After posting what turned out to be the obsolete (thanks Bima & rpr!
) Future Draft Pick thread
I got to thinking...Morey has done a great job acquiring future picks, how has he done acquiring players through trade?
I tried to make a list of all of the trades we have made since Morey arrived (May of 2007 I believe). What I'd like to do is break each one down, first to see if I included all of the pieces of the trade (quite often there is a TE, cash or a protected future pick we are not aware of), and second to hear an explanation of what you think of the trade. I think it would fun if different people broke down each trade, or any others I missed (full credit given). Anybody want to volunteer?
If we don't get enough volunteers, I suppose this can just be looked at as a list of Morey's trades. If I missed any trades (highly likely) or any are incorrect that you are aware of, please post them and I'll update the list, giving you full credit. Or you could volunteer to break down the trade and put in there.
1) Aaron Brooks for Goran Dragic & a 1st round pick
2) Shane Battier, Ish Smith & Ariza 6.32m TE for Hasheem Thabeet, DeMarre Carroll, 1st round pick, 7.35m TE, Ish TE (not sure on the value)
3) Tracy McGrady, Carl Landry, Joey Dorsey & Cash for Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill, Hilton Armstrong, Jared Jeffries, right to swap picks in 2011, 2012 1st round pick, $881k TE
4) Jermaine Taylor, 1st round pick, draft rights to Sergei Lishouk & Cash for Terrence Williams, 2nd round pick (not likely to get it), $780,871 TE
5) Trevor Ariza & part of the Carl Landry TE for Courtney Lee & $6.32m TE
6a) Nicolas Batum for Darrell Arthur & Joey Dorsey
6b) Darrell Arthur for Donte Green & 2nd round pick
8) 2nd round pick & Cash for David Andersen
9) Future 2nd & Cash for Carl Landry
10) Cash for Brad Newley
11) Rafer Alston for Kyle Lowry & Brian Cook
12) Donte Green, Bobby Jackson, 2009 1st round pick & Cash for Ron Artest, Patrick Ewing Jr. & Sean Singletary
13) Bonzi Wells, Mike James, Kirk Snyder, 2nd round pick(?) & Cash for Bobby Jackson, Gerald Green, 2nd round pick(?) & rights to Marcus Vinicius
14) Vassilis Spanoulis, 2nd round pick & Cash for Luis Scola & Jackie Butler
15) Cash for 2nd round pick (Jermaine Taylor)
16) Cash for 2nd round pick (Sergio Llull)
17) Juwan Howard for Mike James & Justin Reed
18) David Andersen & Cash for 2nd round pick (not likely to get it) & 2.5m TE
19) Steve Francis, 2nd round pick & Cash for 2nd round pick (not likely to get it)
20) 2nd round pick for Chase Budinger
Trades I believe Morey won:
#1, #2, #3, #5, #7, #9, #11, #12 (at the time it was a good trade), #13, #14, #17 & #20
12 out of 20, and could possibly increase, 60%. The best part is how he totally killed the teams in trades #3, #5, #9, #11, #14 & #20
Trades I believe Morey lost:
#4 (thus far at least, could change), #6, #8, #15, #16 (could also change), #18
Overall we've made some good and great trades, and very few bad ones. I'd like to hear your take on this. I know it would be a lot to ask one person to break down each one, that's why I thought it may be fun, and something different, if people volunteered to break down a single one.
Breakdown of Trade #1, Aaron Brooks
I think this was a great trade and a steal. With Lowry emerging as the obvious starter, it was obvious Brooks was going to lose minutes. He was unhappy, and playing well under his abilities. To top all of this off, he was due a new contract this offseason, and there was no way we were going to offer him what someone else was likely to offer. I'm glad we got something for him. Getting Dragic, who is a servicable backup, was pretty much a lateral move in my opinion, based on what Brooks was giving us. Dragic is also signed at a reasonable contract, which could be very valuable in helping us sign some free agents. The thing that pushed the trade in our favor (by quite a bit I may add) was the 1st round pick we received. I'd give this trade an A. The only reason I didn't give it an A+ is because we all know what Brooks can do, and that could really come in handy if we goes back to that and turns into his former self.