1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Rockets Tank in New Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by typhooonn, Aug 23, 2012.

?

Should Rockets Tank in New Season?

1. Yes, Rockets should tank in the new season to get a lottery draft

49.8%
  2. No, Rockets should try its best no matter what

43.0%
  3. I have no clue

7.2%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is that what the OP means? Look at his poll options. The 2nd options is "No, the team should try its best." To me this implies that "tanking" means "not trying its best."

Perhaps he means "trying" only in light of signing players, not actual play on the court. If so, I think the Rockets have already made a youth movement after letting its more experienced players like Scola, Lowry, Dalembert, Camby, Lee and Dragic go and acquiring Lin, Asik, and the 4 rookies, each of whom has 2 or less years of experience in the NBA. Morey has also already stated that any move they make to get a veteran will be one that helps with the development of the younger guys (or the acquisition of a star) and not one who will hold the younger player back or hurt the team's financial flexibility.

On the other hand, if "tanking" means having the players "not trying their best" or even asking the coach to put in less than optimal lineups just to give younger guys entitlement minutes, I doubt it will happen. When the jump ball goes up, you cannot ask either the players or the coaches to give less than 100% effort toward winning the game at hand.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Rebuilding by tanking = play young talent and come what may

Clutchfans tanking = don't try and hate winning

No me gusta the second option.

3. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Give the young players heavy minutes...

[​IMG]

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm pro tank but the Rocket players should always try their best...until the last few games...wink... Management needs to stop getting bandaid players that serve no long term purpose.

#44 ArtV, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

so if the rockets let the young players on the court, to develop them and let them have nba experience and then the rockets get the 12th pick,

the pro-tankers or pro-rebuilding will be happy? because we let the rookies play and still didnt get in the top 10 in the draft.
    I thought the pro-tankers wanted a top 10 draft pick no matter at what cost.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No it's not time to tank. It's time for people to stop asking them to.

7. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I have followed different sports teams all my life. And I have to say this is the most asinine question I've ever seen on a sports forum board:mad:. No team should ever tank on purpose, for whatever reason. Never!!!

If the Rockets have had a culture of doing this on occasion over the years, then Jeremy Lin made the worst decision of his entire life.

Even the fans in Cleveland never think about such behavior. Those fans are sick of their teams losing. The Knicks fans never had this mindset either.

I hope this is an isolated case, not something that has engulfed the Rockets franchise or fan base.

8. AbrahamLincoln

I don't see tanking being done by the players. At the end of last season it felt like we were trying to lose games due to the things McHale was doing. Staying with lineups that were getting beat and so on.

I think, like many others, start the rookies and young guys and we will probably lose more than we win. However, at the end of the year I think we will see some draft positioning being done when we are not in contention. Late game substitutions that dont add up and things like that.

This team very well could achieve the 12-14th pick again if they overachieve. I would laugh, but it would be a sad laugh.

9. nalgas05

nalgas05 Member

i dont see how people are saying that there is no hope for the playoffs or maybe championships this season, yeah we dont have all those superstars but that does not mean that this team cant be great, especially since we havent even seen how all these people are going to play together

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We've had a small taste, though.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Seriously, it's just not realistic for this team to tank. They would never be able to sell a tank job for a top 10 pick to the league as good as this team is. Although not great, this team is better than people think.

12. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Watch we start the season on a 6 game win streak!

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

First six games are Detroit Atlanta Portland Denver Memphis Detroit. We could potentially go 4 -2, losing to Denver and Memphis. The 7th games is Miami lol.

14. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

4-2 would be nice, too, lol.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would be surprised if they went 3-3.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Why tank? They are all professional athletes, playing for a professional team. Which means ANYTHING can happen. Upsets and injuries can happen. Teams can peak at the right time. The odds of winning a championship might be long but not improbable.

Mets of '69, Joe Namath's Jets, Buster Douglas, and in NBA, lots of 8-seed teams knocked off #1's in playoffs. Castaways of Oakland A's who set an MLB record of 20 straight games from Moneyball. And dont forget Rockets of '95.

Being a long time diehard Kings fan, LA Kings, an 8-seed, made history by knocking off #1, #2 and #3 seeds and went on to win NHL Stanley Cup this year.

Fact is, history can be made by ANY professional team at any given time! When it does, the winning is so much sweeter than the odds-on favorites.

IMO, only those who never witnessed any historical sporting upsets want to tank! You simply never experienced what it feels like when a team or a player you cheer pulls the biggest upset in history.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I rooted for Buster Douglas...I loved that fight...one of my favorite sporting events I ever watched.

I rooted for the 95 Rockets to come out of the 6th seed...they made history with the way they won that championship. I was in the Summit the night they won that championship sweeping the Magic.

But you don't build a franchise around the sliver of hope that you might shock the world with a team of youngsters and Kevin Martin. You certainly tell those guys to play their asses off...and you want to see them try to win. But you don't spend your money acquiring veteran pieces that don't figure in to long term plans simply to help them win a few extra games next season. You avoid moves like adding Camby or Dalembert. The NBA is a league where history shows you need a first team or second team all NBA player to win a title. You need HOF type talent. The Rockets have none of that. The NBA is also a league that rewards teams for losing. Being mediocre..stuck in the middle...is the worst spot to be and difficult to move off of.

Again...none of the "pro-tankers" are suggesting that you tell the players on the court to dog it...or to do anything but try to win. That action (or inaction) we're calling for is from the front office and ownership. Not the players on the court.

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I watched that supposed to be a warmup fight for Tyson...live. It was a jaw-dropping event and absolutely shocked the world of boxing. Remembered so many people were so traumatized by what happened that they were totally speechless after the fight. If I remember correctly Douglas was a 50:1.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yep...Vegas stopped taking bets at one point. It was never supposed to happen. But looking back with hindsight, it doesn't seem so crazy. Buster was the perfect fighter to beat Tyson; especially the way Tyson was training by that point.

I woke up the next morning and I remember literally thinking the world was a different place because Mike Tyson got beat :)