ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Where Do The Rockets Go From Here?
Tags:  basketball, facebook, houston rockets, nba Tags
Rip Van Rocket is offline Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #41
Rip Van Rocket
Contributing Member
Rip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRip Van Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: May 2002
Member: #4070
I'm not frustrated or upset in any way about the current state of the Rockets. We have been without Yao for a very short time. As long as the Rockets had some hope that Yao could make a comeback, they were really obligated to be in win now mode. Yao was the Superstar that the team was to be built around. When Yao started getting injured, it put the Rockets in a difficult position. They didn't want to start a rebuilding process as long as there was still a glimmer of hope that Yao could return. It was a long shot that Yao could return and be a force again, but that was what they were hoping for and I can't blame them for that.

Morey did make some moves that they thought might pay some huge returns if everything worked out. But, unfortunately Jordan Hill, Thabeet, and Terrence Williams were all busts for the Rockets. Morey was also trying to pair up Gasol and Nene, a move I wasn't crazy about, but a move that proves that Morey isn't content to just sit back and do nothing.

I think we are in a position to improve over the next few years. A lot of changes are in store in the near future. If the Rockets can sign Dragic and trade Lowry for something of value that's a big plus. Martin is in the last year of his contract this next year, so that's something that could benefit the Rockets. In addition to our two first round picks this season, we will also be adding Motiejūnas to the Roster, so that will make us much younger, and probably more athletic team.

The Rockets are not stuck with a bunch a bad contracts. Scola will make around 10 million for the next three seasons, but that isn't bad at all compared to someone like an Amare Stoudemire, who is basically untradeable. If the Rockets wanted to trade Scola they probably could.

I've been watching the Rockets since 1971, when they moved to Houston. So, I've seen a lot of ups and downs. Sometimes it just takes some patients to allow things to work out. So, next year we may have Dragic as our PG for the future. We will probably have an improved Parsons at small forward. Motiejūnas will be added to the front line. Morris may find a way to show us what he can do. Maybe a new player or draft pick in return for Lowry. And, a couple of first round draft choices. I'm Ok with all that at this point.

I'm sure Morey will continue to try an pull off the big trade, and that's really all I can ask for. The Rockets have chosen not to blow up the team and give away all their most desirable players for nothing, and I can accept that. Many teams blow their team up and it takes a decade or more to recover, so I can see why the Rockets are hesitant to rush down that road. I'm looking forward to seeing what next years team looks like.

Sponsored Link
B-Bob is online now Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #42
B-Bob
Contributing Member
B-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamshakin View Post
LOL. I read a little bit further than that, where it said we finished with 34-23 record. I like how it says Bill Ingram senior NBA editor.
exactly. /thread /reading "hoopsworld"

plutoblue11 is offline Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #43
plutoblue11
plutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 2006
Member: #19851
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r-all-30-teams

I know alot of posters frown upon bleacher report, but this article gives good insight to who teams maybe targeting in free agency (and what needs they might have for the draft).

For the Rockets, obviously, the most glaring need cited was center/power forward. In reality, nearly every position should be open for upgrade, except maybe starting SF, even then if there is a good small forward we can get our hands on by chance. I wouldn't have any problems moving Parsons to the bench or parting ways with him.

Well, @guardian it makes for a nice change...at least I didn't wake up to the internet telling me I was dead again.

ó Patrick Stewart (@SirPatStew) February 18, 2014

albuster is offline Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
albuster
albuster is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #37084
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoblue11 View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r-all-30-teams

I know alot of posters frown upon bleacher report, but this article gives good insight to who teams maybe targeting in free agency (and what needs they might have for the draft).

For the Rockets, obviously, the most glaring need cited was center/power forward. In reality, nearly every position should be open for upgrade, except maybe starting SF, even then if there is a good small forward we can get our hands on by chance. I wouldn't have any problems moving Parsons to the bench or parting ways with him.
This is a really great post. Repped.

mr. 13 in 33 is offline Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #45
mr. 13 in 33
mr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmr. 13 in 33 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketkid713 View Post
At times, fans of the Houston Rockets may feel like theyíre caught in an old episode of The Twilight Zone, with the same story lines repeating themselves over and over.

