1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The WWE/Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by stthomsfinest, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Plus I think they are bringing back Team Hell No vs. The Authority.
    And hopefully they haven't lost Dr. Shelby's #

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It was basically a house show with the inclusion of Lesnar to help hype Lesnar/Taker 3 at HIAC. You can't expect anything significant to happen at something like that. No titles were ever going to change hands. Lesnar was never going to lose before HIAC.

They do the same house show over and over. Cena and Rollins have fought 4 times at house shows since the RAW rematch after NoC and Cena wins every time. Jericho had been wrestling Owens at house shows since July.

The only reason this one was broadcast was because of the inclusion of Lesnar.

3. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

This Kane/Rollins angle sucks...

4. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

You seriously going to nitpick? Make it a World Championship match so he can go over clean, ****ing hell. Do I have to explain every little detail?

What the **** are you talking about with Lesnar and Reigns? Cena can lose a program to Seth Rollins and still stay in his same place because he is established and for a decade has been push strong.

Who needs to be kept strong? Cena will stay strong because he has 10+ years of booking behind him. Rollins isn't being booked as strong, he is a joke who can't beat lower ranked Champions. The booking is, Cena is the real star.

Rollins getting spotlight in the matches means nothing, he isn't a young guy getting his first rub, he is the World Champion and needs to be getting wins.

5. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Seth Rollins is a classic chickens**t heel. It's sad to me how many people don't understand that concept. He isn't supposed to "look strong". He's supposed to look like a coward who is keeping the belt by any means necessary, like Ric Flair did in every heel title run he ever had.

The money is in building it up to the point that the fans want the champ to be beaten by the hero so badly they'll pay through the nose and be on the edge of their seat to see it happen.

The problem with the booking here is establishing that hero. There are several candidates, but they aren't putting their time and money behind one enough to give Seth a proper foil.

But for Seth Rollins specifically, for the role he's supposed to be playing, he's being booked just fine. And, he's playing that role extremely well.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Can you remember a time when a champion lost to somebody 3 times?

Not sneaky DQ's to keep the title losses, just outright losses, because that's what happened to Rollins. That's what's pissing me off. They've made the US title a more important belt than the WWE title, simply because Cena has it. That's the belt everybody is striving for.

The WWE champion needs to be booked like the champion. I don't mind the sneaky heel booking, but it needs to looks like everybody is salivating to get that belt. Why wouldn't Cena want a shot at the WWE championship when he has repeatedly beaten the champion?

Not that I want Cena to be feuding for the belt, but this completely illogical booking drives me nuts.

7. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

I agree about everybody salivating to get the belt. That's a huge failure with WWE, not building up a thriving contender scene.

As for the losses, how many have been clean no interference losses? Just the one where Cena won the U.S. Title back at Night of Champions, right? I may be mistaken as I'm typing off the top of my head, but I believe most of the time it has to do with failed interference or other nonsense that leads to the loss. Night of Champions was the first one where he just straight up lost a fully clean match to Cena. Again, apologies if I'm wrong in that.

I do remember challenger's the Flair's title routinely beating him in non-title matches and tag matches leading up to the money match. Just off the top of my head I remember this with Steamboat, Sting and Luger. It happened quite often as he travelled to territories and put over local top draws. He would go in, lose a non-title match, then come back for the payoff and retain the belt. Hell, he even dropped the belt a few times in this situation. Sometimes it was recognized. Other times, like with Carlos Colon, it wasn't.

Aside from Seth's character, I agree that the Cena booking makes little sense. That's all I'm saying. I don't put the problem on how Seth's character is being portrayed. I put it on how poorly they're handling anything else.

I really think going public is the worst thing that ever happened to the company creatively. They will always book to the most marketable and globally acceptable bottom line now because that's where their money is. We have to deal with Cena ad nauseum because of this. It's also why you'll likely never see a guy like Bray Wyatt as champ, no matter how good he is, because they don't think you can send Bray Wyatt on Good Morning America. They have sponsors to answer to and big money investors, etc. etc.

It's the deal with being a global wrestling company. For good stories, you'll have to go to Japan or Ring of Honor, because they answer only to the people in the seats.

