ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
DuBose: Rockets-Blazers: Behind the numbers

Go Back   ClutchFans > Sports > Football: NFL, College, High School

Should NFL incorporate a promotion/relegation system?
Tags:  championship, college, college football, draft, fight, football, nfl, playoffs, usa Tags
TheRealist137 is offline Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
TheRealist137
TheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchTheRealist137 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36197
I mean watching teams fight for their lives is really intense.

I think football is big enough in the USA to handle at least another professional league, we already have the UFL, I say expand the UFL to about 20 teams.

Here's my idea, shorten the NFL to 20 teams, 12 teams get downgraded to the UFL, basically there only needs to be 8 "new" expansion teams created, there are easily 8 cities that would love a pro football team.

LA
OKC
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Memphis
Austin
Toronto
Vancouver

That's 8 teams right there.

Each year, the top 3 teams from the UFL get promoted to the NFL, bottom three NFL teams get downgraded to UFL.

Here's how a draft order would be

1-17 = bottom UFL teams
18-20 = relegated 3 NFL teams
21-23 = promoted 3 UFL teams
24-40 = rest of the NFL by record

What do y'all think? This would be a lot more exciting imo. Think of how big football is in America, those UFL games will get sold out, college football games get sold out and get huge media coverage. UFL will easily get the same type of coverage.

Oh, and there will be 4 divisions in each league, consisting of 5 teams each.

The top 6 teams in each league get to the Playoffs (4 division champs, 2 wildcards).

For UFL purposes, once the final 4 has been reached, the two teams that advance play each other for the championship, but the 2 teams that lost have to play a single 3rd place game to determine who gets promoted, that might be more exciting than the first place game.

Sponsored Link
boomboom is offline Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
boomboom
Contributing Member
boomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemboomboom is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #781
I don't think this would work with the NFL. How do you explain to Bob McNair that his billion dollar toy has been demoted to the NFL Minors?

I could see this as an option with the NBA, though. Although the major issue with this type of team movement in any league would be an extremely small market team gets promoted and has no way of bringing in the money to maintain a major league payroll. I think a great deal of thought would need to go into the system and how it works and what teams/cities make up the minor league. I'm sure ABC/ESPN would hate to have to air playoff games of two extremely small markets.

I think this works well with soccer because it's always been this way (from studying the Argentinian soccer leagues). Interesting concept...but overall, I think it would be almost impossible to implement fairly and to be widely accepted by fans (no matter what American sports league we're talking about).

br0ken_shad0w is offline Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
br0ken_shad0w
br0ken_shad0w is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18145
I stopped reading this after "shorten the NFL to 20 teams". No owner, even cash-strapped ones like the Bucs, will want to give up or relegate their team.

SuperS32 is offline Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
SuperS32
SuperS32 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1667
This would make sense in leagues without salary caps, namely Major League Baseball. Teams at the bottom like the Astros would have something to play for over a 162 game season. But even in baseball, we've seen teams go from last to first when their prospects begin to grow up and have breakout years. Either way, it definitely doesn't make sense in the NFL.

Shroopy2 is offline Old 04-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Shroopy2
Contributing Member
Shroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10896
Looks like the old to new USFL is trying to make some noise again

Quote:
Revival

On April 1, 2012, it was announced by several news sources that the USFL would make a comeback as a "true NFL minor league" [6] with a Spring schedule, rather than be a competitor to the NFL. Former Chargers COO Jim Steeg is assisting the effort as an adviser. While originally thought to be an April Fool's joke, the creation of a new website for the league, http://www.theusfl.net/, confirms that it is not a joke. Jamie Cuadra, owner of EndZone Sports Management bought the rights and logo of the USFL from Michael Dwyer, but not any of the rights to team names or logos/[7] However, they do not discount the possibility of old owners returning to the league. They chose to acquire the rights as opposed to creating a new league due to the USFL's "brand equity" and "brief colorful history".

The new USFL aims to begin play in the Spring of 2013, with eight teams. Players would be originally distributed among the teams via drafts, and be paid $3000 - $3500 per game, far more than their competitor, the Arena Football League pays. The NFL will have "unfettered access" to the players, allowing them to leave whenever they want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ootball_League
Thats where it starts. Make a league that KISSES UP to the NFL and complements it, without being a direct threat.

Some holes in promotion/relegation approach

- There already is so much PARITY in the NFL, which is generally seen as GOOD parity, that NO ONE in the NFL will want to relegate themselves. The Buffalo Bills went the ENTIRE 2000s without a playoff appearance. The Detroit Lions havent won a playoff game since Milli Vanilli and had all the reason to just give up, yet even they wouldnt have relegated.

