at max. It's really hard to make up his mistakes by having him as main ball holder and scorer. So..

Penetrate&Creat is offline Old 12-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Penetrate&Creat
Penetrate&Creat is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53596
Quote:

Bring in Iman Shumpert. I would love to have him on this team

Chemistry is offline Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
Chemistry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penetrate&Creat View Post
Bring in Iman Shumpert. I would love to have him on this team
He could be a good option. But what will we have to trade to get him?

Panda23 is offline Old 12-30-2013, 03:17 AM   #12
Panda23
Panda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchPanda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchPanda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchPanda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchPanda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchPanda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchPanda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchPanda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchPanda23 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2012
Member: #51490
Quote:
He could be a good option. But what will we have to trade to get him?
Greg Smith should net us Shump and a 2020 first rounder

Rookie34 is offline Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #13
Rookie34
Rookie34 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18868
With all the T-Mac versus Lin threads popping up ... wouldn't it be interesting to compare Tracy 'Sleepy Eye' McGrady's career court movement with the current court movement of Harden?

Chemistry is offline Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #14
Chemistry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda23 View Post
Greg Smith should net us Shump and a 2020 first rounder
I think you'll find NY want more. He's one of their few trade worthy assets. Why would they want Greg Smith?

AVoiceInACrowd is offline Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #15
AVoiceInACrowd
AVoiceInACrowd is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2013
Member: #55218
Not sure how much you can make out of this stat, when you have LeBron James tied for 10th with an avg. of 3 miles per 48 mins.

clippy is offline Old 12-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #16
clippy
clippy is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineclippy is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6577
I'm sure if they counted the walks to the FT line he'd rank a lot higher.

Fefo is offline Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Fefo
Fefo is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2009
Member: #39400
if you look at it, all four spurs pg are near the top of movement. Thats a game plan by the spurs.
Not sure how usefull this stat is.

Htownballer38 is online now Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
Htownballer38
Htownballer38 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2013
Member: #55090
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
Personal injuries - yes, like I said, but it's not the team's offense or defense!
Note that Parsons plays just as much, and PBev shares the court with Harden all the time,
but they have top 100 figures and are ranked 1st (Bev=3.6) and 4th (CP=3.4) on the team.
That is because they move without the ball while Harden stands in one spot if he doesn't have the ball. That is on him and the Coach. Harden also gets lost when he watches the ball instead of his man and he doesn't always move his feet when his man attacks him off the dribble. Sh** he lol don't even attempt to try and come from behind once he is beaten off the dribble. He instead tries to reach around and poke the ball from behind. You can chalk that up as lazy or sometimes injuries.

willus is offline Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #19
willus
willus is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2013
Member: #53763
Quote:
I think you'll find NY want more. He's one of their few trade worthy assets. Why would they want Greg Smith?
There's something called.... Sarcasm.

BasketballReasons is offline Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
BasketballReasons
Contributing Member
BasketballReasons is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBasketballReasons is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBasketballReasons is Omer Asik -- working the boardsBasketballReasons is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32374
As far as I'm concerned he can even walk to the hole during the regular season.

As far as he turns it on offensively/defensively during the playoffs, which I'm sure he will.