1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(UPDATE: Rockets change stance) Rockets block ClutchFans from training camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Have you guys tried calling Matt and Adam tonight? At least Matt is a known member and has given love to CF.Net before.

2. droxford

droxford Member

Thanks for getting my back, guys!

I had to leave for a little while, but I'm home now.

I know I can be a real screwball sometimes, but I'm a Rockets fan and felt the slap in the face when they did this. I love this site.

I only wish it could have been Rockets management to have heard that call.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the organization monitors talk shows, web sites, etc.

What we really need someone to do is form a petition- I have a feeling that some might mistakenly think that it's only a few "screwballs" (not you, D, of course) that are angry about this and that the large majority don't care. Perhaps this can be done?

4. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Sorry but I've been out all afternoon apart from the occassional lurk in here, so I didn't get a chance to email anyone.

As for Mark & Rich, which Hooters will they be at? I'm willing to suffer the personal sacrifice and drag myself to Hooters to meet with them in person and discuss this.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Well, I WAS going to go to quite a few games this yr. To hell with that now. I hate it when big brother tries to blackball lil brother. I also hate it when businessmen make idiotic business decisions. Did anyone in the Rockets Marketing department take Marketing 101? Yeah...let's piss off the die-hard fans that love our team so much that they visit that site daily. :confused:

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

So has anyone thought of breaking this to ESPN?

Or is that just too much?

:D

7. SwiftRocket

SwiftRocket Member

Hey guys,

This has gotten me quite upset also so I am calling Matt and Adam. I m calling from D.C. so hopefully they put me to the front. Listen for Joel from D.C. I have never called but this situation demands it!

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

:D

Hey nice work Drox ~ one thing about these kinds of controversies is they bring all the 'Clutchfans' back together.
    _________

Well, I sent my emails off and I recommend everyone else that is reading this thread do the same -- I also hope everyone keeps their emails clean.

fanear@rocketball.com

9. qpx

qpx Contributing Member

Even they got Chinese version of their. I probably go there twice a year. While I come here day by day, most 5,6 times a day to check out the news.
    This is too ridicous and prop to all your true rox fan.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love the fact you guys are getting us heard on the radio. Way to go. I hope it gets some coverage in the local paper next. You know what I was thinking? This might be an interesting story for a show like Real Sports with Bryant Gumble on HBO. Anybody emailed them? They love David and Golliath stories. I'll email them next.

11. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The pen IS mightier than the sword.

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

as a die-hard rockets fan i am personally offended by this move.

i will not buy any rockets merchandise as long as the ban is in effect.

this is like ditka refusing to let the superfans eat in his restaurant...

mmm, polish sausage

13. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

This is so totaly right

wakkoman
    Senior MemberSince: Aug 2003Posts: 609 Member: #13698
    So has anyone thought of breaking this to ESPN?

Or is that just too much?

It can never be to much ...get some national attention and the mangement will change there postion on CF the more bad attention they get the better in this regards

For me i... WAS... buying alot of Rocket gear this yr for b-days and Christmas this i feel is the only way to show the MORONS in the front office they lose more than they gain ....Count me in on the delete of Rocket.com as what little bit of news about the team they put there is just Crap to what we get here

14. gem787

gem787 Member

i too am obviouly a die hard fan of this site, don't post too much but am outraged at this situation. i too have left voicemails and emails to fox 26 and will be following up on this and bring it up on radio station 610 and not let this die and i encourage all of u guys to do the same

i am glad people have posted the numbers and emails to call as makes my life easier as to who to contact,

on a side not i am way too addicted to this site cause i think i read each and every post so far for the past hour

please post and let me know how i can join in on any petitions and any activity to rectify the situation and i too am not going to buy the seven pairs of tickets i buy every year till this is rectified

ps although i hope this is rectified soon as i really want to go to the season opener

15. BMC

BMC Member

I am long time lurker here in DC. I have emailed everyone I know, every radio station I know, all Houston TV stations, Feigan, 610 radio and the Rockets telling them how angry I am.

16. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

A victim of your own success, Clutch.

From the perspective of driving traffic to Rockets.com, it does make sense. If Rockets.com has coverage that Cluthfans.net does not, people may start going there instead of here to get information.

Of course, what they fail to realize is what you have here is more then a site - it's a community - a shared experience that's a lot more then information distribution. You may not get the info first, but it will still come here, and people will still come here to get their info.

Clearly the guy who made the decision figured any blackslash would be minor, a cut-throat executive who probably doesn't care much about damaging a brand.

The way to beat these guys is to keep making this site better - so much so that the "competition" Rockets.com is always many steps behind. What you may not be able to provide in exclusiveness you can more then make up for in experience.

17. BMC

BMC Member

Email these knuckleheads for some national attention in the Baltimore, DC, Virginia area. They are a bunch of tools. They will talk about anything. Fill up their mailbox.

junksmail@aol.com
    WJFK 106.7FM STUDIOS
    10800 Main Street
    Fairfax, VA 22030
    Office: (703) 691-1900
    Studio: (800) 636-1067
    Studio: (202) 432-1067

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'll tell you what I really don't understand. If these guys are so threatened by the success of Clutchfans, why the hell don't they employ the whole "If you can't beat them, hire them!" philosophy? I'm surprised they haven't offered Clutch a job running Rockets.com. But then, I doubt the guy running their website is really incapable. Their website just must not be much of a priority to them. None of it makes sense.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I really have to say thank you to everyone here who responded. In fact if I could call everyone personally I would ... I am seriously blown away by the response. I rarely underestimate the fans here, but I honestly did not think this thread would go past 80 replies and I felt some would say, "Well it was fun while it lasted."

The impact of this was huge today. I had way too much going on and wasn't prepared for it.

The end result, for now, is the Rockets have changed their stance. I'll be going to the media availability for training camp on Tuesday and Wednesday, and hopefully Thursday. I'm not very optimistic that a Jeff Van Gundy-led camp will allow much view to the media of any of the practice, but I will be there tomorrow and hopefully come away with a story or two to tell.

My view is it took this type of response to cause a change, and it happened... and I believe firmly it was the right thing. While a professional sports team granting a "fan site" media access could run a risk of any Joe on the street saying he has a site and deserves access as well, a site with a track record like that of ClutchFans should prove to be an exception to any fan site rule. This is the 10th season for the site and the volume in readership rivals that of top accredited media sources, if not surpasses it.

As an aside, the risk of alienating the fans over such a small item in the grand scheme of things is so great in this case. For what they get in return from ClutchFans, I don't ask for much. I have a business, wife/3 kids and what seems like a million things that stem off of that ... I can not possibly attend media sessions full-time. Access to an hour-long media availability for a few days out of the year is a small request for a site like ClutchFans - in 1999 that was a pretty nice thing... by 2005, that should have been granted without a hitch, in my opinion. It's kind of like Rambo - you know, the man just wanted some breakfast. Nothing special, maybe an egg and a couple strips of bacon. Some unbuttered toast maybe. Instead Brian Dennehy is bussing his ass out of town and next thing you know the dude's dropping helicopters with rocks and all hell is busting loose.

As Stephen A. would say, I regress. What happens in the future from here I don't know, but you all had a huge impact in making this short-term fix happen and I do appreciate that.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Excellent news!

Congrats Clutch!

We have your back :D.

And thanks for helping us to be able to endure the off-season :).