1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building My First Computer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I've always bought from Dell because we have discounts from my work. Ive never had the need... until now. Yes, I should be dragged in the street and shot. :p

I've replaced memory, power supplies, optical drives, hard drives, etc., but never have built from scratch. Shame on me, I know.

2. SwoLy-D

UPDATE: Put the parts together last night, tried turning on, but no go. :(

The fans on all the video card, case, and CPU cooler turn on, but shut down immediately. Removed everything. Left only the CPU. Tried again. No go. :eek: I don't have time to work on it today, so I will troubleshoot tomorrow.

I know the MoBo is thinking: "Whoa! Easy there! I can't short myself!" and shuts down. From what I know, there's a POST, but I don't even get to any beeps.

What could this be?

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Were you grounded when building your machine?

4. SwoLy-D

I don't recall if I was completely grounded, but I had a wrist strap and it was attached to the case. I was working on carpet and I noticed I shocked myself a couple of times before I even touched the case, but then that's when I grabbed the wrist strap and I used it for the entire duration of installation.

Now that I know that I may have shorted out the motherboard: what's up? It powers on, but that's just for a second if that much and then it turns off. :eek:

5. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Test the PSU with multimeter and re-check the ground screws on motherboard if loose etc.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You never stated what you picked up. You should always test the MoBo, CPU and memory together first and make sure you can get into bios. From there, let it run a short while and make sure the core temps stay stable.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This is the resonance I don't build my own machines anymore. A day of my time dealing with bad memory sticks, incompatible drivers, and bent pins isn't my idea of fun. I find a dell or hp with the processor I want and upgrade the memory video card after. My time is worth more than that

8. SwoLy-D

I'll try that, MIAGI. I'll do it while it's in the case, then I'll take it out and try again. I think I either tightened the screws too much or too little.
    yYeah, I didn't say. I should have. I'm not home, but when I get back, I will let you all know what I got, specific by model, etc. The dude at Fry's was very knowledgeable, I thought. :cool: Thanks, y'all... I'm liking this "physical and mental challenge".

9. SwoLy-D

So I was missing the CPU 12v power cord. :grin:

I shorted out the power on the +- switch on the JFP1 and it works. I see 32GB on the MSI menu.

It's on like Donkey Kong Jr. now, outside the case. Once I put in

One thing I'm missing is the speaker for the POST. :confused: Do motherboards not come with buzzers or bells any more?

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
    $99.99

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    $109.99

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ...
    $15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $269.98
    ($134.99 each)
    AMD Gift - Dirt3 Game Coupon

Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active ...
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $99.99

Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 992030
    $95.96
    ($23.99 each)

LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature SATA IHBS112-04
    $64.99

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    $15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $84.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...

EVGA P67 SLI Micro 120-SB-E672-KR LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Combo
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $269.98

Total: $1,095.87
    $85 in MIR

Done SMH at Swoly, just posting in case someone wants to build a gaming machine

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You've really handicapped the system with the subpar motherboard. Why have a 2500k if you don't intend on OCing it?

Also I would have paid 260ish for a single video card and upgraded later for SLI/crossfire.

12. lpbman

lpbman Member

Why do you say it doesn't overclock well? It does overclock, and in my experience the difference between a great overclocking board and average is very small i.e. 4.4ghz instead of 4.5ghz. Woo!
    If you have the cash, by all means get a better board, but I was building to a budget as I am want to do. (and I say the phrase "as I am want to do" a lot, as I am want to do)

As far as the video card, I made some assumptions because finding an up to date review of CF'ed 6850's is difficult, but I guessed since a single 6850 is usually faster than a 7770 it would also be faster in crossfire...

Two of thesehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125415 for $180 after mir (total) is ~as fast as a ghz edition 7850 for $240 and if you upgrade the way I do (or used to when I had cash to burn) you find that two years from now, selling two used 7770's will get you more than a single 7850 and buying a then current generation part will be more cost effective than adding a second 7850. 7850's could also become scarce when you go looking to upgrade which is something I ran into with 4850's. I wouldn't fault anyone for using your logic, you'll save a bit in power consumption and noise.