1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts of a Trade Weary Fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedDragon01, Feb 3, 2011.

?

Have you lost that loving feeling?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2011.
  1. Yes, and now it's gone, gone, gone.

64 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No. I'm as pyched about the Rockets as I've ever been.

33 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. What loving feeling? I've never had it.

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I thought long and hard about whether to make this a new thread or to put it in one of our random trade threads. It's a bit lengthy, though, and I wonder if anyone else out there is having the same kind of fan-breakdown that I'm suffering from. And so a new thread it became.

These last 3 weeks leading up the trading deadline have become the most difficult time as a fan for me the past couple years. I think it started last year.

Before last year, I always felt somewhat secure in our roster. Maybe we'd make a trade, but it wouldn't likely be a Clyde Drexler or Charles Barkley type trade as we already had our foundation in place. The reason is that without a trade, since having Yao and TMac, we were already considered either contenders or very close to it. There was never a question about whether we'd make it to the playoffs or not. We were going to be there. We didn't need a trade, only good health. The only question was how far we'd get.

Then last year, with TMac hurt and Yao out, we all knew a trade had to happen. TMac was practically demanding to be traded or played, and RA wasn't going to play him. So a trade was inevitable, and the entire first half of the season became about what we'd get back in a trade. On the deadline, any information about what we were getting back was foggy. And it stayed that way until the next day.

This year, Morey has been very public about his goal, to trade for a superstar type player. We saw the results of last year's team without Yao and we witnessed the horrid stumble out of the gates this season. So we all know that it's inevitable that a trade will happen before the deadline this year as well. Unfortunately, since we've been scratching and clawing to try to get above .500 during the first half of this season, this whole looming trade has become a terrible distraction as a fan of the Rockets.

I find myself having a difficult time wanting to get too fond of any of the players on my own team because I don't know if they'll be here in four weeks. One of the things I've always had about my fanhood of the Rockets until last season was that I was fond of all our players. I thought of them as Houston's own. As a part of my hometown (and a link back, as I have lived outside of the Houston area for nearly 15 years). I'd defend them, cheer for them and feel disappointed for them in times of strife (there were lots of those).

But now that's changed. I feel like I've lost something, a close bond with individual Rockets, at least emotionally. Without a core foundation of a roster that I know we're building around, that I know we're keeping, I'm afraid I won't get that feeling again. I had it with Hakeem, then Steve, then Yao and TMac. Now for the first time since I became a Rockets fan, there is no franchise player. No one to really tie my heart to, to attach myself to as a fan, to identify myself with.

That is a terrible feeling.

I hope that once the trade deadline passes this season, that this all changes. That I go back to the way I felt that first season I became a fan (the beginning of the season of our first championship). There is no guarantee that it'll even happen. But whether it does or not, I now know that these last 3 weeks leading up to that deadline are the worst for me as a fan.

3 people like this.
  2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Should add one more to poll, something along the lines of 'It'll be there no matter what, but its just not as strong this very second' :cool:

3. srrono

srrono Member

I have the same thoughts sometimes when I am watching the Rockets games you just have to support the guys in red untill changes are made.
    We have 8 games between now and the trade deadline.
    vs. Memphis Grizzlies
    at Denver Nuggets
    vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
    vs. Dallas Mavericks
    vs. Denver Nuggets
    vs. Philadelphia 76ers
    at Detroit Pistons
    at Cleveland Cavaliers
    Rockets are (23-28)
    If they go (6-2) will be (29-30) still in reach of playoffs
    If the rockets cant go 6-2 in this window I believe a trade will not help us this year but we can hope a trade will set us up for a strong season next year.

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Trade our vets (Scola, Battier, and Brooks) for draft picks...blow it up

5. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

It's strange. Whether we get to the playoffs or not, which I always want, I still would not feel attached to the team without a franchise player. In other words, the success of the team doesn't matter too much as far as this terrible feeling I have as a fan goes.

The only thing that matters, as far this lost connection goes, is getting my identity back, having a team that I can look forward to having a year from now, and then a year after that.

Now, I'm not saying the team's success doesn't have an effect on me. I want a winning team. But even if we're winning, without a player that the club builds as the future of the franchise, the roster will always feel like it's in a constant state of flux for me. And that is what is destroying my tie to its players.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

:confused:

7. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

This is the same kind of talk that's creating the problem. I mean, it isn't you specifically. But it's the idea of what you said. "Just trade our players for..."

You're listing our best players, players that are the closest thing to franchise players for this team. And though that may be the solution, until something happens in which the organization tells us, "this player is the future of our franchise," I will continue having this unsettling feeling. A feeling of being a fan of a team that's in a constant state of flux.

