Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Notices

Page 8 of 9
« 67 89

Tags:  football, houston texans, nfl, texans, whitney mercilus Tags
Nook is offline Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
    Reply With Quote   #141
Nook
Nook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsNook is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32535
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEKO_HTOWN View Post
There are a lot of college players that lead the nation in _______ but are garbage in the pros.

I do trust Wade to know what the kid is good at and put him in a position to do it well.
National leader in sacks

2000 Julius Peppers
2001 Dwight Freeney
2002 Terrell Suggs

2003 Bo Shobel
2004 Johnathan Goddard
2005 Elvis Dummerville
2006 Ameer Ismail
2007 George Selvie
2008 Phillip Hunt
2009 Von Miller
2010 Da'Quan Bowers
2011 Jarvis Jones

If you go look up the national leaders in sacks the last 12 years or so, there is a huge number of pro bowlers and future hall of famers. The ones you have not heard of were primarily from smaller schools that played an easier schedule.

Sponsored Link
pariah is offline Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
    Reply With Quote   #142
pariah
Contributing Member
pariah is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook View Post
National leader in sacks

2000 Julius Peppers --- 1st Round, Pick 2
2001 Dwight Freeney --- 1st Round, Pick 11
2002 Terrell Suggs
--- 1st Round, Pick 10
2003 Bo Shobel --- 4th Round
2004 Johnathan Goddard --- 6th Round
2005 Elvis Dumervil --- 4th Round
2006 Ameer Ismail --- undrafted
2007 George Selvie --- 7th round, "bridesmaid" to Dorin Dickerson, following pick
2008 Phillip Hunt --- undrafted
2009 Von Miller --- 1st Round, Pick 2
2010 Da'Quan Bowers --- 2nd Round
2011 Jarvis Jones
--- in college

If you go look up the national leaders in sacks the last 12 years or so, there is a huge number of pro bowlers and future hall of famers. The ones you have not heard of were primarily from smaller schools that played an easier schedule.
Put me in that group - Peppers, Freeney, Suggs and Von Miller. All led the nation in sacks, all had elite/sufficient enough measurables to follow that success with status of being chosen in the first round. On occassion, the sack lead is a product of the system, perhaps, which is why some of the sack leaders don't follow up with pro success. For instances where a sack leader followed with a first round selection, the results have been overwhelmingly positive.

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!" Mercilus, 2012

HollaIFyaHEMI is offline Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM
    Reply With Quote   #143
HollaIFyaHEMI
Contributing Member
HollaIFyaHEMI is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50058
Did anybody get this pick right on the Texans website? I have a steelers fan at work that entered the contest, he had us taking Mercilus. He also has us taking a TE in the 2nd. I would hate to see a Non-Texans fan win...

FLASH21 is offline Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
    Reply With Quote   #144
FLASH21
FLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsFLASH21 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #31877
Quote:
Originally Posted by moestavern19 View Post
Bruce Irvin would have been the better pick as far as potential, but apparently he was top 15 on several draft boards so that was never an option.

Mercilus is just an awesome name. Sick stats last year, hard to imagine him not at least being a great situational edge rusher.

Melvin Ingram sucks.
Reminds me of Mbenga with dreads....

Ha!

Every time I see James I get a little Harden.

bobmarley is offline Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
    Reply With Quote   #145
bobmarley
Contributing Member
bobmarley is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebobmarley is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebobmarley is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebobmarley is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebobmarley is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebobmarley is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebobmarley is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13144

1st loser 2011-2012 DonnyMost NFL Pick 'Em
Winner 2009 Clutchfan's Second Chance NFL Pick 'Em

Remix is offline Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM
    Reply With Quote   #146
Remix
Remix is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRemix is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13963
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaIFyaHEMI View Post
Seriously lol, what a joke. Best 2 pass rushers and the two finalist for DROY and he gave Von Miller a C and Aldon Smith a D.

Hack

Cannonball is offline Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM
    Reply With Quote   #147
Cannonball
Contributing Member
Cannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCannonball is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19677
Quote:
Originally Posted by body slam View Post
He may have been a one year wonder, but so was Mario Williams when he was drafted.
Not really. Mario had a breakout year, just like Mercilus, but he was a 3 year starter and had 50+ tackles each season. His sack numbers just jumped from 11 in his first 2 years to 14 in his 3rd. Mercilus wasn't a starter until this past year. Mercilus was a backup his first 2 years and really didn't do much.