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Cena is a face champion of course he needs to be kept strong. It's going to put over whoever wins that open challenge (Balor, Zayn, Joe, etc). Rollins losing the U.S. title clean had to happen & losing the title rematch clean had to happen. I don't care if he lost to Cena at a house show that was filmed for the network featuring Brock in a quick little match. He dominated every big spot of those matches almost throughout and in the end that will be the things I remember about those matches.

Rollins beat Cena in his last WWE title defense and beat Sting clean in his last WWE title defense. The only matches Rollins' character needs to win to prove that he is the best in the company.

9. Beavis Stiffler

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The New York Yankees lost so I'm blaming Nikki Bella <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BellaCurse?src=hash">#BellaCurse</a> <a href="http://t.co/2VuuJOlR0Q">pic.twitter.com/2VuuJOlR0Q</a></p>&mdash; Chris Dyce II (@ChrisDyceII) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisDyceII/status/651606904150487040">October 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Sasha and Bailey.

The remix was better than the original.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

It was great but not sure it beat the last one from Brooklyn. Loved how Sasha scored her points and making that Izzy girl cry was pure heel gold.

Only nitpick was Bayley earning a pinfall early with the Bayley to Belly which is fine..but then she hit it on the floor a second time and quickly rolled Sasha in for a cover but Sasha kicked out and then hit it a third time from the top rope but Sasha kicked out. I'd have waited for the 3rd BTB too award that pinfall.

ASUKA though! Holy ****. I love her.

Wanna see this at NXT Takeover:London

Joe/Balor
    Becky Lynch/Bayley
    Crews/Breeze/Zayn/Itami #1 Contender match (If they are healthy then)
    Asuka/Emma
    Ready, Willing & Gable/Vaudevillains

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

She didn't kick out of the last one, she was "lucky" to have been pinned with her foot dangled on the rope.

Great match. Great story.

Rest of the card was meh tbh.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Great match, Sasha is a true star and Bayley is just amazing.

I loved how Sasha played the crowd during her beat down. I swear that Izzy girl is working and has been from the start lol.

The only thing I didn't necessarily love was the finish just cause its hard to get a great pop from a submission, and almost impossible when the crowd can't actually see them tap.

Would give the match a 9 of 10 and i think it was slightly better than the Brooklyn match.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I personally didn't think it was s good as the earlier womens matches. Some sloppy execution. I would put it 3rd behind Banks/ Bayley,Banks/Lynch, and the Fatal 4 Way. It was still really good, they have just set the bar so high. Sasha is a superstar, there's only a few men I would put ahead of her when it comes to must see performers.

And yes, if Izzy isn't in on it officially, she's clearly choosing to play into it. I think she was just a big Bayley fan, who they chose to bring into the angle.

As for the rest of the card, it was pretty underwhelming. The one performance of note was Gable and Jordan, I think those 2 are the next big stars in NXT. Jordan has the size and look that could play really well on the main roster.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

The WWE needs to bring back the TV championship this 4 belt thing sucks.

16. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Amazing match. The story telling was fantastic.

17. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Asuka makes me feel funny in special places. I'm sure a lot of it is out of fear, but I don't care. The jumping armbar is boss.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The US title that Cena wears is basically the television title.

19. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Asuka is brilliant, those freaking armbars. But why is the name pronounced Aska?

The crowd was losing there **** and people were crying. It was a great match, some sloppy execution as no relevance unless it is becoming unsafe. For all the sloppy execution they did a good job at making them part of the story or no-selling them.

Plus, I doubt a kid like that can act better than half the roster with the crying.

My only issue is the finish, Sasha can hear the fans count down the clock, she can hold a few more seconds. I think a pinfall victory would have work better.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In Japanese names, the u if almost silent. Sakura is Sakra, Daisuke is Dicekay, Sasuke is Saskay, English speakers usually mispronounce it.

And I certainly didn't think Bayley/Sasha was a bad match, just not as good as the earlier ones. I think the Brooklyn match had a better story, and better execution. The Becky Lynch match was technically almost perfect. 4 months ago it would have been the greatest women's match I had ever seen. It speaks for just how high a level they have set in NXT.