ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner
vaids_13 is offline Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
vaids_13
vaids_13 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvaids_13 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvaids_13 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvaids_13 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jan 2001
Member: #2106
I was going to post this in the already existing thread about Adam Yauch's recent passing, but given its potential to incite debate, I thought it more appropriate to post in D&D.

Having grown up (like many here) listening to hip hop, the Beastie Boys played a central role in my hip hop repertoire. There's lots that can be said about them as a group, and Adam Yauch in particular, but one of the things that I really admired about him was the manner in which he was able to use his platform as an artist to advocate for causes he really believed in.

Beyond being a practicing Buddhist, he was a strong advocate for Tibetan freedom, helping to establish the Milarepa Fund which raises awareness for Tibetan Independence. A spokesman for the Dalai Lama said about him:

Quote:
Adam had helped us raise awareness on the plight of the Tibetan people by organizing various freedom Tibet concerts and he will be remembered by his holiness and the Tibetan people.
A moment that will always stick out to me was Adam Yauch's acceptance speech in 1998 at the VMAS, when they received the Video Vanguard award. During it, he spoke about racialized attitudes in the US, and the need to resolve conflicts globally through peaceful means, particular with the Middle East and Muslim world. You can view the speech here (see the 6 minute mark onwards):

(if it doesnt embed properly, you can see it at this link)

Today, most celebrity figures are decidedly one-dimensional, and contribute little to society beyond senseless tabloid news and twitter notes. In any case, Adam Yauch will certainly be missed for those of us who value artists who transcend their profession and positively affect society.

Sponsored Link
Commodore is offline Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Commodore
Contributing Member
Commodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCommodore is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #28812
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaids_13 View Post
In any case, Adam Yauch will certainly be missed for those of us who value artists who transcend their profession and positively affect society.
Did he though?

heypartner is offline Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
heypartner
Contributing Member
heypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldheypartner is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #920
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaids_13 View Post
In any case, Adam Yauch will certainly be missed for those of us who value artists who transcend their profession and positively affect society.
Yeah, I'm with Commodore. I don't get this. I was a college radio DJ when Beasties hit it, and I have many friends from that radio station and beyond who today are sad. I don't think any of us thought or think your last sentence is what Adam Yauch meant or did.

Did you put this in D&D just to make an argument on his death.

The rest of your post I liked. But why the argument?

amaru is offline Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
amaru
amaru is Omer Asik -- working the boardsamaru is Omer Asik -- working the boardsamaru is Omer Asik -- working the boardsamaru is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42710
Not a fan.

"Who are we? We are the descendants of slaves...We are the heirs of a past of rope, fire, and murder. I for one am not ashamed of this past. My shame is for those who became so inhuman that they could inflict this torture upon us"

- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

IN MOREY I TRUST!

rimrocker is offline Old 05-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
rimrocker
Contributing Member
rimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1038
I literally have never had a thought about The Beastie Boys that I can remember. Not trying to troll or anything... They were just after my time.

Rocket River is offline Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Rocket River
Rocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRocket River is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #828
They seemed like ok dudes.
I was not a big fan of their music

He seemed to care but honestly I did not know that much about his Tibet project
and . . . I am not overly educated about the Tibet situation.
So not sure I want to comment.

As far as speaking out for their causes
I will say some artist are more vocal . . other do theirs behind the scenes
We are not privy to everything they do . . .nor should we

He had a belief. He worked for his cause.
I can celebrate that.
But
I am not sure it should be use as a standard to compare others to.

Why must we put someone down . . .to lift someone else up?

MCA stood on his own merits. . . . let him stand now.

Rocket River

"Under Ideal circumstances. . . people perform Ideally. . . the measure of a person is how the perform under less than Ideal conditions." - Omen River

I VOTE FOR SAM CASSELL AS THE NEXT ROCKETS COACH!

Adding to may Arya List: Snottie Pippen, CHRIS BISH

StupidMoniker is offline Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
StupidMoniker
Contributing Member
StupidMoniker is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneStupidMoniker is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneStupidMoniker is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneStupidMoniker is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneStupidMoniker is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneStupidMoniker is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2863
One of the best and most influential hip hop/rap acts of all time, who then went on to release shockingly good instrumental albums. Fought for their right to party and did it with a wiffle ball bat.

