1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will Obama accomplish in his first year?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HayesStreet, Oct 31, 2008.

Tags:
  1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Obama will be like Roosevelt. He will have to be for more change than he intended or things will get much worse and he is in danger of being a one termer.

If anyone can do it, he can.

Don't think the financial crisis is over.

Obama will fail if he tries to have guns and butter, too. (ending the war in Iraq, while wasting huge amounts of money continuing to occupy Afghanistan).

The insurance lobbies and the energy lobbies are huge. He will have to lead a ground swell of public opinion if he is to hope to overcome them.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Americans were overtaxed. The made too much of an adjustment though and we became undertaxed.

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Really, let's try to stay on point please.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Checked my Crystal Ball keychain:

I don't expect a whole lot in the first year. This is going to be a boring year. :(

Market will rebound by itself. Democrats cheer Obama's brilliance. Republicans roll their eyes and grab the guns, bitterly.

We declare that we've left Iraq, but our troops remain to help 'train' the Iraqi forces.

More troops in Afghanistan, but no other conflicts. Taliban regains power, but we declare the Surge II was a resounding success. (Genocide will occur in Africa, but the U.S. will take a back seat to the UN. UN does nothing.)

1 New supreme court justice. It will not be Hillary, but it will be a female.

What's this? Getting murky, but I think I see something... oh my goodness! wait, huh? Rockets win the NFC North?? And the Super Bowl!?

My Crystal Ball keychain is defective.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The question was asked. I answered. I think a new thread for one line would have been pointless, and I didn't have time to post my thoughts on the thread.

Pass a 2nd Stimulus package, assuming one hasn't been passed before he takes office.

Pass a portion of his proposed tax plan.

Set a deadline for troop withdrawal from Iraq.

Start moving troops from Iraq to Afghanistan.

No healthcare changes.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

To be fair, Clinton left office with a burst tech bubble and a country heading into recession.

Here is one thing I expect. The United States economy will turn around, maybe in 2009, maybe in 2010/11, but it will turn around. Alan Greenspan has already predicted that after we clear out all the trashy financials and since we've gotten the markets back to reasonable levels, we will have a base for an extended bull market and strong, steady economy.

It has already been predicted, and it will probably happen. Obama will get to take credit for it despite probably having little or no influence. The best thing he can do is inspire confidence in the general population, which often leads to a better economy in and of itself. I'm hoping he'll create a confidence in the American public and not mess up any economic turn around that we'll already have coming down the pipeline.

AFTER we have the economy come back, then he can try to balance the budget and even raise some taxes if it takes that for all I care. His biggest mistake would to be to try to force feed a bunch of tax raises and expensive policies before the US economy turns around.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WBjzAa1yikY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WBjzAa1yikY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I love the three Stooges. But it may be a bit premature to be measuring the Drapes. New reports out on the early voting Iowa and Nevada favor McCain and Ed Rendell is pleading to Obama to come back.

Obama Come back

Closer than you think

Obama Obliged by holding events 4 days straight. And today is spending all day in Iowa and even trick or treating with his kids there (I thought it was locked up). Maybe he should bring Biden along with him and dress him up as Hillary. Also speaking of Biden he is rushing back to Delaware to lock Down his old senate job. I guess he is alittle concerned he might be unemployed after November 4th. Anyway Obama is not playing offense anymore.

#27 Old Man Rock, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I think what hayes is looking for is if there will be enough people to rally behind the Obama administration in the event of a new intervention.

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I really hope so...

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This post was as pointless as your point, Faos! :p ;)

11. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Obama will do what Clinton was able to do in his first term; get the Rockets to the finals for two consecutive years!

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then it will have been worth it!!! :cool: :D

13. Landlord Landry

The Freedom of Choice abomination.

The unFairness Doctrine.

and probably a bigger recession.

lots of 'change'.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Obama is already making his presence felt. During October, when it became fairly clear that Obama would win the election, the stock market priced in his impact on the American economy. You know what the result was.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I love this preemptive line of attack. I've been expecting it.

The stock market is crashing and it's all because we're about to elect a democratic president.

is this the new talking point? I've seen it several times in the last few days.

16. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

This is perhaps the stupidest statement I have EVER heard on the economic crisis. It's like you just aren't trying anymore.

I would refute that with basic macroeconomics 101, but at this point I'm not even sure if this is a joke or an attempt at a political point.

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Actually, screw this, I want to dismantle this piece of crap. I'm half-dead, but this really pisses me off for some reason.

If you hold that the election of a president has a significant impact on the stock market (which is a stupid assumption in of itself), then what do these historical trends tell us?

U.S. Stock Bulls Best Served By Democratic Victory

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=axt7Qr7cOyVo&refer=us
    The stock market prefers Democratic presidents to Republicans.
    http://www.slate.com/?id=2071929
    And...the show rolls on.

5 myths about the election and stocks

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27362019/
    Bleh, even the traders see no hope for McCain...

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Respectabliity?

At least Bush kept used the Oval Office as a place of work and not his personal w**** house.

19. bucket

bucket Member

If only Bush's mistakes were the same as Clinton's.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

having people die in war that should have never happened is more important to me