This season the Rockets looked very good at times, struggled at times, nearly made the playoffs, fell just short at the end of the season, had significant injuries, saw heroes rise to help the team overcome those injuries, and now theyíre looking forward to drafting right in the middle of the first round.

Sound familiar?

The Rockets are one of a handful of NBA teams that are stuck in purgatory; not good enough to make the playoffs, but also not good enough to land a high enough draft pick to completely change the fortunes of the franchise. This is exactly where the Rockets have been for the last several season, and itís where they are as we take an in-depth look at the summer ahead and the challenges Houstonís front office faces in trying to break this ongoing pattern.

Coaching

Kevin McHale had a solid first season as the Rocketsí head coach, guiding the team to a 34-23 record and finishing with the ninth seed in the West. Considering it was his first full season as an NBA head coach, thatís not bad. He coached the Minnesota Timberwolves for 31 games in 2004-05, going 19-12 in that stretch, and then again in 2008-09 for 63 games, going 20-43. So this was McHaleís second-best season on the bench despite the plethora of injuries that presented him and his staff with the challenge of remaking lineups and rotations more often than not.

McHale struggled to adjust on the fly, at times, and while that can sometimes be attributed to injuries and a shortened bench, thatís something every head coach has to face on a nightly basis and itís an area where McHale is going to have to improve going forward. On the flip side, McHaleís offense was an equal opportunity environment in which the players who performed best got minutes ahead of those who might have expected to get minutes. The teamís success can be directly attributed to that approach, which is not unlike the way Rick Adelman ran the team before McHale.

The Draft

The Rockets are again expected to pick in the middle of the pack in this summerís NBA draft, but this time around they have two picks. HOOPSWORLDís Mock Draft team has Houston going for size at 14, choosing either Tyler Zeller or Meyers Leonard, while the consensus opinion is that they will look for a wing at 16 with either Austin Rivers or Quincy Miller.

Houston rarely does the conventional, as evidence by their selection of power forwards in each of the last two drafts despite that being their most log-jammed position. Still, center continues to be their most glaring need, so Leonard would make sense. Zeller would, too, but most mocks have him going top ten, so he may not be an option for Houston at 14.

Austin Rivers makes sense if the Rockets do as expected and move Kevin Martin over the summer. Rivers would come in as Courtney Leeís replacement in the second unit, assuming Lee is still in town. This season Lee proved once again that he can start, and his ability to play both ends of the floor makes Martin very expendable. Rivers would have a chance to work his way into the rotation, which might serve him better than being thrown into the starting lineup on a lesser team. Houston has also been in the hunt for an elite small forward, working the phones to try and land Carmelo Anthony, Andre Iguodala and Danny Granger over the last year or so, but they havenít had any luck in that department. They donít really need Quincy Miller as things stand today, but the roster is in a state of flux and they might wind up making a trade that opens up a spot for another small forward.

Ultimately, the Rockets would be much better off either packaging their two first round picks to land a top five or else trying to move down. As history has shown, the Rockets have much better luck drafting in the second round than they do in the first.

Free Agency and Trades

The Rockets will have some cap space this summer, but they also have some gaping holes to fill with that space. Courtney Lee is a restricted free agent, and you can bank on him being back in Houston next season. Chase Budinger has a team option on his contract, which the Rockets will absolutely exercise.

Goran Dragic is an unrestricted free agent, and while the Rockets are intensely interested in bringing him back, Dragic is likely to get significant offers from Toronto, Portland, and perhaps even Dallas. He showed he can be a very good starting point guard, and plenty of teams around the league need one and took note of his play. Marcus Camby is also an unrestricted free agent, and while heís close to the end of his career, he was also Houstonís best starting center option over the second half of the season. Itís not out of the question that they could bring him back, but at a radically reduced price. It would also behoove Houston to plan of Camby being the back-up center, as starting him is just a prelude to injury.

Samuel Dalembertís contract is not fully guaranteed for next season, so thereís a chance heís not back with the Rockets. He looked good to a fan base thatís become all too accustomed to watching the likes of Jordan Hill and Hasheem Thabeet, but the reality is that Dalembert is a good back-up center for a playoff team. The likelihood that Houston could make the playoffs with Dalembert starting at center is fairly slim.

