ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract
DonnyMost is offline Old 04-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
DonnyMost
Contributing Member
DonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 2003
Member: #12152
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Baqui is right that a dominant defense and running game can be ideal, but Air Langhi's point is very valid that those teams (save Baltimore) usually aren't as consistent from year to year as the QB-led teams. Look at the elite QBs in today's NFL - Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton (when healthy). You can basically pencil those teams into the playoffs every year, and rarely will you be wrong. On the other hand, give it another couple years, and the Niners will likely fall off the pace a bit in the defense/run game formula. There will be a new "it" team or two in that category.
If you look back over the last 10-12 years, you can see a notable difference in the number of elite teams that relied on a running game and (yardage) defense versus a passing game and a defense that was mainly focused on creating turnovers.

The days of Trent Dilfers and baby Rothelisbergers winning Superbowls are gone, IMO. The majority of the successful teams in the NFL are driven by a really good QB and passing attack. Not saying it's a good thing, not saying it's a bad thing. That's just how it is now thanks to the rules changes we've seen.

Like I said, a good defense will never go out of style (although what constitutes "good" may change), but its relative importance has slipped recently (in addition to special teams), and a running game has become all but completely optional.

Sponsored Link
The Cat is offline Old 04-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
The Cat
Contributing Member
The Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMost View Post
If you look back over the last 10-12 years, you can see a notable difference in the number of elite teams that relied on a running game and (yardage) defense versus a passing game and a defense that was mainly focused on creating turnovers.

The days of Trent Dilfers and baby Rothelisbergers winning Superbowls are gone, IMO. The majority of the successful teams in the NFL are driven by a really good QB and passing attack. Not saying it's a good thing, not saying it's a bad thing. That's just how it is now thanks to the rules changes we've seen.

Like I said, a good defense will never go out of style (although what constitutes "good" may change), but its relative importance has slipped recently (in addition to special teams), and a running game has become all but completely optional.
Eh, I wouldn't say they're completely gone. We were a couple of random bounces/luck plays from Flacco and Alex Smith squaring off in the Super Bowl. Likewise, a great running game can help immensely, and I'll bet one of those style teams wins a Super Bowl in the next few years.

It's just, as you implied, that's not the formula most teams are going with. If you find that really good QB and passing attack, you're set as a contender for the next decade, in most instances. On the other hand, if you have a mediocre QB and try to win with your running game and defense, you're going to be exposed to a lot more volatility... which is why most franchises aren't doing it and continue to roll the dice on anything that can even remotely be perceived as a franchise QB.

Definitely an interesting debate. I think Baqui is right philosophically, if you look at it from an individual game standpoint... but I don't think that's the right way to build your team.

(PS: I really think the Texans are the franchise that has the best of both worlds. That is, a commitment to defense and the running game while also having legitimate talent at the passing game skill positions to fall back on. Hoping that pays off in about nine months...)

Brutal is offline Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #23
Brutal
Brutal is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50685
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMost View Post
Tim Turbo and Alex Smith won championships?
No but they took their teams to the Championship games. So two of the last four standing had Tebow and Smith behind the helm.

Brutal is offline Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #24
Brutal
Brutal is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50685
Football at all levels will always be about winning the turnover battle, putting pressure on the QB, you can run/stuff the run. That is the winning formula and always will be.

ubigred is offline Old 04-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
ubigred
Contributing Member
ubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2005
Member: #16362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal View Post
All Alex Smith has to do is manage the game, with that monster D he doesn't have to be great, just don't blow it.

Superbowl bound!
I agree.

However, this time around Alex Smith will have to do slightly more to get back to the NFC and WIN!

It's still defense first and running the ball. However, for the team to go to the next level he has to do a little more AND keeping the turnovers down.

NFC Championship
*Packers vs 49ers

*only team that CAN stand in their way is the Eagles because pass rushing and cb play. Furthermore, the Packers can not run the ball and expose the weakness of the Eagles.

The Cat is offline Old 04-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
The Cat
Contributing Member
The Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1090
Quote:
No but they took their teams to the Championship games. So two of the last four standing had Tebow and Smith behind the helm.

Tim Tebow was not in the AFC championship game.

ItsMyFault is offline Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
ItsMyFault
Contributing Member
ItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36216
Texans have a better chance of winning it all than the 49ers.

david_rocket is offline Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #28
david_rocket
david_rocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavid_rocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavid_rocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavid_rocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavid_rocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedavid_rocket is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #14005
I think the 49ers can get 12 wins, and could be on the top 3 of the NFC.

GO TEXANS!!!

Fyreball is online now Old 04-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #29
Fyreball
Contributing Member
Fyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchFyreball is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #39843
Quote:
Huh?? The AFC Championship game was Baltimore vs New England.

Nice Rollin is online now Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
Nice Rollin
Contributing Member
Nice Rollin is Omer Asik -- working the boardsNice Rollin is Omer Asik -- working the boardsNice Rollin is Omer Asik -- working the boardsNice Rollin is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #17539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
Texans have a better chance of winning it all than the 49ers.
not sure if serious

ItsMyFault is offline Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #31
ItsMyFault
Contributing Member
ItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemItsMyFault is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2009
Member: #36216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Rollin View Post
not sure if serious
I'm serious.

The 49ers play in a packed NFC.

The Texans play in an easier AFC.

ubigred is offline Old 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
ubigred
Contributing Member
ubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineubigred is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Nov 2005
Member: #16362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
I'm serious.

The 49ers play in a packed NFC.

The Texans play in an easier AFC.
Patriots
Ravens
Steelers
Chargers (Will the real Rivers please stand up)

Broncos (Manning)
Bengals (2 first round draft picks)
Jets (wild card)
Bills (emerging defense)

DonnyMost is offline Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #33
DonnyMost
Contributing Member
DonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDonnyMost is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: May 2003
Member: #12152
Boy, when you put it like that, the AFC looks really crappy compared to the NFC.

conquistador#11 is online now Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #34
conquistador#11
conquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18869
all these teams people have listed, all they have to do is no screw up on special teams and they're super bowl bound!

the league wants to rid kickoff returns all together since the new rule reduced concussions by 40%. If they got rid of punt returns and field goals, that would prevent screw ups on special teams. water is liquidy. Skies are bluish.