1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Overall quality of the BBS

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Eric Riley, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I'm not gonna be one of those users who gripe and complain, especially as grateful as I am that ClutchFans even exists. But I do want to raise a question and see what other people think.

While CF has always been a high quality forum, it seems that things have been changing recently. We've got troll users and one-trick ponies who just seem to constantly and purposely distract/annoy more than give back. And taking a quick look at the hangout, you see that it's littered with: best ass, best rack, best combo rack/ass, I'm high, I'm drunk, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against those types of threads. But I also remember when our image posting privileges were taken away because people started posting pics because they were too raunchy and not suitable for everyone and every work environment.

In Clutch's defense, maybe those threads mean high view counts and therefore higher ad revenue. But maybe that compromises the quality of the bbs? Or maybe it's nothing and I'm becoming a senile grampa here. What do you think?

2. YaosDirtyStache

to be fair, trolls exist everywhere...in fact I would say that the high troll ratio is a benefit. The MOAR trolls the higher success the board is having...after all who wants to troll if the board is dead?

Also, the Rockets as a whole have been pretty mediocre over the last 8 years or so, naturally discussion moves away from that and in to more base forms of discussion such as a racks ON racks on RACKS.

Also, dont go to the D&D. Its a warzone.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I think the GARM has actually improved over the past 3 weeks, when the LOFs were just plain insufferable. Now that Lin's doing well, they have become slightly more tolerable...

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm another member who thinks things have improved lately. So no, the BBS isn't declining. If anything, things have leveled out and the quality is starting to creep up. In my opinion, of course. It would help if people would stop complaining all the time. I'm guilty of some of that myself. If members would cut down on the complaining, perceptions would improve.

Groovy is as groovy does, people. Be groovy!

2 people like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The last two years I have mostly been lurking in the GARM because it had become so insufferable and juvenile. Hangout has become raunchier but it seems about the same as it was, although there seems to be way more talk about fapping than I think anyone should ever reveal publicly. The D&D during the election was really going downhill with those basically trolling the board about the inevitable Romney landslide. I think it has gotten a better since.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Hangout turning into BBs MISC section

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

The problem is, there is only one thread each on the best ass and rack in the hangout.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

If you're at work, click on a "best ass" thread and are surprised there are nsfw pics then I don't know what to say.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hmmm....

This :p

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think it's improved as well.

I think it has improved because many posters, including me, have stopped baiting the LoFs as much as we were.

That said, if Lin doesn't make the All Star Game, I will be avoiding the GARM for a while.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

On second thought, I will be avoiding the GARM even if he makes it.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In my decade or so view of it, I think the board is doing just fine. Seriously, even with the rack/ass threads, etc. It still seems a huge leap above most other venues, and there are still zero other boards where I will post.

I will always think the Yao era was pretty unique for a whole influx of international users, but that brought it's own challenges.

I even think D&D is improving in fits and starts. There seem to be more genuine discussions going on, now and then.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't really see it. The GARM still has some great posters who frequent it. There are others who flood the board with their (usually ridiculous) opinions, but it's not too hard to overlook that. I've grown used to it. These posters are inevitable.

Hangout is cool. Please don't change.

D&D isn't a warzone. It goes back and forth between (as the decription says) monkeys flinging poo at each other to a big circle jerk with a bunch of people who agree with one another posting about how brilliant they are and how ignorant those who oppose them are. It is best to view this section and those who frequent it with pity and to realize that nothing of consequence ever happens there.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Eric, you're one of the better peeps to ever grace the Rockets jersey, my man. I don't care if you were put in injured reserve and missed the '94 playoffs. :eek: You were an integral part of the Championship years. THAT, and I don't have anything else to contribute to this thread.

15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Clutchfans is just fine.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think we're talking about two things here -- the Hangout and the Rockets forum.

First, the Hangout. I think around New Year's and certain times, there are some goofy threads and that happened to be the day where a lot of new 2013 threads were being born. I don't personally care for the near-nude threads, but I don't want to be so strict as to keep people from posting a picture of a woman in a bikini, so long as it doesn't cross any lines (I've neg repped or sent infractions to several who have) I'm OK with it.

As for the Rockets forum, this has nothing to do with you, Eric Riley, but I sincerely don't know how long I've been hearing, "Man, the forum has slipped in the past [insert time period]." Maybe 10 years? And everyone who says that seems to think it was great just a few weeks or months before that "decline."