The trade scenarios for Houston are not unlike those of years past. Anyone and everyone can be had for the right price, though the team has been reluctant to part with starting point guard Kyle Lowry. Theyíre looking for a superstar to be the face of the franchise, and they will part with whatever they have to part with to land that superstar. Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, Courtney Lee, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, section 102 of Toyota Center Ė the Rockets will give up whatever they have to give up, but so far they havenít had any success in their ongoing superstar pursuit.

This summerís free agency class doesnít really offer up and homeruns for Houston, either. Deron Williams is the big name, but he is extremely unlikely to even look at Houston and the Rockets donít need him all that much, either. Chris Kaman is an interesting name when it comes to centers, and heís easily the best center available in free agency this summer. When heís healthy heís a top ten NBA center. The Rockets have also shown interest in Omer Asik, who will be an unrestricted free agent in Chicago. Roy Hibbert would be a nice addition, but heís restricted and the Indiana Pacers are extremely unlikely to let him walk. Philadelphiaís Spencer Hawes is also unrestricted and wouldnít be bad as a second or third option if some other things didnít pan out and Philly didnít get him taken care of quickly.

The International Factor

The Rockets have had a couple of players waiting in the wings in Europe, and one of them is expected to be with the team next season. Donatas Motiejūnas averaged 13 points and eight rebounds per game in Euroleague play this season and even had a 21-rebound game in December, third-best all-time in Europe. The Rockets were hoping to see him improve in rebounding more than anything else, and he responded in a significant way. Itís still not clear that Motiejūnas will be an impact player, but he is an interesting prospect, to say the least. Heís added some much-needed upper body mass and is now a legit power forward. Heís more physical in the paint than fellow Europeans Dirk Nowitzki or Andrea Bargnani, but also lacks their touch from the outside. At the very least, heís a Josh McRoberts type of player, so he can help Houston, provided they make a move or two that opens up a spot in the rotation for another power forward.

Houston is still very much keeping an eye on Spanish point guard Sergio Llull, as well, though there is no expectation that he will join the team next season. Heís proving to be a legit point guard who could absolutely play at the NBA level, but the timing is not yet right for him to make his way to Houston.

Conclusion

The Rockets are a feisty bunch, and thatís something that endears them to their ever-faithful fan base. They are a team of fighters, and if they lose itís never for lack of effort. They believe they can beat any team on any given night, and that mentality has made them the best team not to make the playoffs over the last few seasons. The bottom line, however, is that they have to overachieve to win more nights than not, as they lack the star power to match up with the bulk of the leagueís playoff teams. They have two tasks to accomplish this summer, two things that trump everything else on the to-do list. They must find a legit starting center and they must find a franchise player to help them win games in the clutch. If they fail to do either of those things, donít be surprised if weíre right back here next season, talking about the 14th pick and another playoff berth just missed.
i stopped reading after that

"Any fool with a d*** can make a baby, but only a real man can raise his children" Laurence Fishburne

"Houston Rockets are a fun young team to watch" Walt Fraizer

When Mike Breen says "Bang" you just hit a big shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippy View Post
Paul will flop maybe once a game

dmoneybangbang is offline Old 05-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #46
dmoneybangbang
dmoneybangbang is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2012
Member: #50835
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. 13 in 33 View Post
i stopped reading after that
Going 34-23 isn't solid? Or are you that naive to put the collaspe all on the coach?

dmoneybangbang is offline Old 05-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #47
dmoneybangbang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Van Rocket View Post
I'm not frustrated or upset in any way about the current state of the Rockets. We have been without Yao for a very short time. As long as the Rockets had some hope that Yao could make a comeback, they were really obligated to be in win now mode. Yao was the Superstar that the team was to be built around. When Yao started getting injured, it put the Rockets in a difficult position. They didn't want to start a rebuilding process as long as there was still a glimmer of hope that Yao could return. It was a long shot that Yao could return and be a force again, but that was what they were hoping for and I can't blame them for that.

Morey did make some moves that they thought might pay some huge returns if everything worked out. But, unfortunately Jordan Hill, Thabeet, and Terrence Williams were all busts for the Rockets. Morey was also trying to pair up Gasol and Nene, a move I wasn't crazy about, but a move that proves that Morey isn't content to just sit back and do nothing.

