1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mission Critical: Losing Every Game Left

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I would add though that if you're very sure there's not a hottie left, you just might be able to steal a good-looking girl from a friend who is more drunk than you and surprisingly excited to get back out on the dance floor.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah but i dont think that chick your talking about from NY is still here. i think she may have left earlier on a stretcher after she fell down a flight of stairs and crashed through the glass dance floor all the way down to the bottom dance floor. i think her name was Isiah.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I thought Isaiah Thomas already traded his picks away?

:confused: :D

4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I don't think a draft pick will be enough, and relying on a draft pick isn't going to make us competitive next year. We need a real impact player - young, but a player that has their sea-legs and is capable of giving us 15 pts a night from the PF or SG position.

I wouldn't mind seeing JVG take a hike to be honest. One of the great things about Rudy T is that he attracted quality players because people loved to play under him. Having a coach like that might do more to improve our "assets" then the draft.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Again though, your post seems to suggest that losing these final few games is the wrong course of action. I hope no one is relying on a draft pick solely to make us competitive next year ... but the simple, undeniable facts are a) we get a first round draft pick no matter what, and b) the higher our pick, the better of an asset it is before it is used.

I might agree with you on the type of player we need... but that would almost assuredly have to come via trade (all the more reason to have stronger assets). I don't know of any coach who is ready to be hired for the final 5-7 days of the season and would have the kind of impact you're describing, but the team can certainly hire and fire anyone they want in the offseason.

I can promise you one thing though: Any new coach you hire would trade the 11th pick straight up for the 8th pick every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I don't think at this stage losing the next three games is anything but inevitable. This team without Yao and T-mac a really truly horrendous team. They will lose.

I want them to get as highest pick as possible as well. My point is simply that it's just not enough. One more role player isn't going to make this team a contender...with a healthy Yao and T-mac, they may be an also ran, but to get to the level of the elite teams, we need to have solid role players at the remaining positions.

Alston has been sparkling at times, but I just can't seem him guiding this team to a championship. Ditto with the PF and SG spots. Unless we can sign a few solid role players, and I'm not talking ala Derek Anderson or Swift, we're not going to be elite next year.

7. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

A top 7 or 8 pick, should be more then a role player.

If you are looking for the next Lebron or Shaq, that does not happen very often. Many great picks have been had in the 7-10 range, such as: Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton, Andre Miller, Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson, Kirk Hniirich, TJ Ford, Luol Deng, Channing Frye, etc..

None of these players were the quote, sure thing, but all of them have been better then a role player (or have the potential to be one day). I think your argument is better supported if we were drafting 14 or worse.

Sheldon Williams should be there at 8, and I seriously doubt he will be nothing but a role player. My hope is still for Roy :D

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I'm starting to get worried about the Spurs game. Yes, they're so far out of our league it's not even funny. BUT, their magic number against the mavs is 2 games, so if they beat minn and utah, our game against them will be meaningless. Pop will surely rest at least Duncan and Manu. Maybe Parker. A win in the last game of the season would be absolutely disastrous.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If the Spurs have that thing clinched up by then and are smart, they would do everything in their power to throw that game. They go to the playoffs with the West homecourt clinched and they drop an in-state rival 2-3 spots in the draft.

10. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

If they are capable of blowing a home game against the Magic, the Spurs could fall to Utah and hopefully that last game will mean something to them.

11. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

dont worry, even if they play their 3rd unit, they can still beat us easily.. I cant believe how deep that team is .. their bench players (Mohammed,Barry, HOrry, Udrih, Finley, VAn Excel...) all deserve to be starters in this league..

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

What scares me is JVG playing Howard, Wesley, Brunson and Mutombo. It is infuriating to watch those guys out on the court in such meaningless games. Why don't they bring Gerald Fitch in from the D-League for a few games and see what he has. JVG is trying to win these games at all cost. He was coaching his little heart out against the Timberwolves the other night. I just don't understand the guy.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't think either the Mavs or the Spurs want to end the season like 1-3 or 0-4 even if the games don't matter in standings. They might rest their starters some extra, but they will have eager (and good) bench guys and will want the Ws. The Spurs IMO don't care one iota what our draft is when they are trying to get on track to repeat.

The home game against Memphis is critical. That is a game Memphis should throw--helps them draw the much easier WC bracket and maybe even home court in the 1st round. But we were in a similar situation last year (except home court was not involved) where we should have made sure we lose to move to the 6th seed (draw Sea) instead of getting the 5th seed (draw Dallas who actually had a better record than Sea) and our dumb ass team/coaches didn't make those losses happen.

Those of you having a problem with Memphis or LAC this year, or us last year, losing on purpose to try to get the 6th seed instead of the 5th seed should blame the system. Right now the system rewards the 6th seed over the 5th seed probably 90% of the time. Another major bad side effect is there is a decent chance the two best teams of a conference will square before the final round--as would be the case with Dallas and SA this year. The fix to these problems are easy, it is amazing the NBA has not done it. All it would take is assuring the division winners be among the top 4 seeds, but not necc the top 3 seeds. Have the seeding among these top 4 (3 division winners + best non-division winner) determined by record strictly.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not to worry, anyone. We will lose out.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Your fix makes alot of sense. Which means it will probably never happen.

16. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

The annual NBA owner's meeting is next week in New York. One of the topics will be whether or not to change the playoff seeding. According to Granik, the initial comments from NBA owners is a mixed reaction to changing the format.

17. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

That's pretty damn funny. :D

18. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

That's pure gold signature material right there, m'friend. :D

19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

What the hell are the Warriors doing? I guess they'd have to win out to for us to catch them, but still... yay!

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah but everyone else we needed to win lost though... :(

but your right at least the warriors won. and they play the blazers twice still. so they might tie or pass us up.