1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Player Mock - Beal drops to 19

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sooty, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

If I were the general manager ..
    If I were the general manager ...
    The Mag asks NBA players to draft for their respective teams
    Originally Published: June 26, 2012
    By Ric Bucher, Sam Alipour, Elena Bergeron, Chris Palmer, Chris Broussard, Jordan Brenner, Molly Knight, Sarah Turcotte, Louise Cornetta | ESPN The Magazine
    NBA Mock Draft ESPN.com Illustration Davis to the Hornets? Drummond to the Cavs? Barnes to the Wiz? How did NBA players draft for their teams?

For the this, our fourth annual NBA a mock draft, The Mag asked players from each first-the round team to be their team's General Manager. Lessons? Anthony Davis - surprise! - our No 1 to pick; by Gerald Henderson, thinks the Bobcats need more effort; and NBA players aren't sold on the services of Brad Beal, a consensus top-five pick, who inexplicably fell to the Orlando Magic at No. 19 in our draft. The New Orleans Hornets the forward Jason Smith , you're on the clock ...

1. Anthony Davis, F, Kentucky

The Selected by: Jason Smith

"Davis is a young athletic player who has an amazing presence on the defensive end," says Hornets forward Smith about the Wildcat frosh, who blocked almost five shots per game. "That's rare in young players today." (The Hornets were 21st in the NBA in blocks in 2011-12.)

2 Michael Kidd-from Gilchrist , F, Kentucky

The Selected by: Gerald Henderson

"More than anything, he just plays really hard, and that's what our team could really use," says Bobcats guard Henderson, the only Charlotte player to start more than 50 games last season. "I wouldn't say he's a great ball handler or shooter or rebounder, but he's got some slashing ability. His effort and passion for the game is what really stands out. "(Kidd-Gilchrist averaged 11.9 ppg and 7.4 rpg last season.)

3 Harrison Barnes , F, UNC,

Selected by: Chris Singleton

"We feel like he can play the 2 or the 3, and that's what we need help with," says Singleton. "We know he can shoot, and with the Wizards being more of an open offense, people can't focus on him ; he'll fit right in with us. "(Barnes scored 17.1 ppg and shot 36 percent of 3-pointers.)

4 Andre Drummond , C, UConn

The Selected by: Daniel Gibson

"He's a young, athletic 7-footer with great potential," says Cavs guard Gibson about Drummond, who ranked in the top 30 in both offensive rebound and block percentage. "And, as they say, you just can't teach height. "(Drummond averaged 10 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 2.7 bpg in just over 28 minutes per game.)

Thomas Robinson , F, of Kansas

The Selected by: the Isaiah Thomas

"I love his physical style, the way he loves to bang," says Kings rookie guard Thomas. "He's long and can run really well, which is good because we like to push it." [SAC led the league in possessions per 48 minutes in. 2011-12]. "With 'Big Cous' DeMarcus Cousins ​​, that would give us one of the best young, front lines in the league. "(Robinson, was the best the defensive throughout rebounder in the nation with a 30.5 the defensive throughout rebounding percentage).

6. Jared Sullinger , F, Ohio State

The Selected by: Nolan, Smith

"He's a winner in every way, a skilled big man with the work ethic to succeed," says Blazers guard Smith. "He's got a big body to throw around and has great touch and shooting ability to make plays." (Sullinger, who last week was medically red-flagged by NBA doctors, averaged 17.5 ppg and 9.2 rpg last season).

7 Tyler Zeller , F, UNC,

The Selected by: Stephen Curry

"We need to get bigger up front, and Tyler is somebody who could come in and give us depth," says Warriors guard Stephen Curry. "We like to play an inside / out game, so we need that inside presence to open up our shooters. "(In 2011-12, Zeller averaged 16.3 ppg and 9.6 rpg and shot 81 percent from the line.)

