Drinking water with food
Tags:  drinking, food, schedule Tags
vaioavan63 is offline Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #41
vaioavan63
Contributing Member
vaioavan63 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2003
Member: #14578
Usually, during the week, because of work, I eat dinner around 9pm and after Im done eating I chug a glass of water to wash it down. Then I go to bed at 10. It never occurred to me that that would be bad what's the danger in that? Am I supposed to get fat? Diabetes? Anything I should worry about?
What's this fancy enzyme, digestive process talk? Gringos worry too much.

Sponsored Link
LCII is offline Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #42
LCII
Contributing Member
LCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20646
This is pretty bull****. A glass of water with a meal isnt gonna dilute your stomach acids.

Azadre is offline Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #43
Azadre
Contributing Member
Azadre is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAzadre is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAzadre is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAzadre is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAzadre is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAzadre is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCII View Post
This is pretty bull****. A glass of water with a meal isnt gonna dilute your stomach acids.
Some people are willing to believe anything they read on the internet. Most internet users have not received enough education in basic science, so they have difficulties discerning fact from fiction. This is similar to the fact I am always getting ripped off by my mechanic. Those without knowledge in a field are lousy at understanding what they're being told.

pmac is offline Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #44
pmac
Contributing Member
pmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadre View Post
Some people are willing to believe anything they read on the internet. Most internet users have not received enough education in basic science, so they have difficulties discerning fact from fiction. This is similar to the fact I am always getting ripped off by my mechanic. Those without knowledge in a field are lousy at understanding what they're being told.
well, at least someone has common sense.

napalm_black is offline Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #45
napalm_black
Contributing Member
napalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Sep 2008
Member: #33900
Quote:
Without sufficient knowledge in having knowledge, I'm willing to believe this post.

Shaud is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #46
Shaud
Shaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereShaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30631
I have learned that everything in this world is bad for you.

My twitter

LonghornFan is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #47
LonghornFan
Contributing Member
LonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsLonghornFan is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7178
I'm addicted to Mio. I was hoping to evacuate to Katy for the energy ones I can't find inside the loop.

napalm_black is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #48
napalm_black
Contributing Member
napalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchnapalm_black is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Sep 2008
Member: #33900

mylilpony is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #49
mylilpony
mylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the pointsmylilpony is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34025
Quote:
i had some guy try to sell me on some magnet mattress because it helps your ions out.

smoove shoez is offline Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #50
smoove shoez
smoove shoez is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesmoove shoez is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesmoove shoez is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19420
Red solo cup , I fill you up.

Acedude is offline Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #51
Acedude
Contributing Member
Acedude is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodAcedude is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25715
I've always drunk a ****load of water while eating meals. I remember asking my HS AP Biology teacher way back when about the effect of water and digestion, with the possibility of dilution of enzymes/acids, she pretty much dismissed it on the spot and said water actually helps the process of hydrolysis.

-2c

BrieflySpeaking is offline Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #52
BrieflySpeaking
Contributing Member
BrieflySpeaking is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBrieflySpeaking is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBrieflySpeaking is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBrieflySpeaking is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBrieflySpeaking is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2003
Member: #13622
I just drank milk with cereal....

Mathloom is offline Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #53
Mathloom
Contributing Member
Mathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Member: #33940
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6 View Post
I'm not saying i agree with waiting to drink water, but youre saying it's wrong because of those basics you listed, which you are assuming are natural or proven guidelines, but they aren't. Someone else could easily say its 3,4 or 6 meals a day and would be no more right or wrong than you are. Same goes for not eating X hours before sleeping.
I previously found that there is significantly more research to suggest 5 is optimal based on regular diet and sleep, rather than 3, 4 or 6.

For sleep, that's why I said between 1 and 4. It's the principle: your body is less active and so you don't need as much food. This doesn't stop me from drinking a light caseine + water shake every night before I sleep. I get the point, some people will need less, and some more, but no one needs high calorie foods during periods of inactivity unless recovering.

But with water, there seems to be no middle ground and it's driving me mad. I love diet soda but quit sweetners (Except Stevia or xylitol, but they're not cheap or widely available here).

Since last year (and for the next 2 years) I've basically decided to do trial and error on my body for all the most significant stuff we consume. After looking at bodybuilding.com long enough, I figured that there are really very few definitive answers in nutrition and exercise, a lot of myths, and most importantly - each body is far more unique than I ever though possible. So trial and error is important to my long-term health IMO.

But I need something to drink man. I've cut out all fruit juice (unless I need it in controlled quantity and super fresh), diet and regular sodas, coffee, and pretty much anything which has refined sugar or HFCS. I've decided that I can't manage beverages higher than 100-200 calorie range.

