1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McCain over Kareem, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Jul 30, 2012.

1. foo82

foo82 Member

He pretty much was a shutdown corner inside 15 yards. He consistently got burned his rookie year, and fixed that issue. Now he just needs to play the ball. He's been progressing pretty nicely. You guys have the Kareem glasses on in which you only notice the negatives and ignore all the positives.

2. smr6

smr6 Member

The only game where I would say that Kareem had a "bad" game last year was against the Saints at the end of the game. Other than that he wasn't great, but he wasn't bad. He was a serviceable starting corner last year.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

LOL, no. Not even close. He's a shutdown CB inside 15 yards....that gives a 10 yd cushion and doesn't dare jam anyone at the line?

Kareem's saving grace comes from opposing QBs not daring to turn into the left flats with Barwin around the corner and Watt batting down anything with a low arc.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are thinking of Jason Allen.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

It looks like Kareem now has a (bad) reputation and QBs are going to be testing him. He's going to have to get some interceptions to keep QBs from throwing at him all the time. And that shutdown CB from 0-15 yards talk is just propaganda.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Why are there no videos of Kareem pressing (at the line)?

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Let's just face it that both guys are/have been pretty damn bad. At least Jackson has youth on his side and the time to grow into a serviceable CB, he may never reach elite shutdown corner status type player level, but he's still got a lot to learn.

You generally don't get those type of guys from the 20th pick and below in the draft, and yes there could be some exceptions in past drafts, but name one corner you'd rather have drafted that has excelled who would have been available at 20.

Jason Allen is just plain trash, I never liked the signing period. He was a stop gap, nothing special, I'd still take Kareem over him any day.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13254/kareem-jackson

I was looking for stats on Jackson, but can't find many that can account for plays where he was beaten from season to season. He actually had better stats his rookie season than this past season. Go figure.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

All this consternation and hand-wrining over Kareem Jackson... they finished 3rd against the pass and the guy who orchestrated their resurgence started KJ for 18 consecutive weeks and made absolutely no effort to find an upgrade this offseason. I'd wager he's a better indication of where Jackson is than a bunch of people who watch NFL broadcasts - whaddya think?

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

KJ will never get a fair shake from the fans in Houston. Most can't look at him objectively after his rookie year.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No he didn't. KJ had 29 less tackles in 2011 then he did in 2010. That's usually a good thing when you're talking about a DB. Sure he had one more pick in 2010 (2 compared to 1 in 2011) but that's neglible at best.

KJ was not bad last season. See Hey Now!'s post above.

11. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

considering the short offseason last year and how much he improved, I'm very excited to see what he can do in his third year.

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

At this point, anyone is an upgrade over Kareem. I hope Kareem proves me wrong and has a great 3rd year. If not, I think it's time to let McCain get his feet wet.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I said he had better stats, never said his play on the field was any better.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Did I just read that?????

*looks for facepalm pic*

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

That is result of :

Gabbert (twice)
    Hasselback
    Painter
    Orlovsky
    Jason Campbell
    Colt Mccoy
    Freeman
    Who ever the hell was QB'ing for the Dolphins
    Plus 2 rookie QBs

16. TejasTom

TejasTom Member

Kareem was ranked 4th in the NFL in YAC allowed @ 2.1 yards.

He's not getting torched. You have to be right on top of your guy to have such a low YAC. He's just allowing too many completions.

In an interview after minicamp Wade said they were working with Kareem on finding the ball in the air. If he can do that his success rate should improve dramatically.

17. foo82

foo82 Member

Wade Phillips

On what he told Jackson after his much-maligned 2010 rookie season: “I told him, ‘Just trust me, first of all. I’m going to help your technique, I’m going to help your body change.’ And pass defense, just like run defense, it’s a team thing. So as the pass rush got better, he got better. Because for 15-20 yards, he was a lockdown corner this year. His issues came when the fade ball came with large receivers. He didn’t finish the plays. But if you watch this kid on cut-ups in the offseason right now, for 15 yards, man, he was a lockdown guy. Comebacks, out routes, curl routes, he’s all over the receiver. OK, now he has to get better at finishing deep balls. But he’s so resilient, guys. He’s a tough kid. He’s gone through so much, but you wouldn’t know it being with the kid. He’s not bitter at all. He worked hard every day. He has no ill will towards anyone. He’s positive. He’s confident again. So it was a fun thing to watch him grow as a pro.”

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

foo with the Wade quote goods.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It seems like wade is saying, "turn your head", but in a longer way...btw, despite making this thread, not a Kareem-hater.. but I do want continued improvement. At least McCain can turn his head, and pretty good speed.. but unless Kareem gets hurt, it is prolly better to keep McCain as a top nickel and dime cover guy...

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

yep, because that shows you that he can improve his skills.

he could go from awful to bad to average to good? in 5 seasons?