- If US football was big enough for another pro league, why haven't any pro leagues since the old USFL in the 80's been viable leagues? (Arena league only kinda counts)

- The NFL IS a bit of a trust. The World League/NFL Europe lasted as long as it did BECAUSE it was partly funded by the NFL as a subsidiary. All other direct competitors and alternatives get CRUSHED.

(Now we see why Al Davis and Bud Adams and the old AFL bunch gets lauded as renegades. Because they directly challenged the NFL and SUCCEEDED.)

- It would have an effect on college football as well. Maybe some Maurice Clarret type guys would successfully file suits to go into a farm system rather than go to school.

DieHard Rocket is offline Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
DieHard Rocket
Contributing Member
DieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDieHard Rocket is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Sep 2000
Member: #1882
Too radical for today's NFL. They are making so much money and fan interest is so high that it would make no sense to even risk it.

Plus, in football you don't really "groom" prospects like you do in baseball or perhaps basketball. They either have the talent to step in and help within a year or two or they don't.

BigBenito is offline Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
BigBenito
BigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBigBenito is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7020
Promotion/Relegation:
I think you would need to relegate (5-10?) teams to the lesser division to start the program so that the lesser division would already have fans on-board and the new teams added to the division would have more excitement, because it would be far more legitimate than some thrown-together league because of the known quantities.

I have no idea how drafts would work with these 2 leagues though.

fallenphoenix is offline Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
fallenphoenix
Contributing Member
fallenphoenix is James Harden -- racking up the pointsfallenphoenix is James Harden -- racking up the pointsfallenphoenix is James Harden -- racking up the pointsfallenphoenix is James Harden -- racking up the pointsfallenphoenix is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42673
i don't think there are enough terrible teams in the nfl. most teams have a good chance to win each week.

the nba on the other hand...

FrancisFan3 is offline Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
FrancisFan3
FrancisFan3 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2413
I think this idea will stop or put an end to teams tanking games to get a #1 pick in the draft. The #1 overall draft pick will belong to the team that gets promoted to the NFL.

SF- Gerald Wallace/ Josh Smith
PF-Amare Stoudemire/ JJ Hickson
C-Demarcus Cousins/ Robin Lopez

Shroopy2 is offline Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Shroopy2
Contributing Member
Shroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShroopy2 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10896
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard Rocket View Post
Too radical for today's NFL. They are making so much money and fan interest is so high that it would make no sense to even risk it.

Plus, in football you don't really "groom" prospects like you do in baseball or perhaps basketball. They either have the talent to step in and help within a year or two or they don't.
NFL careers are very short as well, even for contributors. Fred Bennett started several games for the Texans. 3 years later he's out the league. Always another prospect in the wings.

Can see that as competition being so tight that QUALITY players get snubbed from a real chance, so there's plently quality football left for another league.

Or with more relegated teams, would be a continuation of your favorite college players who can't hack it, but still following them in the dream of a pro career. Maybe Case Keenum can lead a relegated team but not a promoted teamd.

In a perfect world, I think its a bit of both of those and it COULD work if EVERYTHING aligned right. All the other non-NFL leagues would have to converge together. It'd be like graduated extended SEC football with legal pay.

In the REAL world, things like the CFL eating up leftover talent gets in the way, and neither CFL or NFL are gonna borrow or lend their teams for that kind of system.

v3.0 is offline Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
v3.0
Contributing Member
v3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jan 2005
Member: #16081
No current NFL owner would ever agree to this. They want to make money and what NFL fan would pay top dollar for perceived minor league play?

rocketsflow is offline Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
rocketsflow
rocketsflow is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50793
Not a chance owners or fans allow a demotion.

AFS is offline Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
AFS
AFS is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineAFS is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineAFS is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47830
It'd be fun to watch, but wouldn't be good for business, so wouldn't happen.

Kam is offline Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Kam
Contributing Member
Kam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemKam is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2002
Member: #3419
Franchises. Owners paid lots of money to be in the league. At least Bob McNair did.

I'd do this in College Football.

‹^›ςΏσ‹^›

plutoblue11 is offline Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
plutoblue11
plutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsplutoblue11 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 2006
Member: #19851
I thought most NFL teams made a profit to begin with, except the Lions. These numbers were before last season. So, I'm sure there revenue has gone a bit. I hate the idea of a 20 team league in any league at this point. Why are they so many fewer teams.

Well, @guardian it makes for a nice change...at least I didn't wake up to the internet telling me I was dead again.

— Patrick Stewart (@SirPatStew) February 18, 2014