ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Rockets-Blazers Series Preview with Adam Wexler

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Poll: What option best classifies your position on the playoffs vs keeping our pick
Poll Options
What option best classifies your position on the playoffs vs keeping our pick

What Kind of Rocket Fan are you concerning making the Playoffs.
Tags:  basketball, championship, houston rockets, nba, playoffs Tags
CCorn is offline Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #21
CCorn
Contributing Member
CCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemCCorn is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2010
Member: #47978
We need to make the playoffs, if we were going to tank we should have started that 50 games ago.

Occupy Unsorted

Sponsored Link
Plowman is offline Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
Plowman
Contributing Member
Plowman is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPlowman is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPlowman is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPlowman is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjohn View Post
Miss the playoffs, douse Alexander with a tub of ice water.

Morey (hopefully) gets the leverage to demonstrate to Alexander that the no-rebuilding plan isn't going to work and they need to clear out the roster and build from scratch.

Morey gets two picks to try and find the home run player in the 12-22 range (there's almost always one in there).

Otherwise, we make the playoffs, get bounced in short order...and Alexander continues to think that we're on the right track.

There's no hope for the current roster - it's not that we aren't going to win it all this year...it's that this roster will never sniff contender status. We've got a truckload of strong role players and 2nd tier options...but that's not going to get us anywhere. Look at the list of NBA champions and find the winner without at least one All-NBA type. I don't know that you'd find one among the Conference Finalists.

Euthanize this era. Please.
Thank you.

Dubious is offline Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #23
Dubious
Contributing Member
Dubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDubious is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2674
Playoff series are so much fun.
This seems to be a really good year to have two draft picks.

Win/win

Old Man Rock is offline Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
Old Man Rock
Contributing Member
Old Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchOld Man Rock is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burko View Post
So you're saying that we lose on purpose, draft a star under duress and then trade him when he's unhappy....

If we can't get a star in FA, then how do you expect to hold onto a star acquired through the draft?
Actually the new CBA makes it pretty hard for a player to leave their team without losing a lot of money. Plus once players get here they usually like it and want to stay. But it's certainly not most's first choice.

After the Bosh experience, Morey's new strategy to get a star is to trade for him and hold him hostage. He tried to trade for Melo that way and most recently Dwight Howard. Morey seems to believe they can apease a star once he gets here and is willing to bet they will like the city and team enough that they won't walk away from Millions of dollars. It hasn't been tested yet but it might work. Orlando certainly doesn't want to get burned. But you have to wonder if we have enough assets to meet their requests. The problem is teams like NJ also figured out Morey's concept and our betting that their superstars will also not walk away from the money. Which makes for very little stars to go around. Still we may only need one. Let's see what happens.

jayhow92 is offline Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #25
jayhow92
jayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Rock View Post
Know one is saying lose on purpose. Portland is trying hard to win every game. New Orleans has won 5 out of 6. Why do people keep spewing out this nonsense. The question is simple. And the point of the question is to show while not a majority a considerable percentage of Rocket's fans, many who consider themselves very loyal, prefer to keep the pick. I personally wish we could make the playoffs and keep our pick. But since Morey traded it away for TWill that is not possible.

I am not even rooting for us to lose. When I watch the games I do not want the Rockets to lose. I do not cheer for them to play poorly. I hate it. And I love it when I see Dragic making great plays and Parsons playing great D I love it. I was part of the fans that saw a renewed team make a miracle comeback against OKC in Oklahoma. That saw Camby play with one arm better than any center since Yao. That saw us kick butt on the road and come close to giving us a 96% chance to make playoffs.

I was rooting for that team to make the playoffs. But that team died in these last 4 games and now at best we may hobble into the playoffs again. I don't want to hobble in again I am sick of being mediocre and I am not talking about trying to lose. That is ridiculous.

I am talking about doing like Portland. They got rid of everyone that was not part of their future and started trying to win with what was. They are not good but they give it all every game and now have cap space probably 2 decent lottery picks and 2 high second round picks and a promising future.

I want that for our Rockets. I don't want to just make the playoffs just to get humiliated in the first round. I want to go in with a dangerous team that people do not want to face. I want home court again one year in the not so distant future.

So I want us to take our medicine now. It's like when my daughter was little she hated cold medicine. Even cherry kid stuff. She would cry and cry when I gave it to her. ANd I hated giving it to her but I did. I did because I loved her and I wanted her to get better. I want this Rocket team to get better so I prefer we take our medicine now. I know some on her do not think we our sick and others disagree what that medicine should be. ANd I respect that but don't bash me because I think differently.

If we can turn this ship around and this team shows me something that makes me believe we can win in the playoffs I will cheer them on. And even if they don't and we just crawl in I still will be cheering them on. I just want this team to do something this summer.

Oh and although I am not advocating for it now for those who think no decent coach has ever deliberately tried to lose. Try JVG and Popovich for starters. Yes JVG deliberately tried to lose against George Karl and Denver Nuggets in one of the most pathetic games I have ever witnessed. Bogan was in there firing 3's at will. Juwan howard had one of his best games as a Rocket and then JVG removed him for Ryan Bowen and Bogans. We tried our best to lose but we didn't because Karl tried even harder and ran a play for Camby and KMart to shoot threes. We lost Brandon Roy in the draft.

As for Popovich he preceded to lose 34 of his last 37 games and deliberately did not bring Robinson back that year even though it was clear he was ready. They got Duncan and the rest is history. There have been many others who have done that shutting down players at the end of the season insuring they are less likely to win, Playing rookies to develop them. And I am not even advocating that just don't act like good coaches never do it. They do. That being said if we make the playoffs good.. if we don't better.
That is the answer! Play our guys we want for the future and trying and get rid of all who aren't in it and keep giving our all while trying to improve the team for the future.