Hey Now! is offline Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
    Reply With Quote   #148
Hey Now!
Contributing Member
Hey Now! is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHey Now! is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHey Now! is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHey Now! is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHey Now! is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHey Now! is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron413 View Post
guess we needed to replace some on DEF since we got cheap and let few contributors go in free agency
Is this honestly your perception of how their offseason went down? they were "cheap"? Really? That's what you think?

Mystifying.......

rocks_fan is offline Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM
    Reply With Quote   #149
rocks_fan
Rookie
rocks_fan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodrocks_fan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2002
Member: #3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Now! View Post
Is this honestly your perception of how their offseason went down? they were "cheap"? Really? That's what you think?

Mystifying.......
The idea of a hard salary cap is confusing for some people.

tmoney1101 is offline Old 04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
    Reply With Quote   #150
tmoney1101
Contributing Member
tmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardstmoney1101 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43078
Quote:
Originally Posted by QdoubleA View Post
i can do without seeing up the big girls skirt...
My phone froze on that part, I feel like I can smell it.

delishman is offline Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
    Reply With Quote   #151
delishman
delishman is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously gooddelishman is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45591
As a Steelers fan I very much agree with this sentiment. With that said, none of the guys listed (Maybe Chad Brown?) were a first round pick. You can get raw LBs and develop them pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFisher View Post
Steelers and other 3-4 teams do this all the time, you've got to have a guy ready to replace the OLBs all the time because eventually somebody's gonna get a sh-tload of sacks and demand a new contract.

Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Chad Brown, Jason Gildon, Clark Haggans, Joey Porter, Lamar Woodley, James Harrison...etc

got em COACH is offline Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
    Reply With Quote   #152
got em COACH
Contributing Member
got em COACH is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heregot em COACH is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heregot em COACH is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heregot em COACH is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heregot em COACH is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heregot em COACH is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heregot em COACH is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heregot em COACH is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Sep 2008
Member: #33663

Bandwagoner is online now Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
    Reply With Quote   #153
Bandwagoner
Contributing Member
Bandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2006
Member: #16417
Quote:

Mystifying.......
This is what is mystifying.

Quote:
Given their other, more pressing needs, I'd be shocked if they used one of their first 4 picks on an OLB

Your lack of knowledge and yet desire to scream the loudest.

couple of d's is offline Old 04-27-2012, 05:17 PM
    Reply With Quote   #154
couple of d's
couple of d's is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodcouple of d's is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14796
People should really stop b******* bout the pick. I trust Wade Phillips more than some
Local Internet nerd calling Rich Lord to vent. We still have six picks remaining tools

MourningWood is offline Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM
    Reply With Quote   #155
MourningWood
Contributing Member
MourningWood is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereMourningWood is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereMourningWood is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereMourningWood is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereMourningWood is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereMourningWood is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereMourningWood is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43687
Quote:
Originally Posted by got em COACH View Post
Beautiful.

thegary is offline Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 PM
    Reply With Quote   #156
thegary
Contributing Member
thegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herethegary is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6066
would his name be even more awesome if it was whitey mercilus?

br0ken_shad0w is offline Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 PM
    Reply With Quote   #157
br0ken_shad0w
br0ken_shad0w is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18145
For comparison, here's the reaction to J.J. Watt:
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=204074

rezdawg is offline Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 PM
    Reply With Quote   #158
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Member: #1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0ken_shad0w View Post
For comparison, here's the reaction to J.J. Watt:
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=204074
At the time of the draft, however, it was still assumed that Mario would play DE, not OLB...so drafting a DE seemed irrational. That was my thought process, at least...I thought we drafted Watt to rotate with Mario and Smith, which isnt what I wanted from a first rounder picked that high.

ubigred is offline Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM
    Reply With Quote   #159
ubigred
Contributing Member
ubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2005
Member: #16362
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_rocket View Post
Next year we play against great QBs, the texans pick Mercilus, a pass rusher.
A fact that many Texans fans have failed to realize :-(. 10-6

HollaIFyaHEMI is offline Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM
    Reply With Quote   #160
HollaIFyaHEMI
Contributing Member
HollaIFyaHEMI is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50058
Quote:
Originally Posted by got em COACH View Post
SWEET

Page 8 of 9