1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Chance Dwight comes to Houston growing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 9, 2013.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the Lakers want to sign him. Their best offer can only be a 2yr deal starting at $3 million. That's the taxpayer's MLE.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Parsons gonna throw that super studly game at Dwight. Harden's just a wingman, literally and figuratively. :grin:

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I don't think Morey would have taken him if there's partial guarantees.

4. basketballholic

If it was a $1 million guarantee, yes he would.

5. rocketman94

rocketman94 Member

Just now reading this, When Harden tweeted about a party in L.A. I was wondering if Harden would get together with Dwight. IM still on this page and havent caught up to the feed, BUT could that of happened in L.A. when Harden was there?

6. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

So do you think the Lakers would just trade Gasol to any team that would take him without his permission...??? Or that a team would trade for him knowing he might not stay after his contract is up...??? And why would Atlanta spend that money on Gasol, it's not like he's their missing piece to make a run at a championship and why would he stay...???

If the Lakers sign Howard and keep D'Antoni I think it's a foregone conclusion that they would HAVE to move him. He's helped them win two titles and has been a model citizen so they may just do him a favor and amnesty him so he can be free to go where he wants.

7. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

i doubt he does because I did a google search and checked a bunch of salary sites and none mentioned any guarantee. Just says there is a team option.

8. basketballholic

Yes, everyone is denying the partial guarantee now.

9. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Gotta think Morey will kick the tires on Pau. If anything you trade for him to clear the logjam at the 4, then flip him at the deadline for an elite 4 + bad contracts. No way Morey is signing up a (soon-to-be) 33 year old coming off major surgery to be our PF of the future, though.

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I've been reading on the Lakers forums the exact opposite is true.

If Dwight stay, they keep Gasol, hope Kobe comes back as himself, Nash is healthy and they make 1 last run at a title with this group.

If Dwight goes, they trade Gasol, trade Nash to Toronto and blow up the team and rebuild.

11. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Yea, us fans in forums know exactly what a GM is going to do...Lol..

But, I can't see how Gasol will want to stay on a team with D'Antoni coaching and vice versa... Who's to say he won't bench him again and relegate him to a $19 million bench player. But if they're going to keep both big men, they better get a coach that knows how to use him are it will be just a waste of money like this past season.

12. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Pretty obvious the fans are in denial about the Kobe era being over, and Nash is fairly obviously washed up. They can keep Gasol and Dwight together for a rebuild, but the smarter play would be trying to capitalize on Gasol's expiring status and bring in some picks and prospects.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FYI, for true team or player OPTIONS (as opposed to guaranteed versus non-guaranteed salary based on a certain date), the latest possible exercise date is always going to be June 30. The option is for the contract to continue into the following season. Since the last day of the NBA season is June 30, there is no way that a team or player can wait beyond that date to exercise its option. If so, then it was never a true option to begin with.

14. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Goodbye Delfino
    Goodbye Garcia
    Goodbye Brooks
    Goodbye Anderson

15. basketballholic

Yeah, I understand. But Steimsma has a contract that doesn't become guaranteed unless he is still no the roster after July 17th. While technically not an option, or all practical purposes it's an option. He can be traded and cut before July 17th.

The rumors about Garcia having a small guarantee floated from Sam Amick here http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/015655.html in his blog. I didn't make them up. And up until a year or so ago, his contract was showing that team option with a partial guarantee in some of the websites. Apparently within the last year or so guys like you and Deeks got ahold of the contract and determined there really was no partial guarantee for 13/14. I trust that. Unless you are proven wrong.

16. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

So if we decline the team options on Garcia, Brooks, Anderson, Smith, and Olbrecht, that would clear up approx. 11.5 million off the books, right? If we decline Delfino as well (I'd hate that), we'd have 14.5 million clear, correct?

Would that be enough room to nab Dwight, then sign&trade for Josh Smith using Asik and T-Rob?

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, the "guarantee date" contracts are SIMILAR. I was just pointing out that they are not the SAME thing as "options" and wanted to clarify this for anyone less knowledgeable about the CBA than you who might be confused when someone like you uses that term (almost-) interchangeably with the "guarantee date" contracts.

On Garcia's contract, I am going off of Mark's analysis. I have not seen Garcia's contract, nor have I talked to anyone about its contents.

Based on my understanding:

--Francisco Garcia is the only Rockets player with a true TEAM OPTION (for $6.4 million), meaning that the Rockets both (a) can no longer trade him (unless they exercise the option first) and (b) must exercise the option by June 30 or have him become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Expect Garcia to be a free agent.

--Carlos Delfino's contract does NOT have a team option for next year; however, his salary for next season ($3 million) is non-guaranteed if he is waived by June 30. While this is seemingly the same thing as a team option, it is not. The key difference with Delfino is that he is eligible to be traded between now and June 30. If he had a team option, he could not be traded until after his option was exercised.

--Aaron Brooks's contract is structured (to my knowledge) the same way as Delfino's. His salary for next season ($2.508 million) is non-guaranteed if he is waived by June 30. He is also eligible to be traded between now and then. It is possible that Brooks's contract may have both a guarantee date AND a team option, although I doubt it.

--James Anderson's contract has a guarantee date in late October, meaning that the Rockets don't have to waive him this summer unless they absolutely need the marginal cap room that waiving him would provide (~$420k). However, they need to make a decision on Anderson before the start of the 2013-14 regular season.

--The contracts for Patrick Beverley and Tim Ohlbrecht have no guarantee date, which means that the Rockets could keep them on the team all summer (unless cap room is needed) and into next season, and their salaries would not become FULLY guaranteed until early January 2014.

1 person likes this.
  18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Goodbye Delfino (maybe)
    Goodbye Garcia
    Goodbye Brooks
    Goodbye Anderson (maybe)

19. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

ok so i've been following this thread since cyberx started it and im glad it's back on track lol.

if howard and cp3 end up in atlanta together, will atlanta be able to/want to keep al horford? Any chance of him being the rockets plan c or d (through trade of course). Im not educated on their cap situation other than the fact that they could possibly sign the two max deals.

Additionally, i thought that this bbs was bad sometimes, but Jesus... lakersground is unbearable. Makes me appreciate this site a lot more haha.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If ATL get Howard and CP3, why would they leave get rid of him. They will immediately be contenders. They will have a better chance of competing with the Heat and Pacers. Josh Smith 13 mil is coming off the books and they could get rid of Devin Harris 8.5 mil along with a few other players to make that happen.