RocketRaccoon is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
RocketRaccoon
Contributing Member
RocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the pointsRocketRaccoon is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #3049
do whatever it takes to win, now and in the future...w/o tanking (aka, losing on purpose)

Improvisation is the ability to talk to oneself. -Cecil Taylor

intergalactic is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #27
intergalactic
Contributing Member
intergalactic is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5385
If we finish out of the playoffs in the 14 slot, our total probability of ending up in one of the top 3 spots is 1.8%. If we make the playoffs we will prob be the 8 seed.

Since 1980, the only 8 seeds I can remember beating the #1 seed have been the 80-81 Rockets over the Lakers, the 90s Nuggets over Seattle, the JVG Knicks over the Heat, and the Warriors over the Mavs. So that's 4 wins in 62 playoff series ~ 7%.

It's a better chance to win a series, but I think I'd be >4x happier with a top 3 pick than with a playoff upset. Tough call, though.

REEKO_HTOWN is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #28
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32179
Obviously the kind that likes to get ****ed. Rockets have been ****ing me for the last 3 seasons.

HollaIFyaHEMI is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
HollaIFyaHEMI
Contributing Member
HollaIFyaHEMI is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50058
Why do people constantly bump 1 star threads?

....Bump

jayhow92 is offline Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
jayhow92
jayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsjayhow92 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48093
Quote:
Originally Posted by intergalactic View Post
If we finish out of the playoffs in the 14 slot, our total probability of ending up in one of the top 3 spots is 1.8%. If we make the playoffs we will prob be the 8 seed.

Since 1980, the only 8 seeds I can remember beating the #1 seed have been the 80-81 Rockets over the Lakers, the 90s Nuggets over Seattle, the JVG Knicks over the Heat, and the Warriors over the Mavs. So that's 4 wins in 62 playoff series ~ 7%.

It's a better chance to win a series, but I think I'd be >4x happier with a top 3 pick than with a playoff upset. Tough call, though.
Grizz over Spurs was also an 8 seed upset.

aeolus13 is offline Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #31
aeolus13
Contributing Member
aeolus13 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineaeolus13 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2009
Member: #43964
At the start of the season, I said that the best thing the Rockets could do was blow the team up, OKC-style. Sell every vet for future picks, play the young guys 40 minutes a game, and plan on spending 3-4 years as one of the worst teams in the league while we draft high and acquire some franchise-level talents and Parsons-esque role players to surround them with. Then contend once that solid foundation is established. I still believe that is best, and that's what I will advocate that the Rockets do after this season.

However, at this point in the season it's just not worth it to tank. We're better off making the playoffs, getting our young guys some experience in a 7-game situation, earning extra cash to invest in our organization, and discharging our pick obligation to NJ so we have more trade flexibility in years to come. It may also help Les negotiate his new TV deal on more favorable terms. There's just very little to gain from another 14th pick.

"Not only is Petrie far dumber and lazier than Morey, but he doesn't even know this. There's no reason you keep trading your pudding cup for carrot sticks to the same boy, every day at lunch." -Some sad Kings fan.

Pieman2005 is offline Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
Pieman2005
Pieman2005 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPieman2005 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPieman2005 is Omer Asik -- working the boardsPieman2005 is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwame View Post
My position the whole season has been that the Rockets' are a mediocre team and would either just miss out on the playoffs or be eliminated in the 1st round. Delusional homers will always question your fanhood when you smack them in the face with the truth.
Yep. If you don't think Rockets are contenders when they're on a 3 game winning streak you're not a real fan

sergio is offline Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
sergio
sergio is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2009
Member: #43569
We have enough scrubs on this team as is. Make the playoffs and stop trying to develope scrubs into stars (pat). This franshise needs to attract top free agents by showing its a playoff team.

CantBeRight is offline Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #34
CantBeRight
CantBeRight is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2012
Member: #50494
If you're on CF then ur a great fan...

Dei is offline Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #35
Dei
Dei is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDei is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDei is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDei is James Harden -- racking up the pointsDei is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19029
Playoffs. Gogi got me emotionally invested.

UTAllTheWay is offline Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
UTAllTheWay
UTAllTheWay is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineUTAllTheWay is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineUTAllTheWay is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36546
I enjoy watching my favorite team win.

So yeah, I want them to make the playoffs.

RedNation is offline Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #37
RedNation
Contributing Member
RedNation is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRedNation is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRedNation is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRedNation is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRedNation is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneRedNation is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2010
Member: #46407
I'd rather win. Remember when the stros made the world series. Now do you even know 5 players on the roster?

freddyg956 is offline Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #38
freddyg956
freddyg956 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43631
I will quote a great and current coach "All teams are 0-0 when the playoffs begin" -Doc Rivers-
So of course I want them to make the playoffs, hey you never know, you just never know. 0-0 all teams.

freddyg956 is offline Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #39
freddyg956
freddyg956 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2009
Member: #43631
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNation View Post
I'd rather win. Remember when the stros made the world series. Now do you even know 5 players on the roster?
Brad lidge, Andy pettite, Roger Clemens, Lance Berkman, Craig Biggio
and no i didn't look it up, but that was one year i was glued to the tv watching them play throughout the playoffs, oh and Carlos Beltran was a big part of it.

ThatBoyNick is offline Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #40
ThatBoyNick
ThatBoyNick is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineThatBoyNick is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #49886
well i am a poor man, and a big rockets fan. So does that make me a poor rockets fan?