1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Triangle Offense Should Be Employed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by r35352, Dec 9, 2005.

1. r35352

r35352 Member

I think that what would solve many problems on offense would be if the triangle offense is employed. The team as it is currently constituted would be perfect for it. The Rockets should consider employing it exclusively.

2. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i've often wondered on that meself.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

yeah just like the lakers :D :p

4. Panda

Panda Member

Fire Ewing and hire Tex Winter!

5. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

and don't forget the champion bulls.

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Hell why not just hire some YOF's and a sina.com dudes to coach the offense?

You guys can be our Jack Pardee... run and shoot babyee!

7. Panda

Panda Member

Sometimes I'd like to see YOFs and YOF haters being put in a gladiator arena, duel it out, and end the crap once and for all.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell firing Patrick would be enough for me

Rocket River

9. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

What about the trapezoid offense?

10. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I agree...when you have a legit big man and a superstar wing, it would be smart to have the ball in a post position with others cutting and spotting up...this would also work considering Yao is unselfish enough to have the triangle feature Tracy more so than him as well...

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

an interesting concept lol

let's see how it pays off.

12. RocketsFAN3035

I have to admit, I laughed out loud at this......I'm in favor :D

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

It would be interesting to see Yao utilized more as a passer in the high post ala Brad Miller / CWebb / Vlade.

J

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Triangle would be perfect for this team. It should be our halfcourt offense on every play. It emphasizes spacing AND off-ball movement, something that's sorely lacking in our current scheme. Every time I saw something last year that "looked" like a triangle play, Yao got the ball one-on-one four feet from the basket. Needless to say, it was effective. We have all the personnel for it.

Force down low? Check.
    Superstar wingman? Check.
    PG that's money with the open shot and doesn't necessarily need good court vision? Check. (It's Head, btw)

The only problem would be that the scheme is really, really complicated. Let's just say it's as complicated as JVG's defense and our new players are having trouble grasping that. How hard would it be to digest a new offense along with a new defense?

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

ugh...

do you guys think before you type?

triangle offense :confused:

16. dream2franchise

I'm sorry but can someone tell me what a YOF is? i keep seeing the expression and all i know is that it has something to do with yao...

thanks

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

This is an Edc type thread.....where you at Edc.....? :D

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If we can't get easy points of fastbreaks could you recommend a better half-court offense? Pick and rolls can only be used so much. Meanwhile, Phil Jackson used the triangle every play and won six championships. It's an effective scheme like the Princeton. It's not like I'm saying we have to fire JVG and hire Phil or something.

19. ergo

ergo Member

YOF = Yao Only Fan

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

A true triangle offense takes too long to learn. That's why very few teams (HS, college or pro) deploy it even though Tex Winter invented it the 1960's. Observe that it took PJ two whole seasons before he and Jordans' Bulls could overtake the Bad Boy Pistons. It's why Phil "dusted off" players that already knew it when his core talent was Shaq and Kobe. It's why in spite of having Kobe and Lamar, PJ's current Lakers are struggling mightily.

Ultimately, all systems are player (talent) dependent. The triangle without MJ wasn't quite as impressive. And even with MJ, the Rockets and Dream (running a fairly conventional inside-out offense) were 16-14 overall and 5-1 in MJ/PJ's first 3 ring run. The NBA with 30 teams is a pretty competitive business and if the triangle were a "magic bullet" there would be more than 1 team running it. And even if it were "magic", I doubt Barry, Wesley, DA, Sura, Juwan, and probably not even Alston have enough years left to learn it.

Lastly, anyone who cares to look deeply enough will see the Rockets already run a series of sideline triangle (triple post) offense. Watch closely the next time you see Yao in the low post. Observe when there are also 2 other Rockets stong side. The "reads" are not exactly the same as PJ's (actually Tex Winters') triangle. But the floor spacing is identical.