8. seeingred

seeingred Member

hard to feel a connection to a group of streaky role players. last year was easier because A) most of us still believed (however delusionally) that Yao would return and help push us back into at least "dark horse" category for a title, and B) last years' team seemed to pull out gutsy wins often enough to be proud of them.

we have neither of those this year and it's hard to get attached when they are underperforming (even for a group of role players, i think they should have a better record than they do), and when there is every reason to believe several of them will be gone in a few weeks. i still like watching lowry, patterson, and williams (when he can claw his way onto the court) but even they are on the block as they are more valuable right now than AB, Battier, Budinger, etc.

and the saddest part is: if we keep all our guys and make no moves, that will be the most disheartening outcome of all.

1 person likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, being in a state of flux is unsettling. I completely understand where you are coming from.

Do you want me to depress you some more? Us Rockets fans are somewhat spoiled being a relatively stable franchise. Aside from our injury bugs, we've had it pretty good with constants like top notch coaches and stars.

Now that could all change. TMac and Yao getting injured could lead to the coaching staff giving up and bolting...they are no longer under contract this summer. Then we have no stars and no coaching staff leaving us to go with a mediocre or unproven coach. Players soon get jaded by no clear path.

We lose all identity.

Then Morey bolts.

No coaches, no stars and no GM. Pretty soon, the fans who yell at the coach, stars and GM might only have Les to yell at.

We NEED a winning streak!
    We need to make the playoffs!
    We need something to love!

Tanking while we are this fragile could send us down the dark abyss that many teams find it hard to escape.

10. dd89

dd89 Member

Such is life.

Walk it off.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's never fun to suck, but the way I look at it is that Morey's never had an opportunity like this one, where finally he was free from the shackles of contracts (and stars) he inherited.

This is a time where we could easily flounder, but it's also a time for Morey to leave his mark as the GM of this franchise. Even if we acquire no players before the break, nothing he's done before this point will matter as much as the decision he makes, hopefully by the trade deadline, in picking a direction for the Rockets. Then we'll see if he really was as smart as we lauded him for being, or if it was all smoke and mirrors and time to move on.

If he doesn't choose anything, well that's about the worst possible scenario, to remain on the fence the way we have the past two years. I'm interested to see what's going to happen, to say the least.

1 person likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I only lose the love when Battier is playing

13. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Just imagine if the Twolves, Bobcats, etc. had a great forum site like ours. It'd be full of these type of threads.

I can understand the frustration and disappointment that not only you, but everyone is going through with the current squad. This last road trip we showed we could keep up with the contenders.

There will be moves made before trade deadline. So don't stress about it, and whatever you do please stop cutting your wrists.

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Closest thing to franchise players? hahaha, whoa, you make them sound like semi-franchise players the way you said it there. lol. But players like Brooks are everywhere in the NBA...Nate Robinson..Jameer Nelson..Patrick Mills...Jonny Flynn..etc etc...the fact that they are our best players says alot about the sad state of our team.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED BEING A FAN OF THE MCGRADY-YAO ERA. But I don't think its the fact that the team is in a state of constant flux, its the fact that our team is stuck in mediocrity.

We don't have any stars apart from Kevin Martin.

Either way, if we don't get Danny Granger this trade deadline, its best we blow this thing up asap.

Lowry
    Martin
    Granger
    Scola
    Nene

This can get us a homecourt advantage in the west.

anything less, we might as well blow it up.

15. joesr

joesr Member

morey has a new contract

16. mhsc008

mhsc008 Member

Remember the Texans? They were 4-2 and if .....
    The Rockets are not a good team right now. They need more size to win consistently.

17. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i feel the same way as the OP mentioned. Since the depatures of Tmac/Landry and all the forum asking for yao to retire or be traded, I've felt a sense of loss as a rockets fan. i've always felt a sense of loyality and thought the organization did to, towards its players. But the last few years have been rough, every time the trade deadline comes someone is bound to go. Granted it is to improve the team but I am always torn, even wishing that the trade doesnt happen.

I do admit that with Morey at the helm, i also feel reluctant to connect to a player because he could be gone in a second.

I kind of wish Houston front office was more like OKC.

18. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

This season is defiantly trying times for Rockets fans. I'm becoming very impatience even tho I know Morey is making the right decisions. I want something, almost anything to happen but at the same time I don't want Morey to make a trade for the sake of making a trade. I'm hoping we start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This season is just dragging, probably my lowest as a Rockets fan. Trying to keep the fire alive.........

19. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

RedDragon kinda sounds like a whiny little B!tch.... Maybe DM is just striving to connect the bridge between our previous "Great Era" to our next "Great Era". Every franchise goes through a state of influx when they lose thier superstars to injury or old age...don't worry little lady - give it a few years and we'll be back competing. At least we don't have Kahn as our GM :p

20. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

They need to make a trade, just to get the fanbase excited again. Even if it's Battier and Jeffries for a snowcone. :p