ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets acquire Jason Terry from Kings

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Andrew Bynum is a mess
Tags:  2013, 76ers, 790, andrew bynum, basketball, free, nba, philadelphia 76ers, sixers, twitter Tags
GreatOne1978 is offline Old 03-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
GreatOne1978
GreatOne1978 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGreatOne1978 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2010
Member: #46641
https://twitter.com/gonzoCSN/statuse...58171872997376

Quote:
When asked if he's worried about perception that he doesn't want to play in pain, Bynum said "that's true, I don't want to play in pain"
https://twitter.com/ChrisVito/status...57903886323713
Quote:
Andrew Bynum said he doesn't worry about perceptions for sitting out all year. "I'm 25. It's my life." #sixers
http://sixersdish.blogspot.com/2013/...play-this.html
Quote:
Andrew Bynum said he's experiencing some swelling in his right knee after last week's 5-on-5 scrimmage, calling it a “four- to five-day setback” and adding that he doesn't feel the need to play to get his next contract

Speaking at PCOM following the 76ers' practice Friday, Bynum said his right knee is his concern. For those keeping score at home, that's the one that had been better and, for the last few months, the left knee (the one he hurt in November while bowling) was the one setting him back.

Bynum said he's not sure if he'll ever play for the Sixers this season.

“Now it's getting really late,” he said. “I don't know.”

As for playing to get his next contract, Bynum said he doesn't feel the need to rush anything. The Sixers have 26 games to go and Bynum, an unrestricted free agent, isn't worried about his next deal.

“Being healthy is more important than everything else,” Bynum said. “If I am healthy, I'll get a deal. I have to be able to play and I need to get to the point where I'm healthy to play.”

Sponsored Link
Fyreball is online now Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Fyreball
Contributing Member
Fyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39843
Well, he does have a point. Playing in pain, and being limited is going to hamper his ability to get a long-term contract far more than sitting out, and getting 100% healthy. If he's healthy, he will get a deal.....probably from the Sixers themselves.

Easy is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Easy
Contributing Member
Easy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemEasy is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6116
Andrew Bynum doesn't care about anything other than himself.

Commodore is online now Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Commodore
Contributing Member
Commodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsCommodore is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #28812
I have no problem with anything Bynum said, his honesty is refreshing.

His top career priority is his paycheck, much like the rest of us.

Given he is injury prone it makes perfect sense for him to be overly cautious.

Philly knew the risk, he doesn't owe them anything.

GanjaRocket is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
GanjaRocket
GanjaRocket is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGanjaRocket is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGanjaRocket is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2012
Member: #52942
1 yr deal is what he should hope to get from GMs

nicely loaded maybe at 9-10 mil but one yr... maybe a team option for a second year

val_modus is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
val_modus
val_modus is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Nov 2010
Member: #47814
Hes a 25 year old center whos had re-occuring lower body injuries, and we're bashing on him for wanting to come back early?

BEAT LA is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
BEAT LA
Contributing Member
BEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBEAT LA is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43559
Sign him if he's cheap. Here's where I have him:

Paul - Max
Howard - Max
Al Jefferson - $12.5 million starting
Josh Smith - $11.5 million starting
Iguadola - $11.5 million starting
Millsap - $10 million starting

Bynum - $8.5 million starting

Only several teams can offer max contracts this off-season, and there are so many players available that would usually get them. I think the Rockets will come out happy when it's over.

DreamShook is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
DreamShook
DreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
Remember that time when he went to the World Cup instead of getting surgery when he was with the Lakers? Good times.

TB86 is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
TB86
TB86 is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Feb 2013
Member: #54804
I hope the Rockets don't touch this guy with a 10ft pole in the offseason.

Rocketman95 is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Rocketman95
Hangout Boy
Rocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocketman95 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I have no problem with anything Bynum said, his honesty is refreshing.

His top career priority is his paycheck, much like the rest of us.

Given he is injury prone it makes perfect sense for him to be overly cautious.

Philly knew the risk, he doesn't owe them anything.
Agreed.

desi tmac91 is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
desi tmac91
desi tmac91 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously gooddesi tmac91 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #31938
Worried about his own health = being a mess?

ihatekobe is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
ihatekobe
ihatekobe is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2011
Member: #48493
The thing about Andrew Bynum is at least he says what he's really feeling.

He doesn't lie and make stuff up like the DIVA Dwight Howard.

candyman285 is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
candyman285
candyman285 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT LA View Post

Paul - Max
Howard - Max

Only several teams can offer max contracts this off-season, and there are so many players available that would usually get them. I think the Rockets will come out happy when it's over.
Sad, but some desperate team will pay him what he wants. True big is hard to come by.

conquistador#11 is online now Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
conquistador#11
conquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18869
he might as well be 35 years old at this point in time.

cheke64 is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
cheke64
cheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchcheke64 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: May 2009
Member: #42238
Knee swelling, you don't play with.

BeardSanity is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
BeardSanity
BeardSanity is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2012
Member: #53380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Andrew Bynum doesn't care about anything other than himself.
Why would he care about how the fans feel? This is his life, he's looking out for himself, I would too. Ur not gonna pay his new contact

FLASH21 is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
FLASH21
FLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Member: #31877
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT LA View Post

Paul - Max
Howard - Max

D-wight please!

Even tho most are against it.

Ha!

Every time I see James I get a little Harden.

morpheus133 is offline Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
morpheus133
morpheus133 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmorpheus133 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsmorpheus133 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12519
There is nothing wrong with what Bynum said except for the idea that he doesn't have to play to get the type of contract (Max money) that he and his agent seem to expect. Even if he plays and plays well I certainly wouldn't want to take a risk on him for anything more than mid level money.

According to a Philly reporter that was on with Charlie and Lance this week, Bynum played thru alot of the same pain last year with the Lakers. Paraphrasing, he said the condition of Bynum's knees are going to cause him some level of pain permanently when he plays basketball, and it's up to him if he can deal with it or not. He said don't be surprised if Bynum toughs it out for a few weeks at the end of the year in hopes of getting another team to get fooled into paying for him. Once he has another contract, don't be surprised if toughing it out no longer seems worth it.

KingCheetah is offline Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
KingCheetah
Contributing Member
KingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldKingCheetah is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4419
Sounds like he is taking an smart approach for a change instead of being an idiot... hopefully he's not bowling.

meadowlark is offline Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
meadowlark
meadowlark is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25896
If taking care of yourself is considered being a mess....

If looking out for your ability to earn substantial money is considered being a mess...

If taking a long term view rather than a short term is considered being a mess...

I have no problem with what he said and would do the same in his position.