1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[April 1st] Nike takes over for Reebok as NFL Jersey Company

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ivenovember, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

April 1st is the official date that Nike will take over for all clothing for the NFL. April 3rd is the date of the release of the new uniforms for all the teams, Texans included, obviously.

This is the uniform design that was floating around last year. I'm sure the Texans will have significant changes but I doubt this will be the uniform that is unveiled next week. THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL NEW DESIGN:
    [​IMG]

What do you guys want to see (or not see) for our uniforms?
    I just hope there is a battle red uniform again but I would be shocked if there isn't one.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm worried they're gonna screw it up, but I'm going into it with an open mind.

3. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I heard on 610 that NIKE was trying to go after Reebok bc Reebok is apparently putting out a lot of Tebow and Manning jerseys before April 1st to boost sales. Hopefully the new nike's are awesome

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

This is the only actual picture of a uniform that's been leaked. This is Miami's alternate uniform:
    [​IMG]

For what that little sneak peak is worth.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Nike usually does a whole lot better job than Reebok, as far as designing unis go.

I like the sleeves as the Texas flag, pretty sweet.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Nike can't radically redesign the uniform styles - that's up to each team. Those designs were fanboy art.

I'll be interested to see what they unveil Tuesday - Nike could improve the material and cut.

7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

This. I think it will be more along the lines of improvements in actual game-wear. Maybe a few tweaks in design but overall it'll probably stay the same.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't see much changing. It's the teams that determine their unis, not sporting goods companies.

That said, Nike has designed some hideous **** at the college level over the years.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, no way the individual teams (nor the NFL for that matter) will allow Nike to come in with sweeping changes. I'm guessing they will alter the cuts a little bit, and use a different material. You might see more in the way of alternate jerseys, but nothing groundbreaking.

And as someone pointed out earlier, the picture you attached is just an artist's rendering of what he envisions future uniforms to be. Basically just fanboy stuff. Nothing affiliated with any company.

10. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

That wasn't "fanboy". That was Nike just releasing mock ups of what they could possibly do.

The team approves the designs but the company still has a lot to do with making the design. I go to TCU and all the Pro-Combat and special uniforms we have gotten over the past few years have been designed by Nike and approved by Coach Patterson. If the Texans want, they can get really creative with what they allow Nike to do with the uniforms. The good part about not having any history is that people don't get as mad when you change stuff.
    On an alternate or red uniform i'd like to see a oil rig logo like the Oilers. Not sure about the legality since the Oilers colors and rights belong to the Titans, but still.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

too cowboys.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Cause of the star?

I mean it doesn't have to worn by everyone on the team, in fact I don't think many of our players wear arm sleeves. But again its just a concept and if someone higher up things the same as you it will not get approved.

I like it... and I despise the cowgirls.

13. Hightop

Hightop Member

Just make it the state of Texas instead.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind if the Texans let Nike have some freedom, and let Nike do some variations on their uniforms throughout the season. The simple color scheme and logo would keep them from doing anything crazy like Oregon or Maryland, but some originality would be fun. I really like what Nike has done with Oklahoma State's uniforms, for example.

15. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I wish we revamped our unis a little bit.. I read somewhere that the Seahawks are looking to have the feather design (like Oregon) on their new uniforms. Ill post a link if I find it.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

A Nike representative came out and said those weren't real. I can't find the link now, but I remember an article being written about it either in the Baltimore Sun or Chicago Tribune.

17. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

That would be bad a. LOVE that idea

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

gawd, nike taking over the world?

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

yep Im worried too, I hope they dont change it a lot.

20. today

today Contributing Member

Love Nike stuff, hate Reebok stuff. I welcome the change!