1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Someone who knows Guam slang help me out here...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Lorenzo_2003

Lorenzo_2003 New Member

Too bad rachelly101 is completely wrong. My guess is that she (he?) is either very young and unfamiliar with the words or simply not a native speaker.

Chelu is a Chamorro (i.e. Guam indigenous language) word that means, "brother" or "sister." It does not refer to any figurative meaning, although there are some teenagers who loosely use it that way. A chelu is blood related, in other words.

Brodie is Guam slang that refers to people with mental disabilities. It originated, unfortunately, from references to students who attended Chief Brodie Elementary School, which for a very long time accomodated children with special needs. Navy Chief Petty Officer Clifford Brodie helped start construction of the school in 1960 and was involved until his death soon after. Although the school now maintains a large student body of "regular" students, the use of Brodie as an insult is still used by many.

I can't stress enough how much of a derogatory term it is, except that very close friends sometimes use it in a playful, taunting manner. Do NOT call a native Guamanian, especially a Chamorro, "Brodie," unless you want to start a fight.

D-rock likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hmm, methinks the new tag feature is having an effect.

DD

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Cool story, brodie.

D-rock likes this.
  4. uwdlose671

uwdlose671 Member

you're wrong

actually , you are really wrong, brodie and che'lu is another way of saying brother or close friend. SORRY, IM from Guam

5. uwdlose671

uwdlose671 Member

Hi, i'm from Guam. NO, we do not speak guamanese or whatever you want to call it. The main language from Guam is Chamoru. Brodie and Che'lu mean brother or a really close friend. Its not a ricial joke, it means you're close , like a brother. There are many varieties of cultures on Guam such as : Filipino, Chuukese, Yapese, Chamoru, Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, and so on. Guam is interdependent between the family and extended family, so dont get offended because that means he counts you as extended family. They might also say "kucksika" which either means crazy, or a reall **** sucker, but it depends how they say it. in a funny way they would say " Lechae Che'lu ! what you did was kuksika ! " but in a bad way they would say , " **** YOU , YOU KUCKSIKA ! " and theres also "lechae" which means "woah", "wow" , or "**** (in a good way) . if anything , say hafa adai , which means hello or welcome but pronounce it " hahfa dei " . Chamoru is somewhat similar to espanot (spanish) so to say good bye, you would say adios.

6. uwdlose671

uwdlose671 Member

"they" speak Chamoru, and they are called Chamorus or Chamorros.

7. uwdlose671

uwdlose671 Member

i do, cause im actually from Guam, any translations you wnna know?

8. uwdlose671

uwdlose671 Member

brodie means either brother , stupid , or retarted (in a joking manner)

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Brodie is slang for someone slow or mentally r****ded.

There was well known school for handicapped children on the island called Brodie Institute or Brodie Memorial if memory serves me (down the street from JFK high school).

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  10. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

D-rock, DonkeyMagic and RustyHarden like this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

They’re calling you a stat w****

12. Buck Turgidson

2003-2011-2020

These bumps are impressive.

D-rock and ryan_98 like this.
  13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'm sure there have been crazier necro bumps, but this certainly takes the cake for a thread I started. I haven't even talked to the person the thread was about for over a decade anyway, so don't really care anymore, but thanks for the info anyway @D-rock

D-rock, boomboom and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

@D-rock with the timely education.
    Don't forget the 2012 bump where I think we may have the most plausible answer (from Guam anyway).

D-rock, boomboom and Buck Turgidson like this.