8 Kendall Marshall , G, a UNC

The Selected by: Ed Davis

"Kendall and I played on the same AAU team together," says fellow Tar Heel Davis about Marshall, who averaged 9.8 apg and had the third highest assist rate in the country last year. "He's a great leader and passes the ball well to the bigs. "

Meyers, Leonard, C, Illinois

The Selected by: Ben Gordon

"The People keep telling me about his explosiveness, which is a nice plus, for a in big like him," says guard Gordon,. "Of He's a the listener, so being with someone like , Greg Monroe, would be great for him. "(Leonard,'s line for the season : 13.6 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 1.9 bpg)

10 Austin Rivers , the Duke

Selected by: Jason Smith

"Austin Rivers is an exceptional player at his position," says Smith about the Blue Devils freshman, who averaged more than 15 ppg last year. "He has a very high basketball IQ" (Rivers averaged 15.5 ppg, shooting 43 percent and also averaged 2.3 turnovers a game.)

By Damian Lillard G and Weber, the State

Selected by: Nolan Smith

"The Blazers' depth chart only has me on it at the PG spot, and Lillard will bring explosiveness to a young back court," Smith says about the Wildcats senior, who averaged 24.5 ppg and shot 41 percent from 3-point range. " He's aggressive and very athletic. "

12 Jeremy Lamb , G, UConn

The Selected by: Brandon Jennings

"His future is really bright, and he'll be able to guard the one, two or three," says Bucks guard Jennings about Lamb, who, at 6-foot-5, has a 6-foot-11 wingspan. "With Monta and me, he'll fit right in on the wing, running the floor with us. "

13 Dion waiters , G, Syracuse,

The Selected by: Robin Lopez,

"We need a guy who can provide instant offense, a guy who can take the ball in his hands and score on his terms from the perimeter," says Suns center Lopez. "We just didn't have anyone quite like that coming off the bench this year. "[Waiters averaged 12.6/2.3/2.5 last season.]

14 the Marquis Teague, G, Kentucky

The Selected by: Patrick Patterson

"First and foremost, he's a Wildcat and a national champion," says fellow former Wildcat and Rockets forward Patterson about Teague, who boasts a 41-inch vertical. "He's a good ball handler and, most importantly, he's lightning quick, which is something that will help us in transition. "

Arnett Moultrie , F, Mississippi State

The Selected by: Evan Turner

"Moultrie is a very good passer for an athletic big," says Sixers guard Turner. "He's got a lot of energy and has a great motor." (Moultrie averaged 16.4 ppg on 55 percent shooting.)

16 of Fab Melo , C, Syracuse

Selected by: Patrick Patterson

"Plain and simple: He's a seven-footer who can defend the rim," Patterson says about the Syracuse sophomore, who had the eighth highest block percentage in the nation last year. "He has room to grow offensively in the NBA, but he's a quality young big at a position of need for us. "

17. Terrence Jones , F, Kentucky

The Selected by: Jason Kidd

"We need an athletic big, but I'm going with Jones because he knows how to win," says Mavericks PG Kidd. "And I like that he doesn't have a position. He's just a good basketball player who knows how to get it done. (Jones averaged 12.3 ppg and 7.2 rpg in 2011-12.)

18 John Henson , F, UNC,

The Selected by: Wayne, Ellington on

"Henson is a good rebounder and will be a good defender and shot blocker," says Wolves guard Wayne Ellington about his Tar Heel comrade, who averaged 13.7 points and 9.9 rebounds per game last season. (Editor's Note: This pick has been traded to the Houston Rockets.)

19 Bradley Beal, , G, Florida,

The Selected by: JJ Redick

"He's the best player available, and he could be the shooting guard Magic fans have longed for, someone who can create his own shot," says Magic guard Redick about the Gators freshman, who averaged 14.6 ppg and 6.5 rpg. "All this is moot if he dropped this far because he has a life-threatening injury or a habit of punching his coaches that I don't know about. "

20. by Kris Joseph , F, Syracuse

The Selected by: Wilson Chandler

"He is long, athletic and can really shoot the ball," says Nuggets forward Chandler about Joseph, who averaged 13.4 ppg and 4.7 rpg. "Also, he fits in defensively with the athletes we have.''