CCorn is offline Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
CCorn
Contributing Member
CCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47978
Top 2 Jewish rap group ever.

Occupy Unsorted

bigtexxx is offline Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
bigtexxx
Contributing Member
bigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbigtexxx is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4585
Easily one of the best rappers of all time.

I don't listen to musicians' opinions on anything else, just their music

moestavern19 is online now Old 05-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
moestavern19
Contributing Member
moestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1017
I never liked their music very much. But he seemed like a good person.

thadeus is offline Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
thadeus
Contributing Member
thadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemthadeus is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexxx View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Troll.

rocketsjudoka is offline Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
rocketsjudoka
Contributing Member
rocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrocketsjudoka is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24870
I somewhat agree with Bigtexxx on this as I don't really judge musicians based on their other opinions. I liked the Beastie Boys as a teen and I admire Adam Yauch's work on the Tibet cause but I didn't judge his music on his activism or vice versa.

Its always good to see famous artist do something positive with their fame but I don't think its a requirement.

"Until then though I am still and will remain a Rockets fan even if zombie Joe Stalin was the coach. "

Help Typhoon Rebuilding in the Philippines
http://www.fil-minnesotan.org/

or if you don't like helping people
http://www.reverbnation.com/theserfs

Mathloom is offline Old 05-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
Mathloom
Contributing Member
Mathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #33940
My process is that I give artists a chance by trying to listen to their music a few times. Never really found beastie boys interesting except 2 or 3 songs. But when I hear about stuff like this, it always makes me go back and listen to it again.

Reason being, IMO all music is beautiful to the composer, so the closer you can get to seeing/hearing it their way, the closer you are to appreciating it the way they do. Knowing things like this about people gives me a better understanding of who they are and therefore how they see things.

rlmjdime is offline Old 05-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #14
rlmjdime
rlmjdime is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2007
Member: #23066
Was never a fan but always respected what they did for music. RIP.

DFWRocket is online now Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
DFWRocket
DFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1348
I always thought it was interesting that they made their mark with License to Ill which had a Large following with rap fans of all races...but their subsequent albums were heavily bought and adored by white alternative & punk kids and not the usual hip hop audience. To this day many of those people will tell you that their best album was their worst selling album - Pauls Boutique.

I really commend them for denouncing their earlier misogynistic attitudes and going so far as even performing their older songs with less offensive lyrics..showed true maturity as people.

I liked their music..honestly, but I didn't think it was the holy grail of rap like many of their fans would like to think it is.

Rest in peach Adam..though I disagree with your politics, I commend the way you for stuck up for your beliefs with rallys, benefit concerts ect... Instead of just talking and mouthing off, you actually did the work and made yourself a good example - and actions speak louder than words my friend.

"If you stay in this land, I will build you up and not tear you down; I will plant you and not uproot you, for I am grieved over the disaster I have inflicted on you" - Jeremiah 42:10

I think the belief that all people are entitled to certain tangible lifestyle items has created a class in debt and in indentured servitude. - Rocketman1981

DFWRocket is online now Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
DFWRocket
DFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDFWRocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCorn View Post
Top 2 Jewish rap group ever.

"If you stay in this land, I will build you up and not tear you down; I will plant you and not uproot you, for I am grieved over the disaster I have inflicted on you" - Jeremiah 42:10

I think the belief that all people are entitled to certain tangible lifestyle items has created a class in debt and in indentured servitude. - Rocketman1981

REEKO_HTOWN is online now Old 05-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32179
I love The Beastie Boys but I find people have a double standard when it comes to Celebrities and Causes.

MCA is awesome for helping Tibetans!

U2 are obnoxious for talking about Africa.

I'll give props to any celebrity that puts their money where their mouth is. I could be a fantastic artist or Justin Bieber.

2014's new version of I'm not a racist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh7 View Post
Please don't label me racist for pointing these facts out, for it's not a racial issue. Even my successful african-american friends...

RocketMan Tex is offline Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
RocketMan Tex
Contributing Member
RocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #97
Quote:

I don't listen to musicians' opinions on anything else, just their music

"Oh no you (BURP) dint juss say dat...."