(Pargraph makes reference to how well I poop)

On top of that, I can't have breakfast today, and I'm usually roraing for a good breakfast since I work out mid day.

Thanks for all links and advice btw, I am reading anything and everything. For those who seem to have in depth knowledge, would really appreciate any more information you could share.

You may not think this is a big deal, but I assure you some people will suffer/benefit tremendously from the advice in this thread. I have a friend who cut his time on the pot from 35 minutes to 15 minutes by controlling the timing of drinking water. His digestive system is not great, and this helps him a lot.

As for me, I'm just trying to know what is optimum and use it as a guide. Even if you don't stick to this manic water drinking schedule (which I don't envisage myself doing long term either), at least you know which direction you should be thinking. It's something we should do 8 times a day, wouldn't hurt us to learn a bit more about it.

Mathloom is offline Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #54
Mathloom
Contributing Member
Mathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchMathloom is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieflySpeaking View Post
I just drank milk with cereal....
Try with some juice or with a yoghurt drink. Delicious.

RV6 is online now Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #55
RV6
Contributing Member
RV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRV6 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33459
Quote:
Unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation, in the science field, that is given out by those who are suppose to be informed. One may not know enough to say who is wrong, but if you have two professionals with different or opposite viewpoints, then common sense tells you at least one of them is. That's why you have people like Mathloom, who try to figure it out on their own.

Burko is offline Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #56
Burko
Burko is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47952
If this were true then how comes McDonalds sell drinks with their meals?

They are the epitome of healthy eating, surely they would be pioneering this.

Mathloom is offline Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #57
Mathloom
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6 View Post
Unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation, in the science field, that is given out by those who are suppose to be informed. One may not know enough to say who is wrong, but if you have two professionals with different or opposite viewpoints, then common sense tells you at least one of them is. That's why you have people like Mathloom, who try to figure it out on their own.
I would love for there to be one trusted source about these questions, is there one you that is all-trustworthy?

While some responsibility should be put on people to improve their scientific knowledge, it is equally (if not more) pragmatic and realistic for the science industry to also work towards bridging the communication gap between science geek and regular person.

This type of question I'm asking, I would've expected a clear unanimous answer. I thought I was the idiot for now knowing. Turns out no one is 100% sure, except as you said the proffessionals who themselves can't seem to agree.

bullardfan is offline Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #58
bullardfan
Contributing Member
bullardfan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebullardfan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebullardfan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathloom View Post
I would love for there to be one trusted source about these questions, is there one you that is all-trustworthy?

While some responsibility should be put on people to improve their scientific knowledge, it is equally (if not more) pragmatic and realistic for the science industry to also work towards bridging the communication gap between science geek and regular person.

This type of question I'm asking, I would've expected a clear unanimous answer. I thought I was the idiot for now knowing. Turns out no one is 100% sure, except as you said the proffessionals who themselves can't seem to agree.
Ask your doctor instead of a bunch of people on a basketball forum.
There was a doctor at my church who told my mom that water isnt good for digestion when drunk with a meal. i however drink about 2-3 cups of water during my meal. depends on how thirsty i am.

i would think chew well and your stomach doesnt have to work as hard.
btw, the doctor who told my mom this also told me that it really doesnt make that much of a difference for me but my mom was having digestive problems and so it might help her.

Mathloom is offline Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #59
Mathloom
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullardfan View Post
Ask your doctor instead of a bunch of people on a basketball forum.
There was a doctor at my church who told my mom that water isnt good for digestion when drunk with a meal. i however drink about 2-3 cups of water during my meal. depends on how thirsty i am.

i would think chew well and your stomach doesnt have to work as hard.
btw, the doctor who told my mom this also told me that it really doesnt make that much of a difference for me but my mom was having digestive problems and so it might help her.
But that doesn't make sense. What if I go to 10 doctors, and the opinions are split 5-5? There's a reason why it's called doctor's advice/opinion, it's not final.

On top of that, chances that a doctor in Dubai (where there is zero medical research going on) getting the answer right is IMO slim to none. We have two types of doctors here: the money lovers and the antiques. I doubt a real doctor would set up shop in Dubai.

One doctor's answer won't solve the question. Best to listen to everything I think and then it becomes easier to discern credible sources from non-credible ones.

AroundTheWorld is offline Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #60
AroundTheWorld
Contributing Member
AroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldAroundTheWorld is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2000
Member: #1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathloom View Post
On top of that, chances that a doctor in Dubai (where there is zero medical research going on) getting the answer right is IMO slim to none. We have two types of doctors here: the money lovers and the antiques. I doubt a real doctor would set up shop in Dubai.
You could always go to Germany for medical help. But don't forget to "scream at the top of your lungs about Germany" while you do so.

comment removed

OCCUPY UNSORTED!
KEEP UNSORTED ALIVE!