I think we are in a position to improve over the next few years. A lot of changes are in store in the near future. If the Rockets can sign Dragic and trade Lowry for something of value that's a big plus. Martin is in the last year of his contract this next year, so that's something that could benefit the Rockets. In addition to our two first round picks this season, we will also be adding Motiejūnas to the Roster, so that will make us much younger, and probably more athletic team.

The Rockets are not stuck with a bunch a bad contracts. Scola will make around 10 million for the next three seasons, but that isn't bad at all compared to someone like an Amare Stoudemire, who is basically untradeable. If the Rockets wanted to trade Scola they probably could.

I've been watching the Rockets since 1971, when they moved to Houston. So, I've seen a lot of ups and downs. Sometimes it just takes some patients to allow things to work out. So, next year we may have Dragic as our PG for the future. We will probably have an improved Parsons at small forward. Motiejūnas will be added to the front line. Morris may find a way to show us what he can do. Maybe a new player or draft pick in return for Lowry. And, a couple of first round draft choices. I'm Ok with all that at this point.

I'm sure Morey will continue to try an pull off the big trade, and that's really all I can ask for. The Rockets have chosen not to blow up the team and give away all their most desirable players for nothing, and I can accept that. Many teams blow their team up and it takes a decade or more to recover, so I can see why the Rockets are hesitant to rush down that road. I'm looking forward to seeing what next years team looks like.
Thank you for your post of reasoning and sanity. Sometimes this board reads like an emo teenager's diary, "woe as me", "purgatory this", "treadmill of mediocrity that", etc. People just need to learn some patience and educate themselves on context. Context being we a just a few years removed from when Yao finally went down.

We Rockets, whether people want to acknowledge it or not, are in a great position for the future. People just need to enjoy the ride.

dmoneybangbang is offline Old 05-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #48
dmoneybangbang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
OK, so what? Playoff appearances are meaningless unless you've got the talent to go all the way. Otherwise you will be stuck in NBA purgatory for years.
Incorrect. Playoffs gives your too experience and makes your players look better (for trades) and makes your team look better. And generally... teams don't go straight from not making playoffs to championships. So perhaps you should learn patience.

Pete the Cheat is offline Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #49
Pete the Cheat
Pete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18897
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneybangbang View Post
Going 34-23 isn't solid? Or are you that naive to put the collaspe all on the coach?
That would be pretty good...but we were 34-32

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both

I haven't died. Right now I'm drinking a beer and eating fried chicken

dmoneybangbang is offline Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #50
dmoneybangbang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cheat View Post
That would be pretty good...but we were 34-32
Haha, stupid fat fingers. But yes 34-32 is solid for a coach with experience like McHale's, especially considering the lockout.

Im Just Sayin is offline Old 05-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #51
Im Just Sayin
Im Just Sayin is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #37691
Why we don't need Deron Williams as he alluded to? Do we have a better solution?

GATER is offline Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #52
GATER
Contributing Member
GATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineGATER is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
Who are these 80%? I must have missed these people. Moving up to 8th-10th from 14th is doable. Top 5 is highly unlikely.
Sorry..called the election before the polls closed. It may not be "80%" but...

Close to 1 out of every 3 voters thought 14 + 16 gets you Top 5. That's a fact...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/poll.php?d...ts&pollid=7989

And it's self-delusional.

However, every year we go through the same Morey media hype about moving up. It's not happening again this year. If 10 or better is as "doable" as you (and 90% of the poll) suggest, I suggest a Tip Jar bet.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #53
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATER View Post

Sorry..called the election before the polls closed. It may not be "80%" but...

Close to 1 out of every 3 voters thought 14 + 16 gets you Top 5. That's a fact...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/poll.php?d...ts&pollid=7989

And it's self-delusional.

However, every year we go through the same Morey media hype about moving up. It's not happening again this year. If 10 or better is as "doable" as you (and 90% of the poll) suggest, I suggest a Tip Jar bet.
I dont see top 5, either, but the poll question was not what 14 and 16 gets you, but how high they can get with all of their players, picks, and assets in a trade. Check out the first post in that thread.