21 Perry Jones, III, F, Baylor

The Selected by: Avery Bradley

"Jones has a lot of potential," says Celtics guard Avery Bradley about the Bears sophomore. "When you come into the NBA, the main thing is picking it up on defense. If he comes in with that mindset and comes in and plays hard on defense, that usually helps put you on the floor. "

22 Tony Wroten Jr. , G, Washington

Selected by: Avery Bradley

"We're both from Seattle," Bradley says about the 6-foot-5 Huskies freshman. "That's my guy. Tony's a great passer, and he's tall for his position at point guard. He can learn a lot of from [Rajon ] Rondo. "(Wroten averaged 16 ppg, 5 rpg and 3.7 apg last season.)

23 Terrence Ross, G, Washington

The Selected by: Jeff Teague

"He flew under the radar because they didn't make the tournament, but Ross is a good combo wing that I could see being a good fit for us," says Hawks guard Teague. "He can score in different ways, and most of the draft boards I've seen have him just outside the lottery, so if he fell to 23, I see us scooping him up. "

24. Royce, White , F, Iowa State

Selected by: Daniel Gibson

"Royce brings versatility from the wing, which is something we can always use more of," Gibson says of the Cyclones forward who led Iowa State team in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. "He handles the ball well, battles on the boards and brings great intensity on offense and defense. "

25 Henry Sims, C, Georgetown

The Selected by: Tony Allen

"Honestly, I do not know that much about him, but if you can the get size this late in the draft, that's a good thing," says Grizzlies guard Allen the "I like My man Hamed, Haddadi [the Memphis' backup center] if he can get into shape and step things up, but Sims wouldn't be bad coming off the bench. "(Sims averaged 11.6 ppg and six rpg.)

26 by Evan Fournier of G, France

The Selected by: Tyler Hansbrough

"I like guys with his skillset, and he can provide depth for our team at the 2 and the 3," says Pacers forward Hansbrough. "He'd be nice insurance for George Hill and would give us another Versatile scoring option off the bench is . "

27. D'Aundray Brown, G, Cleveland State

The Selected by: Norris, Cole

"Brown led the Horizon League in steals this past season and is a great rebounding wing," says Cole, who played with the 6-foot-4 guard at Cleveland State for three years. "His ability to defend multiple positions and score in the open court would fit right into the Heat system. "

28 , Tomas Satoransky, G and Czech Republic

The Selected by: Nick Collison

"I like his length, and he has tremendous upside," says Thunder forward Collison about the 6-foot-7 Satoransky. "It will also give us the ability to keep him overseas."

29 Khris Middleton, , F, Texas A & M

The Selected by: Kyle Korver

"He will fit in well because he has the reputation of a hard-working, coachable guy who can be effective without needing to dominate the ball," says Bulls forward Korver about Middleton, who averaged 13.2 ppg, 5 rpg and 2.3 apg.

30 Miles Plumlee , F, Duke,

Selected by: Stephen Curry

"I'm taking him for the same reason I took Tyler Zeller at No. 7, to add depth at the 4 and 5 spot and beef up our rebounding," Curry says about Plumlee, who, at 16.6 percent, ranked seventh in the country in offensive rebound rate last year. "As far as his skills, he moves well and has a lot of confidence in his 15-foot jump shot."

2. AFS

AFS Member

Lol. Redick essentially was forced to draft his replacement

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

28 , Tomas Satoransky, G and Czech Republic

The Selected by: Nick Collison

"I like his length, and he has tremendous upside," says Thunder forward Collison about the 6-foot-7 Satoransky. "It will also give us the ability to keep him overseas."

Nick Collison wasn't going to fall into the Redick trap.

4. eman

eman Contributing Member

Redick scores points for hilarity. I wonder if he might score some points for us.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Thank god pat isn't our GM

6. rockets11champs

Patrick patterson would be a terrible GM... Lol

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is that actually a published article?

It is shocking! SO hard to read with the awful grammar

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If true, Kyle Korver's selection for the Bulls seems so honest of him, and Singleton has been rising.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pat is the Kentucky version of Michael Jordan as a GM.

10. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

What is that random "on" after Wayne Ellington's name in the description of the 18th pick (which we now have.) I've seen that somewhere else . . .

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We already know that Morey likes Teague and Melo would be the best big man in that range.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No..no you don't get it. Bash Pat!!! :mad: