1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White on ESPN Outside the Lines, January 22nd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Anywhere I can stream this show online?

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Royce about to come on any minute now, they have been showing Sean Payton reinstatement story for the first 15 of 30 minutes.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We don't really know that. The NBA is littered with plenty of high potential "unique" talents who never could translate their skills to the NBA level. There have been a few genuine "can't miss" prospects over the years. Even those didn't all pan out. And White is nowhere near that kind of caliber.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Disappointing watch. Hardly anything new from what they showed in the teaser in the original post of this thread.

5. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Royce agrees with you + is pissed at Givony from Draft Express for that short segment he did talking down about Royce's methods for dealing with the Rockets last couple of months.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/293814000528027648

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/draftexpress">draftexpress</a> Who's backing you? Not <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23logic">#logic</a>... If I wasn't cooperating at all with the rockets l, I wouldn't have ✈ to GAME 1, DET. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23BeWell">#BeWell</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/293816545434537984">January 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

"A complex situation". Still nobody gets what you're trying to accomplish Royce, you have made no #progress.

How do you know the workplace is unsafe if you never work?

Maybe the HBO audience will get it... :confused:

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Royce got pwned.

Probably not what he was looking for.

8. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

No need to watch the interview. Royce's responses are so predictable that you can create a flow chart of his responses.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Royce White: I knew playing in the NBA I would have to fly. Right now, it's bigger than travel. As long as there is disconnect, I'm unsafe. When I come into work, if you're looking at me through a business lens, I'm in an unhealthy predicament.

Rockets looking at you through business?

The Rockets are looking at me the way everyone looks at business: profit at all costs.

D-League isn't what upset me. ... I'm not going because of a bigger issue. The entire work environment is unsafe. As people, we have to get better with knowledge and awareness. The Rockets think I'm high maintenance but I'm high maintenance because you're uneducated.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Rockets cut ties. I would continue to advocate for awareness. My virtue can't be bought.

How close is every other team watching?

If they aren't watching, they should be.

Jonathan Givony:

How aware were the Rockets?

The entire league was aware. Rockets asked him if flying a problem, he said no. His stance changed once he signed a contract and started his demands that were against the CBA.

Houston has handled it as well as they could. Royce White has hurt himself, future prospects with mental illness.

A lot of people around NBA who said I told you so. Good chance if the Rockets don't take him, he drops to the 2nd round. Rockets took a chance on him. They must be regretting that now. All he has done is embarrass them and make them look bad.

How effective could he be in the lineup?

Not sure a difference maker but they wanted to develop him. They wanted to send him to the D-League and work on his weaknesses and ease him in. He hasn't been willing to work.

Chances they work together?

Right now, not looking great. Not surprised if Royce never plays a game in the NBA.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Having a unique style doesn't make him a legitimate rotation player. Does he have the work ethic to improve his shooting/defense which are known to be his weaknesses? If you're poor at both, and further you're not exceptionally athletic, then you're not a viable NBA player.

11. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:8850215&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

1 person likes this.
  12. rob1

rob1 Member

his twitter is funny tho

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

one of the guys who followed yao home

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Royce is on a retweeting rampage right now.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, J.R. Here's the complete transcript of Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress, who was the follow-up guest to the Royce White interview.
    <HR>
    How aware were the Rockets of how challenging White and his issues would be when they drafted him?

I think the entire league was aware of this. There had been multiple issues leading up to this, at Minnesota, before he transferred to Iowa State. He was very open about this throughout the season. The Rockets had asked him if flying is going to be a problem and he said 'No' leading up to this. I think his stance changed a little bit once he signed that NBA contract and he started presenting a number of demands to the Rockets, which were against the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

How do you think Houston has handled the situation?

I think they've handled it as well as they could have. They're known around the NBA as one of the best organizations in the NBA for developing players, for giving conditions for players to be successful. I don't think Royce White has taken advantage of that. Up until now, I think he's hurt himself. I think he's hurt future prospects who are going to come along with mental illness disorders who might be blacklisted by the NBA because of his unwillingness to compromise so far.

Yeah, it's a complex situation, Jonathan, because I give him credit for being so courageous and forthright in trying to put the issue of mental illness forth, but by the same token, you can't be complaining if you're not honoring your contract, so how do you think it's being viewed by other organizations?

I think there are a lot of people around the NBA right now who are kind of saying, 'I told you so'. We knew that this was going to be a problem. I think there is a really good chance if the Rockets had not taken him sixteen, he would have dropped all the way to the second round. The Rockets decided to take a chance on him and I think that they must be regretting that right now because all he's done since then is embarrass them publicly and do everything he can to make them look bad. I think it's a really unfortunate situation.

Clearly they wouldn't have taken this risk unless he was a talented player, so how effective could he be if he was actually in the lineup?

I don't know if he would have been a difference maker for them, but I think they want to develop him and see what they had in him. He's not a perfect player. He's not a great shooter. He's very turnover prone. Similar to what they did with Marcus Morris last year, I think they wanted to send him to the D-League and work on some of his weaknesses and kind of ease him into the lineup slowly, maybe his second or third year. Unfortunately he hasn't been willing to work with them so far.

What are the odds, Jonathan -- two sides reconcile in some manner, will we either see him with the Rockets or the D-League affiliate?

Right now it's not looking great. I wouldn't be surprised if Royce White never ended up playing a game in the NBA.

OK, Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress and Grantland. Appreciate the insight.

Thanks for having me.

2 people like this.
  16. gah

gah Member

So all we got out of White was the same ambiguous logic of his? At least he got a taste of reality, he must not be pleased. At what time is the HBO feature?

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I agree, but i guess IMO he'd do that. As far as his uniqueness, i was thinking more of his effect on this team. We don't have many play makers/passers. We could definitely use him.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter, since he's injury prone.

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

That's how the Grantland documentary made it seem too. So basically everybody but Maury knew not to commit a guaranteed contract to this guy.

19. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

this guy get's more pub than Lebron. (well maybe not that much but a whole lot more than a scrub usually does)

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He took a chance on this guy, I don't blame him for that. Morey haters will come in and rip him apart for this, but come on. It's a 16 pick. We gave up an expiring Air-Bud for it. Yes, there are players we could have taken in place of him, but who says we take them anyways? At the end of the day what is troubling about all this is not that he took a risk, it's that the NBA hasn't stepped in already and told Royce to STFU. The fact that the NBA and NBPA are looking from the outside and letting all this go down is beyond me. So let me get this straight, criticize refs = $10,000, leaking confidential information from your GM is legal. Awesome.

Also, Royce is narcissistic scumbag. He loves the attention and he will do anything to appease his inner diva. If he had gone on OTL 2 months ago I might have said "well, he's voicing his concerns and he's trying to fix the situation". Now, he notices his story is going unnoticed and because he misses the attention he's on the air screaming to anyone who will listen. Sad.