Yao fans dragged down the quality of the forum in 2003. Some couldn't believe the influx of ridiculous threads in 2004. The forum was scaring people off in 2005. Yao/T-Mac were so popular that it was killing the BBS in 2006. The rudeness of the forum was just appalling in 2007. The old member elitism and sensitive new members were destroying it in 2008. All the topics were either tired or boring in 2009. It was unbearably in need of executions in 2010. It became a train wreck in 2011. It just became so ridiculous in 2012.

I personally think it's great. Honestly, I do. Several times in the last week, someone I hadn't necessarily followed made a great post. At times I've been frustrated with the quality, but not right now. We've made changes to help eliminate a lot of the bad/duplicate threads and I think there are a lot of quality posters.

What we have not done a good job of is highlighting that quality... bringing it out. Someone could have great insight, but it's buried on page 22 of a 50-page thread. Post likes, follow users, notifications, user tagging... there are a lot of things we could do better to help that experience but are tied at the moment until we eventually move to new software.

My two cents is -- create the quality thread that you think is lacking, in either forum. There are high quality (and low quality) posters.... respond to and rep the high quality posters and ignore the low quality posters. Too many people do the opposite.

1 person likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed rereading those threads, Clutch!

this was my favorite post:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3817108&postcount=30

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've been around some form of Clutch City for over half my life.

Had this been my first forum, I'd probably share the same sentiments too, but one thing I learned over the years is that there's only one constant: change.

When the boards were much smaller, the personal bonds were definitely tighter, and it also seemed the place grew "right". More good newcomers outpaced the bad. Except the other part of the equation is the one sitting and reading this post right now...y o u. For me, I was a stupid high schooler reading the site and forums then. Now, I have much different tolerances and expectations. In other words, that quality you personally maintain is hard to quantify is infinitely harder to maintain with more and more people and ultimately, more time.

I know what to expect from many members now, and what traits from some of them annoy me. I also miss some posters who don't post as much and have felt that the new blood doesn't replace that gap. ...Except, isn't that life in general as well? If they were unique enough to be noticed in the first place, then it makes the sense to feel that way after they're gone. You can focus on the bad, let that ruin your perceptions of the boards, or you can spend a little more time through the crowd to interact with the new personalities.

What makes this board different is definitely the admin and his staff. If all this new attention and responsibility over the years has gone to Clutch's head, I haven't seen it. If I was swamped for time, the first thing I'd cut off is sifting through the threads in the GARM. Even if the overall quality is a 3, there's just too many posts to read. But he still stays connected, even when he's on the road for a team related event or running responsibilities from his personal life.

The other great thing about the guy is this board is pretty flexible and civil for a forum with 45k members. I've seen that Spurs fanboard from links on here and the language, pictures and demeanor is much cruder than here. I don't know how he and the crew runs this forum to make it click, but maybe it's from the solid fundamental rules they laid down and the him giving us the trust to self-organize.

What Clutch said in response is just that. You can be as big a part of the community as he is. If the board is missing something to you, try to do something about it and it might even stick.

It's not easy running a site like this. I've seen other admins become distant strangers as the site grew, or worse off, power hungry and foolish. You don't know it until you lose it, so I guess this is my way of saying thanks and I hope it lasts for another half of my life.

1 person likes this.
  19. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I've always known what kind of place the GARM is and what kind of people it can consist of sometimes, so I mostly go for the headlines and latest news. But I didn't bring this thread up because of that part of the bbs.

You're right, Clutch, when you say we're talking about two things. I brought this thread up mainly because of what I saw in the Hangout, as you mentioned. I'll admit that in hindsight I was a bit premature in creating this thread, and that I should have been more specific and worded the title of the thread differently.

But it's interesting seeing parts of the BBS changing and evolving slowly over the years. I know to expect __OFs or whatever in the GARM, stubbornness and poo flinging (though it has gotten better) in the D&D, and, well, a place to hang out in the Hangout. And sure the Hangout has had a certain level of immaturity over the years. But lately, as others have pointed out, it's become at certain times a bit too immature, to the point of being raunchy and just inappropriate. When I created this thread my fear was that the Hangout was in the next phase in the process of turning into a "low IQ/guys only/constantly fapping/objectifying women" forum. But, I can see now that that's not the case, since, as you mentioned, it seemed to be a New Years thing.

Ah well, I'll just carry on. :)

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro