1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congresswoman Shot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

then why is your post totally about that?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which post? I've seen him say repeatedly that the shooter most likely wasn't a tea party affiliate.

I may have missed something though.

3. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

This week Mr. Kanjorski told The Times-Tribune editorial board about how large companies don't want the government changing the way it does business because they make big money off the government, and about how he's getting closer to supporting a single-payer health care system "because the health insurance industry is about as corrupt as you can ask for as an industry."

"They're blood suckers," he said.

This was followed by a reference to Rick Scott, the Republican candidate for Florida governor, who was ousted in 1997 as head of the giant health care company Columbia/HCA, amid the nation's largest Medicare and Medicaid fraud scandal. The company paid $1.7 billion in fines and civil settlements.

"That Scott down there that's running for governor of Florida," Mr. Kanjorski said. "Instead of running for governor of Florida, they ought to have him and shoot him. Put him against the wall and shoot him. He stole billions of dollars from the United States government and he's running for governor of Florida. He's a millionaire and a billionaire. He's no hero. He's a damn crook. It's just we don't prosecute big crooks."

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/opinion...-nuts-bolts-from-blue-1.1052739#ixzz1Ab8sfWT5

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well this is a lot closer to someone on the "left" advocating real violence. This is exactly the kind of rhetoric that needs to be looked at shunned. It may not be exactly the same as what Kaufman or Angle said, but it's definitely in the neighborhood and the kind of talk that should be isolated and repudiated by both sides of the aisle.

One attempt after another, and you finally found one that is legit. I'm not sure why you felt the need to have others guilty of despicable rhetoric advocating violence, but you've done it. Even though he wasn't speaking quite as literally as Kaufman or Angle it's still this kind of horrible rhetoric that poisons the political discourse these days.

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Exactly.

The political discourse these days, from both sides, seeks to demonize and dehumanize the other side. When that type of discourse occurs, the speaker is part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

6. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

A 66-year-old man was sentenced Thursday to more than two years in federal prison for threatening Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite (R-Fla.) in the aftermath of the healthcare debate.

****​

The Tribune reported that when agents questioned Pidrman in April following his arrest, he expressed frustration over threats made against Democrats and said he probably thought, "Let me scare one of those righties."

Pidrman claims he was in an alcohol-induced black-out when he called the congresswoman's office in March and left a message saying, "Just wanna let you know I have 27 people that are going to make sure that this ***** does not live to see her next term."

"I'm terribly sorry that it ever happened," Pidrman said before his sentencing Thursday morning, according to the Tribune. "I very often watch the recycled news shows on MSNBC," at the time at which he made the call, he said.

Link

7. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Let's ALL take it down a notch, America.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not speaking about Tea Party / Palin for their language, but rather their policy towards gun control.

I don't think in this case they should be blamed because of the language used. It wasn't at fault, although it's nasty and creates an atmosphere where it could lead to this kind of thing...someone with a gun who loses control on their emotions can do some dangerous things. I remember as a kid, my dad getting into an argument with a man and they both got angry and the man went back to his truck and pulled out a gun and pointed it my dad. Was he going to pull the trigger. Obviously he didn't, but how far was he? He was sane and not a nut job. But in this country, being a nut-job schizophrenic will get you thrown out of community college and get you rejected from the army, but hey, you can buy all the guns you want thanks to the NRA and the Palin gang. Yes, it's legitimate to attack them on their policies. You better believe it.

That's why I don't have as much faith in the whole gun business as you do.

And the fact that a crazy person can buy a gun is deplorable and those who have fought for the rights of crazy people to have guns do have blood on their hands in this and many other instances.

9. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

A Madison man was arrested Tuesday in connection with a bomb threat Sunday afternoon that disrupted a town Republican fundraiser featuring Senate candidate Linda McMahon.

James Byrne, 70, of 34 Hotchkiss Lane, was charged with first-degree threatening, falsely reporting an incident, and second-degree breach of peace. He was released on a written promise to appear in court in New Haven on September 28.

Police say they received a call at about 4:35 p.m. Sunday saying their was a bomb in the 554 Boston Post Road home of Republican Town Committee Chairman Tom Banish where the fundraiser was being held. Madison Police and the Connecticut State Police bomb Squad responded to the scene, and the approximately 50 attendees were evacuated to the town green, where the event continued.

The Post Road was blocked off at both ends of the green for several hours, until the bomb threat was determined to be false.

Link

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

....yet it's only one side that seems to keep getting shot and stabbed.

11. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Understanding.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well Fox news is reporting that the shooter apparently had ties with right wing extremist group American Renaissance. I'm not sure why they would report it without more confirmation, unless I guess they just wanted to be the first to get the story.

Again, I think it had more to do with the shooter's insanity (as did any affiliation he had with the AmRen) than politics.

Anyway, hopefully people will start trying to keep things more civil. I think Boehner did a nice job by delaying house business for next week. It was respectful, and appropriate.

I still don't understand why when extreme examples of rhetoric were used everyone didn't just come out and denounce that kind of talk, instead of being so desperate to try and show that somewhere some how others had to be just as guilty. I think it's more about isolating those that use that kind of talk. At least I believe it should be.

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

da whooper, way to bemoan politicization of tragedy!

keep on rolling, good right-wing soldier!

14. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

15. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

The "Avatar" director was equally unsparing in his comments about those who don't accept global warming as fact.

"That's right," Cameron said. "I want to call those deniers out into the street at high noon and shoot it out with those boneheads."

Turning more serious, he added: "Anybody that is a global warming denier at this point in time has got their head so deeply up their a** I'm not sure they could hear me."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lachla...ate-deniers-glenn-beck-f-hole-0#ixzz1AbIlHfmj

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

We've gone over that. That wasn't condemned because we aren't stupid enough to think that an idiom was meant to be taken literally. Only the Amelia Bedelia-like people on the right wing that is somehow equal to the right wing folks like Angle or Kaufman who seriously said "If ballots don't work, bullets will."

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

In the meaningful news about this tragedy, Congresswoman Giffords condition appears encouraging.

"(CBS) TUCSON, Ariz. - CBS News Early Show medical correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton reports on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords' condition. She spoke with Dr. Michael Lemole, chief of neurosurgery at the University Medical Center in Tucson and one of the doctors who operated on the congresswoman.

He says Giffords remains in critical condition. She's heavily sedated and he's encouraged about her prognosis. Lemole said he's concerned with three particular issues. "

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/09/eveningnews/main7228830.shtml

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Another example of the collectively dangerous extreme left think process...the "hand to hand combat", "shoot it out" mentality and rhetoric towards those they politically oppose.

20. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

My Interests

Medicine, biology, mathematics, anything that doesn't involve Organic Chemistry, cars that don't begin with "Ford" and end with "Aspire", HBO series, Bill Mahar, politics, the hunting of neo-conservative Reaganites (a shooting sport brought to you by the republican party in more ways than one!), sleeping (it is sad when necessary life takes become occational hobbies).

Link